April Snowstorms Affect On Grouse Nesting

4/15/18 @ 8:55 AM
ORIGINAL POST
thinblueline
thinblueline
USER since 1/25/10

I don’t know much about ruffed grouse nesting. I know last year was supposed to be the first year of the cycle upswing based on drumming counts but cold wet weather in the spring took its toll on broods and the season proved pretty poor for many. 

With much of grouse country buried in a couple feet of heavy wet snow here in mid-April and the cold continuing through April to keep much of the snow around, will ruffed grouse delay nesting until enough of the snow is gone? Can they even nest with so much widespread snow cover? Will they abandon the idea of nesting if we get beyond a certain point on the calendar and still haven’t been able to nest? Will the cold weather and deep snow have a negative affect on the physical condition of nesting hens and their ability to produce? 

Anybody have the answers to these questions?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 27 Posts
6/12/18 @ 10:45 AM
thinblueline
thinblueline
USER since 1/25/10

Yeah I lucked out finding a guy in Denmark, WI who had a little male left from his one litter every other year. That was only 25 minutes from my house instead of having to go out of state. My 15 month old’s grandpa is the late Vernon, but I don’t know about the rest of his bloodlines. I have a photo of him in the Dogs and Dog Training forum in the Pictures of your Hunting Dogs thread. My photo is the most recent posting in that thread. 

I just wish the little Frenchies weren’t so expensive otherwise I’d prolly have a second one. 

Post Your Comment
6/12/18 @ 8:13 AM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
MEMBER since 7/24/01

Yes I have a frenchbrittany that is 2 years old. He is my third one. The first two came from Hunrunner kennels in Montana. My 2 year old is from plum creek kennels in South Dakota. Fun dogs but lots of energy.

Post Your Comment
6/11/18 @ 8:57 PM
thinblueline
thinblueline
USER since 1/25/10
So what kind of dog do you have frenchbrit, lol? Assuming you have a Frenchy(ies), I’d be curious where you got yours. Not too many Frenchy breeders in Wisconsin that I could find. 

Post Your Comment
6/11/18 @ 2:24 PM
frenchbrit
frenchbrit
MEMBER since 7/24/01

Friends wife was coming home from work and saw a grouse with ten just hatched chicks behind her. The brood was on a busy blacktop side road. She pulled her car sideways in the road blocking it and went out to get the chicks and mother grouse across. Traffic all stopped and others got out and helped. I guess mother grouse was pissed and kept charging the helpers but they all got across. 10 is a lot of chicks I think.

Post Your Comment
6/11/18 @ 8:55 AM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01

Riverchaser - what county are you in?

I know it is tough, but this time of year I don't let my dogs run off lease.  It drives them crazy they can't burn off that energy, but stay out of the nesting areas (where I usually run) to help the birds. 

Post Your Comment
6/7/18 @ 8:05 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

In the field behind my house is a pair of nesting woodcock.  My dog has kicked them up twice and now I keep her tethered til nesting is over.  Ive never seen a woodcock nest. Since the dog has bothered them twice I have to leave them alone.

Post Your Comment
5/14/18 @ 7:24 PM
sniper
sniper
USER since 10/17/01

I agree with duckjunkie. I live in Price County and heard a lot of drumming and saw a lot of good broods last summer. It was really baffling why I wasn't seeing many birds last fall. This article has me concerned. Apparently West Nile has been having an effect in Pennsylvania for years and confirmed in the UP last fall. Could this be the reason?

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-smith/2017/12/06/smith-ruffed-grouse-numbers-may-suffering-west-nile-virus/924837001/

Post Your Comment
5/11/18 @ 4:32 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

Been hearing/seeing woodcock in the evenings but I see and hear them on the ground and not in their mating flight so thats worrisome.

Post Your Comment
4/23/18 @ 12:04 PM
grub
grub
USER since 7/11/01

Had several woodcock hanging around my yard in Dane County during heavy snow up north recently.  They seemed to be getting worms on exposed lawn just fine.  All gone now that snow is gone.  Never had them in yard before. Crappy pic attached.

Post Your Comment
4/21/18 @ 9:02 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

THERE IS HOPE.  Just went for a walk after dark, awesome night out, no wind.  Flushed a woodcock from the edge of driveway didnt appear weak.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 27 Posts