$12 bucks at Bong...........YEA OR NEY

10/23/13 @ 12:21 PM
ORIGINAL POST
519vx
519vx
USER since 7/7/05
YEAH! I'm tired of seeing the same guys in the same lots every single time I go there. The increase in fees may deter this a little. Plus, the extra funds are going to raising more birds and toward the Bong property. There are plenty of FREE Public grounds stocked with birds that are a relatively short drive from Bong...Honey Creek, Tichigan, Vernon Marsh, etc.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 76 Posts
4/2/18 @ 8:08 PM
griff n
griff n
USER since 6/17/11

S.W. for the same reason that money from people in the southern part of the state goes for bear management Seen some dandy posts on lake link, but yours is right up there.

Post Your Comment
3/31/18 @ 6:40 AM
percheye1
percheye1
USER since 6/24/01

Im not looking to argue just asking the question. Dosen't pheasant stamp money cover the costs of raising the birds?

Post Your Comment
3/31/18 @ 6:27 AM
Steve White
Steve White
USER since 3/17/04

Perhaps  it is better to just dissolve the entire program. They can then put that money into something that may help the northwoods. Southern folks then wont have anything to complain about while hunting scarce wild birds. 

I have only seen one pheasant in the last 30 years. Why does part of my money have to go to things that have no benefit to the northwoods?

Post Your Comment
3/30/18 @ 5:15 PM
hoofhearted25
hoofhearted25
USER since 1/4/10

12 bucks,  WDNR hasn't burnt the "natural Prairie" In 20 years. The choice to grind and leave is is beyond stupid. I can get a pen raise private bird for the same.

I don't go to shoot, I go to watch the dog, there is nothing more enjoyable

Post Your Comment
3/29/18 @ 3:31 PM
Swampman
Swampman
USER since 7/23/01

Yes, to buy, feed, and raise the non native pheasants, yet here a bunch of you are complaining that you have to pay a little extra for the very birds you shoot that requires all of this extra expense.

Maybe the DNR should stop raising and releasing pheasants as well as brush hogging, bulldozing and burning natural habitat, then they won't have to charge the pheasant shooters any extra?

There, problem solved!

Post Your Comment
3/29/18 @ 8:51 AM
519vx
519vx
USER since 7/7/05

"Enough money is already spent to support the non native pheasant."

Maybe that's because hunters need to pay extra for a pheasant stamp, then in the case of Bong, pay an extra $ 10 a day to hunt pheasants.  

I hate golf, so I don't go to golf courses.....

Post Your Comment
3/28/18 @ 11:45 AM
Swampman
Swampman
USER since 7/23/01
"In a lot of areas, only thorns are growing or the brush is almost impossible to walk through. I would like to see better management of the property itself."

Me too, as in less clearing to make open fields that can't hold native small game species.

Remember, pheasant shooters aren't the only ones that like to use this public land for hunting.

Other small game that aren't raised and released need natural food and cover to survive our winters and predators.

Enough money is already spent to support the non native pheasant.

Edited on 3/28/18 1:12 PM
Post Your Comment
3/15/18 @ 1:14 PM
MuskyHunter
MuskyHunter
USER since 6/17/01

Nope, the extension was made a while back and will start this year. The 2PM-Noon closure is going to be voted on this year at the spring hearings and if passed will lead to a 40% loss of season at Bong. I hunted a few days in the snow last year and the season before we had an amazing rooster shoot in the snow. 

Post Your Comment
3/15/18 @ 11:58 AM
CatfishHunter47
CatfishHunter47
USER since 1/16/07

Page 4 of of the 2018 forecast indicates a possible season extension to Jan 7th pending what I am guessing is related to Musky Hunters reference to the 2pm closure moving to noon.

40% of the season lost to removal of 2 hours is a big deal.  Seeing an extension of the season makes sense to me.  Heck, I might actually get a pheasant hunt in with snow on the ground.

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/documents/forecast.pdf

Bowhunters should appreciate this a little as well.

Post Your Comment
3/14/18 @ 2:25 PM
percheye1
percheye1
USER since 6/24/01

I havent needed to be there when they released either but happened to be there as I didnt start hunting till after 12 I just got done hunting at 2pm. If by chance they only release from one truck I will agree it may take longer than a half hour but from what I observed( over 20 birds released in about 5 minutes). So what Im saying is it does not take a long time to stock birds. If you think it will help by all means vote to close hunting at noon. Now your limited to 3 hours so everyone who wants to hunt that day pretty much will be there at 9am. Seems like a silly proposal to me. The areas I hunt are stocked at some time of day when it is open t hunting as there is no closure time. I have never seen it stocked yet the birds are plentiful.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 76 Posts