Best 12 gauge ammo for pheasants

12/22/13 @ 1:57 PM
ORIGINAL POST
BadgerRedd
BadgerRedd
USER since 3/11/07
What brand/shot ammo do you think is best for getting pheasants?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts
10/12/14 @ 9:02 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
USER since 3/14/08
Reloads Longshot powder 5 shot 1 3/8 oz.

Post Your Comment
10/11/14 @ 9:33 AM
Troy Stoeger
tstoeger
USER since 4/2/02
Fiocchi Golden Pheasant in 5 early and 4 later in the season. I don't go any smaller than that even on the pen birds here in WI. I would rather use more shell than is needed and drop the bird like a rock than deal with cripples and runners. I shoot a 20 though but when I used a 12 for pheasants, it was the same. Let the dog find live birds and retrieve dead ones rather than chase wounded birds.

Troy Stoeger Guide Service
(920) 277-5578
Post Your Comment
10/11/14 @ 9:33 AM
Troy Stoeger
tstoeger
USER since 4/2/02
Fiocchi Golden Pheasant in 5 early and 4 later in the season. I don't go any smaller than that even on the pen birds here in WI. I would rather use more shell than is needed and drop the bird like a rock than deal with cripples and runners. I shoot a 20 though but when I used a 12 for pheasants, it was the same. Let the dog find live birds and retrieve dead ones rather than chase wounded birds.

Troy Stoeger Guide Service
(920) 277-5578
Post Your Comment
12/28/13 @ 4:39 PM
haf2fsh
haf2fsh
MEMBER since 6/23/01
I haven't hunted in years, dogs died I got old and ringnecks disappeared. I hunted Iowa late 70's until early 90's lots of birds so was really spoiled. Was a waste of time hunting Wisconsin. I load my own shells, shot an O/U if I was in bird country only depending if we were in standing corn or fence rows. High brass #6 in mod. barrel, mag #6 in full choke. If I was in quail country would use trap 7 1/2 and 6 high brass. Beauty of over and under could switch out types of shells easily, I carried a good many different loads with me. Brother was switching out his 1100 all the time.

Post Your Comment
12/28/13 @ 1:08 PM
Foundry Rat
Foundry Rat
USER since 1/21/10
I use my own reloads. #5 shot, pushed by Long Shot powder at max velocity. I use soft shot in a mod choke followed by hard (magnum) shot in a full choke. My second barrel will kill clean way out. 6's give a more full pattern but 4's have more punch. I like 5's as a compromise.

Post Your Comment
12/27/13 @ 6:30 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
USER since 3/20/02
You guys are technically correct about the O/U barrel choice. I shoot the top barrel first since if I only take one shot it is quicker for me to switch out the top empty shell than the bottom one. Just been doing it for so long that it works for me.

Post Your Comment
12/25/13 @ 10:20 AM
watspan
watspan
USER since 8/3/12
for wisco pen chickens, I like 2-3/4 plated shot #6 or #5 w/ an IC choke. If birds are flushing long, Mod choke.

For Wild NoDak birds, 3" plated #5 lead w/ a Mod or even a full choke.

Browning BPS Stalker and an AWS!

I like Winchester Supreme and have used Fiocchi Golden Pheseant. But I'll also use Rem or Federal. A friend gave me a box of Estate brand shells he swears by that I have yet to try.

Edited on 12/25/13 10:22 AM
Post Your Comment
12/25/13 @ 7:45 AM
fetch-um-up
fetch-um-up
USER since 2/19/06
luvmynitro, the reason you get more pellets in a load if steel as compared to lead, 316 vs 225 per ounce for #6 shot, is simply because steel is lighter than lead. Lighter shot will loose its energy faster than heavier shot, all things being equal, velocity,size and shape, carry less energy down range, and not hit as hard. You are having success using it because it is a faster load, usually leaving the muzzle couple hundered FPS faster, to compensate for the above, and you are correctly compensating for the shorter shot string. Whatever your doing, keep it up! More states will be going the way of non-toxic shot in the future and some hunters that don't have a lot of history waterfowl hunting will have a little learning curve..........

Post Your Comment
12/24/13 @ 8:36 AM
huntfish
huntfish
USER since 6/16/03
Went to SD deer hunting and limited out the 1st weekend so had time to pheasant hunt which we never did before. Buddy handed me a 12 gauge with #2 or 3 duck loads. While able to knock them down, some got up again and took off running. Switched to #6 loads and solved that issue. You want a spread to catch head/neck area also. Unbelievable you could hit the wing folded down, feathers everywhere and pheasant still managed to run away in thick cover.

Edited on 12/24/13 8:37 AM
Post Your Comment
12/23/13 @ 6:34 PM
luvmynitro
luvmynitro
USER since 3/21/10
Fishmunkee...Ditto is correct. IC on the bottom barrel, Mod on top barrel. Bottom barrel first shot, top barrel second shot.

BadgerRedd...I shoot Winchester Super X 2 3/4" steel #6 on my pheasants. More BB's than #6 lead because of a different shot cup shape. And use IC when you'd normally use a Mod choke. Steel holds tighter further out. Yesterday I had 7 roosters come up within 20 feet of me....in the middle of a woodlot that was surrounded by public hunting land. Almost felt like it took forever to give the birds time to get out to a distance where I could shoot. I missed the first one, but the next two went home with me.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts