BOBCAT HUNTING

4/23/17 @ 10:57 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Hardcore-Wisconsin
Hardcore-Wisconsin
USER since 8/10/10

i was just wondering how many preference points or how long it takes to draw a tag in wiscoinsn. we have been seeing more and more bobcats on our property

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
12/7/17 @ 8:41 PM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Missed all the drama about the tags, and population.  I will say though. We do not have the cats like the other states mentioned. Now I pursue them 100+ days every year. Guess that gives me a good Idea on whats out there!

I have seen them virtually wiped out in my part of the state. Where we could have several trucks, and sleds out looking for a cat. Put couple hundred miles on each vehicle each day. With nothing to show for it.  Still happens some days. Where I will put 100+ miles on looking for a track to run. Going in on foot for a few miles to check creek bottoms, and swamp edges.

This happened several times last year. I can give you the contact info of clients to confirm this. Just because you see on, or have a pic on a game camera does not mean there are thousands.

I personally feel the state has done a great job in restoring the population.  I wont even take more than a couple clients a year. Knowing how fragile the population is in WI.  It's nice now though. To almost be able to find a track each day to run. Still not always the case. May still go several days without being able to find one moving.

In fact almost every day. I can find more wolf tracks than I can cats. Which really is far more of a concern to all hunters in the state!!

The upside though to it all. Means that there are more BIG CATS out there. Helping to keep this state on top of the record books.  I know now where more 40+ lb cats are than ever before.  This is one thing the DNR has not screwed up!! 

Not a single client here this year. So looks like no cats will be harvested in my area. Still should be plenty of fun, as we train the dogs for the future. Which is more fun to me anyway.  Could care less to kill anything. The fun is over once you pull the trigger!!!!

Post Your Comment
4/26/17 @ 11:31 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11

I merely replied to the OP and his/her question on wait time/points needed to get a tag.

I tend not to question those with an educated background on these matters as I have none.

What is this now, 3 or 4 threads you have dredged up the same old, same old rants?

Tim

Post Your Comment
4/26/17 @ 9:03 PM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

So what are the pros of Wisconsin having a ten year wait on bobcat tags Tim? Is our WDNR protecting Wisconsins "delicate "bobcat population or just generally trying to wipe out Wisconsins grouse,rabbits,squirrels and pheasants? Maybe they have a much much hardier breed of bobcat the stones throw across the border in Michigan and Minnesota. Maybe they have the super bobcat ............while Wisconsin has its inferior lowly cousin? Why else would there be  such an absolutely differing view on our neighboring states bobcat management? I'll be waiting for the new species designation. Lol .  Michigan and Minnesota don't seem alarmed at all with bobcat overharvest while Wisconsin seems absolutely terrified of bobcat overharvest.  Could it be that   Minnesota and Michigan actually value a balanced ecosystem ? Could it be that they both value thriving small game populations and the hunting traditions that they instill in young hunters. Minnesota and Michigan figured out they can have thriving small game populations along WITH plentiful opportunities to hunt or trap bobcats. That's a big win   for sportsmen in those states IMHO. And as usual with our pathetic WDNR management a huge loss for Wisconsin sportspeople with large  loss of opportunities on both the predator (bobcat)and the prey .  I wonder which states are right and which are all wrong. This isn't a gray issue Tim.  These are the EXACT same bobcats. In almost the EXACT same habitat, in a lot of cases probably crossing back and forth BETWEEN  the states. Hunted and trapped hard in neighboring states and  massively protected in Wisconsin. As always only in Wisconsin.  Inquiring minds would like to know Tim.

Edited on 4/26/17 9:21 PM
Post Your Comment
4/26/17 @ 3:34 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11

Farnorth, you're slipping. It took you 3 days to drag your old, tired rant over to this thread.

Tim

Post Your Comment
4/26/17 @ 12:38 PM
Farnorthbadger
Farnorthbadger
USER since 12/7/13

More and more bobcats and less and less small game. Exactly as planned by our outstanding WDNR leadership. A 9-10 year wait on bobcat in Wisconsin while Michigan and Minnesota bobcat hunters receive multiple bobcat tags every year for every hunter. 

Post Your Comment
4/23/17 @ 12:01 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11

9-10 points from what I've heard

Tim

Post Your Comment