Turkey hunting tips

3/3/16 @ 9:32 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Fish_Craft
Fish_Craft
USER since 3/21/12
I am thinking about hunting turkey this year and have never hunted them before. I'm an experienced waterfowl and small game hunter. Looking to see what are the best calls and decoys (if they are worth it). On a bit of a budget so the more economical gear would be better. Thank you in advance for any tips or comments.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts
4/9/17 @ 8:53 PM
icebelt
icebelt
USER since 10/22/13

I always thought face the decoy away from you because they will work them from the behind. I could be wrong, just the way I set them up.

Post Your Comment
4/9/17 @ 8:57 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

According to the hunting show that I'm watching, it's apparently a good idea to continue to whisper to the camera AFTER you shoot the bird.  Good tip.

Post Your Comment
3/30/17 @ 8:27 PM
percheye1
percheye1
USER since 6/24/01

No you do not need orange on your blind.

Post Your Comment
3/30/17 @ 7:50 PM
wet-net
wet-net
USER since 1/8/03

When useing decoys have them so they are looking at you. Turkeys will come in facing the decoys. 

Post Your Comment
3/30/17 @ 7:23 PM
Mt Dew
Mt Dew
USER since 6/23/01

Quick question,  do I need orange on my ground blind like deer hunting?

Post Your Comment
3/28/17 @ 3:40 AM
jimmymuller
jimmymuller
USER since 6/20/16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHQcx5iWNdQ. The given link is very helpful for people who want to know about Turkey Hunting.

Post Your Comment
3/9/16 @ 11:41 AM
crossbow davio
crossbow davio
USER since 2/22/05
and not one mention of patterning your gun just as you probably did with your waterfowl gun experiment with different chokes and loads out to 50 yards you want a nice tight pattern of course also as with other hunting scouting is crucial look for trees with about 2" or better limbs that are horizontal they will roost there you can look for droppings underneath the tree also look for strut zones toms will leave serpentine marks in the dirt with their wings and dusting sites small (18-24") depressions in the dirt. turkeys will also "rake" leaves looking for bugs and forbs and mast. if you decide to use decoys keep them closer to your set up and use either a hen or two or a hen and jake decoy some people have good luck with just a tail fan putting up a blind in afield will not spook turkeys as they do deer. good camo is key and avoid having any blue ,white or red showing turkeys can see color find a tree or something to sit against that is wide enough to break up your outline

as to what calls or decoys to use stick with name brands cost is not always the best way to determine how effective they are most store will let you "play" with a couple of box or slate calls. mouth calls are tricky but a nice thing to have to help seal the deal the more reeds the harder to use but will have a better sound as Teddy Roosevelt said (sorta) call softly and carry a big thunder stick

good luck

Post Your Comment
3/8/16 @ 7:03 AM
percheye1
percheye1
USER since 6/24/01
Get a box and or slate and get used to it the sounds it makes and learn the different sounds the birds make. Go out in the woods make one yelp and the tom comes running in blam! Its that easy sometimes not so much lots of other times. Call like crazy get him fired up and he comes sauntering in blam! Its that easy sometimes others not so much. Put your crude looking $7 foam decoy out on the edge of a field as your setting it up 3 toms see it and come running for a half mile you got your pick take the biggest one having never made a sound till blam! Its that easy sometime others not so much. These are all real hunting situations that have happened many times and I could go on about the times everything was perfect then not so much that damn bird brained Tom had another idea. Good luck have fun enjoy and weather you sit a strut zone, run and gun , pattern the birds using a field at 10 am each morning you will learn a lesson but remember it dosent work every time.

Post Your Comment
3/7/16 @ 6:49 PM
1cast-away
1cast-away
USER since 2/2/09
One thing that has greatly improved my success the past handful of years is the ability to hunt all day. Used be a noon quit time, then 5pm, now can hunt all day. I've killed (and messed up) a bunch of birds between 3pm and closing time. To be honest, I rarely hunt birds on the roost. I go out around 7:30 and make my rounds to the places I can hunt. See if I get an answer and then I go set up on that bird. A gobbling Tom late morning through closing time is highly killable. Calling a Tom away from trees full of hens at sunrise is poor odds in my oponion. And patience is not my style...it definitely works though. Spend time where turkeys live and you will get an opportunity eventually. My buddies don't like to hunt with me because I'd much rather put in some time checking areas for a active Tom than sit and blind call for hours. Like said before, experience is the best teacher. Turkeys have different habits in different areas. The birds on one property I hunt often fly down in the morning into a cedar swamp and wade through a foot of water and do something along the river. (I still don't know what he attraction is down there, I'm thinking bugs to eat???). And I see them walking through that swamp all fall during bow season.

Post Your Comment
3/7/16 @ 7:39 AM
eyesman
eyesman
USER since 1/7/02
Experience is the best teacher. Time in the field being observant of their habits and response to calling and decoys will educate you quick. What works today could be the wrong approach tomorrow. I once called a tom across a 40 acre field to 80 yds out, a hen popped out of the brush line and gave one little cackle and he bolted her way never to be seen again. The only predictable thing about turkeys is they are unpredictable. Your approach to hunting depends on the location you are hunting. If you access to a large area and can roam about freely you can go to the birds, near a roosting location and set up. If hunting a smaller confined area you may need to pick the best ambush site and wait them out.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts