SEARCH
MORE
Upland/Small Game

Dove hunting

8/4/17 @ 6:46 PM
INITIAL POST
BackThePackOutdoors
User since 7/23/17

Anyone have any tips or pointers on dove hunting Wisconsin? I tried  dove hunting for the first time last year and saw little success. I spent most the time hunting dnr managed dove fields. Any help is much appreciated feel free to pm me. Thanks. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 26 posts
8/24/22 @ 1:32 PM
fetch-um-up
PRO MEMBER User since 2/19/06

Tell me about it!  Last year couple guys in my group arrived 2½ hours before shooting at a public dove field to find a dozen vehicles already there!......

8/24/22 @ 7:44 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

I’d like to know too. Haven’t hunted public in years. Last couple of times I went out it was crowded and I was getting sprayed with shot. I’d like to find something more remote. The DNR site does show where the fields are planted but I have not done much scouting. 

8/23/22 @ 5:19 PM
fetch-um-up

Time to bring this back up to the top! What's everyone's thoughts on the dove population in Southeast Wisconsin? Has the DNR been able to get any fields of sunflowers to any hunting condition? Not looking for spots, just a general consensus.

9/4/21 @ 5:13 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Little rusty, bagged 5 on Fri and missed a good few.  Standing corn edge. 

I agree, definitely one of the better years for bird numbers. Hopefully bag a few more for  holiday grilln time. Bella all fired up with a few feathers hanging in the mouth.  

9/4/21 @ 10:08 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

Has anyone been out to the fields in  New Munster or Footville?  Have not been in a couple of years but thinking of heading out next week. 

9/3/21 @ 8:50 PM
FishingDad33
User since 1/21/19

Limited out on the 1st and 2nd on public land. Lots of doves around this year. Too bad its almost impossible to find steel shells.

9/2/20 @ 6:52 AM
fetch-um-up

Hunted the opener in Rock Co.  Arrived 90 minutes before dawn only to find 20 vehicles in the parking lot, some admitted to arriving at 2am!  We didn't have a plan B location so we carefully took a spot up the hill in the field away from the field and crowd to wait for daylight to find a safe area.  Our spot turned out to be better than most and we hunkered down and killed 8 doves.  I think the State needs to put a little more thought into it's sunflower field planting and management.  Granted they are always at the mercy of the weather, soil conditions and their budget, but they could definitely be planted and mowed differently too maximize the effectiveness and spread out the pressure...    

8/28/20 @ 10:16 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

I read an interesting article yesterday about the benefits to hunting doves later in the season.  The author stated that October can be a great time to scout the sunflower and cut grain fields again for late migrating or native birds since they will still use those fields as a food source.  I usually like to hunt the first two weeks of September.  That was great when I had access to private planted sunflower fields.  I tried the public fields a few times and they were overrun with hunters. Haven't gone back in a couple of seasons but now I'm thinking about trying to get after late season birds.

Anyone have any luck in October or even November?  For that matter, is the season even open?  Guess I should find that out first.

8/19/20 @ 9:00 PM
fetch-um-up

Scouted close to a dozen fields.  Most are weed choked with stunted flowers.  Talked to a tech mowing fire laned and he said they didn't get sprayed for weeds this year.  Not very optimistic about the opener, at least on public managed fields.......

8/19/20 @ 1:48 PM
Wilbur29
Wilbur29
User since 10/25/13

Lot's of doves around again this year, Necedah area. Used a robo and decoys last year with great results, can't wait until the 1st!

8/18/20 @ 10:01 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

Skipped the season last year. Haven’t scouted the fields but thinking about venturing out opening day. Anyone been scouting?  

9/13/19 @ 1:35 PM
mike51098
User since 1/10/08

Can't believe how many people or should I say vehicles are in the parking lots of the dnr dove fields this year.  The fields aren't big enough for all the vehicles I've seen.

Very surprised, weekend and weekdays are packed.

8/3/19 @ 11:05 AM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

Anyone planning to hunt doves on public land this year?  I’m scouting some new spots to try and avoid getting crowded out. 

9/3/18 @ 8:35 PM
fetch-um-up

Hunted a sunflower field in Rock county in between the rain Saturday and Sunday.  Didn't get out till noon on Saturday.  More birds than I expected, picked up 8 before it got to hot and skeeters drove dog and I out.

Went to same field Sunday and don't see a bird till 8:30.  Amazing how sensitive they are too pressure!  Going to give it couple days off and try again later in the week.......

9/3/18 @ 1:07 PM
Birdyboy
Birdyboy
User since 8/24/07

Anyone get out in Wisconsin this weekend?  I’m trying to get out this week. Hoping it will cool off a little bit. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 26 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE