"best" 22LR load for squirrels?

11/4/12 @ 8:24 AM
ORIGINAL POST
dray
dray
USER since 4/7/10
What are your recommendations for 22LR loads for squirrels and why? Solid point vs. hollow points? Brands you suggest? I'm shooting a Ruger 10/22. Thanks.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 20 Posts
9/25/14 @ 2:52 PM
ThreeFiftySeven
ThreeFiftySeven
USER since 3/14/03
If I use a shotgun, it's when the leaves are still up and it's simple to aim forward and only catch the head. Normally, it's my .22 and the brand would be CCS because they're cheap.

Post Your Comment
9/25/14 @ 11:56 AM
Fishmiester
Fishmiester
USER since 6/17/09
IMHO, I feel any shotgun is no challenge at all and not much fun. I myself and my hunting partner use high powered air rifles in either 22 or 25 cal.they are very effective and are a lot safer shooting than a 22 rimfire, especially if you are shooting up into the trees. If you get a good quality gun and scope you can easily head shoot squirrels at 50 to 70 yards.and they don't make much noise incase you miss you may get a 2nd shot or be able to shoot his friend in the bext tree over.If anyone wants any info on what rifle to look at message me and I can give you some ideas.

Dean

Post Your Comment
9/24/14 @ 7:47 PM
bigfish35
bigfish35
USER since 3/29/13
Just wondering what your guys favorite squirrel loads and guns are. Looking for something to talk about. Personally, I like to use a 410 with 6 shot

Post Your Comment
12/6/13 @ 6:32 PM
Silvia180sxboy
Silvia180sxboy
USER since 4/14/08
If I could shoot squirrels at 25 yds or less, I'd just shoot an airgun. Much cheaper. The times I've hunted squirrels, most shots were 50+ yards, try to get any closer and they run to a nearby hole.

Post Your Comment
12/6/13 @ 6:44 AM
haf2fsh
haf2fsh
MEMBER since 6/23/01
Another interesting topic for the younger hunter but its not rocket science gentleman. I've hunted squirrels for almost 60 years. Grandpa always said the best .22 shells to hunt squirrels with is whatever you can fine, in your coat pocket or on work bench. For years I shot a Stevens Favorite using shorts never took a shot over 20 yards, always a head shot. In the 70's I bought a Winchester slide with 3 power scope went to long rifles increased range to 25 yards was almost like cheating still making head shots. It all comes down to how you hunt, shot selection and how good a shot you are, quality of guns and ammo are not that great of factor. Loved watching the bushy tails this past deer season had several come within 10 feet of me trying to figure out what that orange thing was.

Post Your Comment
12/6/13 @ 4:31 AM
Silvia180sxboy
Silvia180sxboy
USER since 4/14/08
17hm2 is nice but it's getting harder and harder to find ammo. With a .22, nothing gets the job done better than CCI Velocitors. I've seen the CCI Stingers split apart squirrels before.

Post Your Comment
12/4/13 @ 9:54 AM
uplander
uplander
USER since 10/6/09
first off i use a old marlin single shot dad gave me as a kid or a henry lever that is scoped. the single shot aint scoped. I shoot remington sub sonic hollow points through these 2 guns. I also found out they dont like to get shot out of my 1911 22 that I dont use for hunting. That gun shoots CCI only. I think it has something to do with the amount of powder. I didnt get out alot this year but I did get a few rats. 3 with the old single shot and 10 with henry. It is alot of fun to go with the old gun and is a challange. I just rediscovered squirrel hunting about 10 or 12 years ago. Its alot of fun and brings back very fond memories of hunting with my uncle as a kid. He always squirrel hunted pretty much thats all he hunted. He loved them and made them so many different ways. awsome eating when he would make it.

Post Your Comment
11/19/13 @ 5:38 AM
lar
lar
USER since 7/13/01
17hmach2 is the ultimate

Post Your Comment
9/26/13 @ 2:26 PM
ole 870
ole 870
USER since 6/27/01
It doesn't matter if you use hollow points or solids, the problems happen when you switch between the two or between different ammo brands. Once you are sighted in with a certain style and brand, stick with it. If you have a lot of different brands, re-sight in your gun when switching over to the next brand. And you should always be aiming for the head, what the hell good is it to gut shoot squirrels that can easily scamper back to their nest or hole to die a slow agonizing death, on top of that it makes one hell of a mess skinning with guts popping out of the holes. Some people's kids.

Post Your Comment
9/24/13 @ 6:43 PM
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
I shot these with Lapua high velocity solids. I was down to my last box of Green Tags and couldn't find anymore so I had to quick sight in with what I had and found out that my Kimber likes the Lapua's better than the Green Tags.

Edited on 9/24/13 6:43 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 20 Posts