Using a Turkey Tent in the middle of a Field

4/30/14 @ 2:11 PM
ORIGINAL POST
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
USER since 3/30/04
What are your thoughts on this? My last couple birds have come with no blind/tent etc, just sitting in some junk on the edge of a fenceline or field edge. I have a group of birds patterned and I played it safe today thinking by decoys might pull them up the last 50 yards or so to me. They went by at 75 yards seeing my strutter but possible elevation made my hen impossible to see from there angle. To really play the percentages on where I keep seeing them I would be on the split between corn stubble and a hay field with no cover around the blind whatsoever. Long story short would you set up in the absolute wide open with a blind and has it worked for you, or is this a bad idea? I see it on the tube all the time but I dont have 37 turkeys fly down and attack my decoys every trip either.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
5/2/14 @ 8:33 AM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
USER since 3/30/04
Same spot but I moved to the middle of nowhere in the cut corn and toms and hens were still roosting in the same spot. Gobbled there brains out from a little after 5 to 5:30 and then went silent on the ground. Started thinking they would not show again today and here comes a hen, 2, 3, 4 and and stutter in tow. They didnt care about the blind and barely cared about my decoys either. Got the tom to 50 and was ready to go as they were not seemingly getting any closer but kinda parralleing me feeing through the field. A hen flies down and they all start to spook so I letr rip and down goes frasier. 65 yards.

As I get to my bird a guy from the far fenceline walks over and asks if they were gobbling....yes there was 6 toms going banana sandwich all morning. He just got there at 6 and they saw him walking in and thats what spooked em.

Lessons Learned 1. They didnt care about the blind in the middle of nowhere 2. Take the first good shot you know you can make before something ruins it.

23 lbs 9 inch beard and a little baby second beard 3/4 spurs Hog fat

Edited on 5/2/14 8:35 AM
Post Your Comment
5/1/14 @ 1:14 PM
fillinbarrels
fillinbarrels
USER since 3/14/07
Do you have layout blind? I'd give that a try especially if on the edge of a corn stubble field. I haven't tried it yet myself but I would think you'd have enough time to shoot if you could a strutter to turn his back on ya. Just an idea. The places I hunt get enough pressure that unless a blind is really brushed in they always seem to hang up. I usually go without but I'm taking my 3 year old this season so the blind will see some use Big Smile

Post Your Comment
5/1/14 @ 9:23 AM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
USER since 3/30/04
Thanks for the feedback. I did move about 75 yards today and thye never showed up. Today they gobbled from 5:10 to 5:40 over and over as good as you could ever hope on the roost. 2 birds were ahead of me 150 yards and off to each side of me 100 yards as well. Lots of hens with them and they went silent at 5 45 at fly down and never saw them and just a couple random gobbles after that.

Edited on 5/1/14 9:26 AM
Post Your Comment
4/30/14 @ 9:11 PM
flyguy329
flyguy329
USER since 1/25/06
If there well patterned...I would get a small blind (not a hub...just the material on sticks)....Get out there...lay in the field and give her heck.

Post Your Comment
4/30/14 @ 7:07 PM
BeerTownFyreman
BeerTownFyreman
USER since 6/15/01
I'm with the others... never had an issue. They CAN see you inside against the black! I wear dark or camo... but keep the camo window screens up. Not supposed too, but I shoot thru the camo screens. Lots of dead birds.

Post Your Comment
4/30/14 @ 3:45 PM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01
I have had a lot of success with a blind in the middle of a field, on lower pressure birds. Another area I tried it with more hunter competition, and the birds hung up every time. So I think it depends on where you hunt.

There is a dead bird between the decoy and the blind.

Post Your Comment
4/30/14 @ 3:18 PM
Kaibab Hunter
Kaibab Hunter
USER since 10/4/11
I never brush in my blind. I always put it in the middle of the field. Just make sure you only open the windows you need. I also wear black. Avoid sudden moves and always have the sun at your back!

Post Your Comment
4/30/14 @ 2:39 PM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
USER since 3/30/04
I dress in all black and keep the back wall 100 percent shut. I have a hub an the 4 windows split in half like 8 windows basically I can shoot out the front and then front half of both sides.

So looking fwd the front 4 are open and the back 4 are all totally blacked out.

This is the usual setup but my face mask is down a bit and I cracked the side window to film a bird way off in the distance. I just noticed the red dot on my camera stand, better cover that up too. Cameras up high you cant see my camo pants from turkey level.

Edited on 4/30/14 2:39 PM
Post Your Comment
4/30/14 @ 2:25 PM
madforlabs
madforlabs
USER since 12/20/12
Absolutely works just fine. Have done it numerous times, just make sure you keep enough windows in your blind closed off so that your profile is not skylighted.

Post Your Comment