Turkey hunting tips

3/3/16 @ 9:32 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Fish_Craft
Fish_Craft
USER since 3/21/12
I am thinking about hunting turkey this year and have never hunted them before. I'm an experienced waterfowl and small game hunter. Looking to see what are the best calls and decoys (if they are worth it). On a bit of a budget so the more economical gear would be better. Thank you in advance for any tips or comments.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 15 of 15 Posts
3/6/16 @ 6:52 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15
What pete-pec said. Especially the last part.

Post Your Comment
3/6/16 @ 12:49 PM
Pete-pec
Pete-pec
USER since 4/2/06
The funny thing about any sort of topic that has varying opinions, is you must sift through it anyway, and decide what opinion is best, knowing all opinions are normally attained through trial and error via experience. I could easily say that calls don't matter much, and that life-like decoys are not important, because in my experience, there is never ever a certainty when hunting turkeys. They are difficult at times, and too easy at others. The one thing that is certainly going to help you get a bird in your lap, is being where they are, and having that patience that was described. I believe in being comfortable. I like sitting in a sunny strut zone in a nicely camouflaged blind in a nice firm chair with my knees level to my hips. This comfort factor is what has gotten my most of my birds. The call? Yes, they work, but are often overused. I believe subtle light yelps from a diaphragm call are hard to beat. Many people struggle with a diaphragm call, but once learned, it's all you need to bring, an done less thing to put in your vest. Decoys? They work, but more often than not, they hurt. I rarely ever hunt with them beyond the first week of season. I have DSD's, and spent the money on them, but they are hardly used, nor needed. I would rather mimic a hen on the roost at daylight, and then shut up completely after a couple copycat calls at her. You call too much, she'll likely fly down, and head the other direction, with her boys following shortly behind her. Turkeys have unbelievable hearing and eyesight, and if they could smell, we'd rarely kill them. So keep movements to a minimum, and lightly call.

After all is said and done, that doesn't mean you can't use decoys, have birds run right in, call loudly, etc. It means that any single day, that bird you've been watching can change his mind right quick, and make us all look silly. You can't kill one where they don't live. I like to hunt near the roost, but still 200 yards away if possible. You're ultimately trying to convince a hen that things are good where you are, or a tom to come to you, and that's not normally how this works. The tom struts, and the hen comes to him. That's why being subtle and enticing is imperative. If you have a bird gobble at you, and he shuts up, sit and wait. He may come in silent, and often times that's exactly the case.

Learning by doing, and making mistakes is ultimately what will develop your skills, so don't be dejected when your setup doesn't work. Hit it the next day, and try to get it the next day. If you see a bird that hangs up at 60 yards or further, he's likely pinpointed your location by your last calling, and is waiting for you to come to him. It is time to zip it!

Now after all this, you are even more confused, and I'll tell you that all or none of what I said will help you, because that's what makes turkey hunting a blast!

Post Your Comment
3/4/16 @ 8:01 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
Lots of good tips and pointers in some of the older threads here. Breeze through them if you get some time....lots of experiences and stories shared to learn from. Good luck!

Post Your Comment
3/3/16 @ 10:29 PM
standard_lengthy
standard_lengthy
USER since 6/8/07
Calls are very important. Box call or slate are easiest, mouth calling takes a lot of practice but can be the handiest when the birds are close. Either get super lifelike decoys or don't use them. Be patient. Also be patient and have patience. See a theme here? Go get em! Wink

Post Your Comment