Wild Turkey Recipes

5/5/15 @ 6:07 PM
ORIGINAL POST
brtn610
brtn610
USER since 12/30/07
I've heard stories of wild turkeys not being good table fare, so after bagging my bird last week I began asking friends and family members what recipes they like the most. When asked about the legs and thighs from a wild bird my grandfather replied, "Don't even bother, they're so tough and stringy that you can't even get a knife through them." Naturally after hearing his response I decided to give it a shot. I browsed recipes online and decided to try them in a turkey pot pie. After cooking the legs and thighs on low in a slow cooker full of chicken broth for 24 hours the meat fell right off the bone and the pie was outstanding. So, what is your favorite way to fix one of these tough old birds?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 Posts
5/6/15 @ 12:43 AM
mike7mm08
mike7mm08
USER since 9/19/02
I use the breast for turkey schnitzel. Cut it in about 1/2 inch thick slices across the grain. Pound out to about 1/4 inch or a bit less. Salt pepper dust with flour into milk and egg then bread crumbs. Pan fry in butter and oil. Once done drain on paper towel squeeze a bit of fresh lemon over it. Excellent. Legs go for soup along with the carcass. Before the carcass goes to the soup pot I pick it clean. I cut every scrap of meat and fat I can off the bones and debone the wings and thighs. All that meat gets run through the grinder. Ground wild turkey is excellent very rich flavor. Be surprised how much meat will come off the average tom.

Post Your Comment
5/5/15 @ 7:44 PM
drptine
drptine
USER since 6/6/07
I stated soaking my turkeys in a saltwater brine for twenty-four hours after cleaning them and it has made a world of difference in the taste of the bird and juiciness.

Post Your Comment