Dec shot size?

11/15/14 @ 12:55 PM
ORIGINAL POST
silvrbck
silvrbck
USER since 6/29/04
Hello all. I'm new to this area of the site as well as to pheasants. My dogs new too. I'm putting together a Christmas Eve pheasant shoot for the fellas in the family. I want everything to be perfect, so I need advice on late season shot size as I am new pheasants. Whats a good shot size for both 12 and 20 gauge? Are pheasants like ducks where you go to a heavier load once it get colder? Sadly, I have alot of 3" 4 shot waterfowl loads left over from this season. Will these work or is it too much firepower. I'm looking for something affordable and reliable. Thanks all.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 Posts
11/16/14 @ 8:33 AM
GoldenRules
GoldenRules
USER since 10/29/13
Number 4 steel will work fine.

Post Your Comment
11/16/14 @ 12:08 AM
silvrbck
silvrbck
USER since 6/29/04
Haha. Thanks for the laugh and advice fellas. Happy hunting.

Post Your Comment
11/15/14 @ 1:17 PM
Troy Stoeger
tstoeger
USER since 4/2/02
Good to see safety first on the dog!

As far as shot size goes, once there is snow on the ground, I go to heavier shot and a tighter choke with both 12 and 20. I usually start out fairly open, IC or LM and as the grass gets packed down, the birds get skittish and the snow impedes things, I usually go to a M or IM choke in my 20, I haven't hunted with my 12 late in the year as I just got it this year but would imagine the same scenario applies. As far as shot size goes, I usually start off with 6 or so but move to 4 or 5 lead. 4 steel isn't too big, problem with steel though is that it loses a lot of kinetic energy quickly and you may not get the penetration you're looking for on those long flushes that are more common later in the year. Really it comes down to the distance of the flushes more than anything else. If you have a bunch of steel shot sitting around, by all means use it up. I only use it when I have to though. I'd rather throw lead.

Troy Stoeger Guide Service
(920) 277-5578
Post Your Comment
11/15/14 @ 1:14 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
Even if you dress your dog like a person he still isn't allowed his own limit! LOL!

Post Your Comment