recommendation for new blind

3/4/16 @ 8:36 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11
So I am in the market for a new blind. The one I had for only two years died out and while I got a full refund, I learned what NOT to get. There are a few things I know I need to get in a blind. Also, I am tied to getting something at Cabela's as I have $75 in gift cards on hand. I know that it will have to be a bigger one. Hub style. At least 55" square, 66" high. A 2-man. Most seem to run in that size anyway. I do not use a bow. I do know that the door WILL NOT be a zipper that runs the length of a side of the blind. Simply too much tension at that point and zipper will fail. Quite windows would be a plus. I will only use this for turkey and gun deer seasons. I looked at Cabela's today and saw a pricey Primos blind and a Cabela's brand also. The Primos was marked down $70 to $330. A little more than I plan on spending but it had an awesome doorway and very heavy-duty fabric. This was a Primos Double bull double wide deluxe. They also had a couple other Primos blinds there. A double bull bullpen and the Smack Down. Priced at $180 and $250 respectively. The guy told me they may be on sale (hint?) as their "Turkey Classic" sale starts next week. I was not as impressed with the 'house brand' blinds there for a few different reasons as I was with the Primos brand. I would be willing to go to about $250 or maybe a little more for a blind. If anyone call give me any pros or cons on any of these, or offer another suggestion(I have to be able to buy it at Cabela's) it would be great. Thanks, Tim
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts
4/12/16 @ 3:23 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
USER since 12/7/05
If you read the setup instructions, which I know most don't, it tells you the proper way to set up a hub style blind is to stake out the base and then pop out the top and sides. Doing it as described in the previous post will result in a damaged blind (and ego) more often than not! Also, I use 10" brown tent stakes in the corners and on guylines for extra hold. I also replace the guylines with black 550 paracord for extra strength.

I bought a Gander Mountain Invisibull 2man blind and like it. Silent window slides and large D-shaped door and cost on sale was around $120. The camo pattern and water resistance are great as well! My brother has the 3man and its HUGE! Some of those blinds you are only paying the Lakosky and Drury's salaries...just my two cents.

Post Your Comment
4/9/16 @ 8:34 PM
Vermeeson
Vermeeson
USER since 1/22/02
I have a Baronett Grounder 350, which I bought at Fleet farm a few years ago on sale. It has a ton of room, but they're no good and here's why; I was trying to put it up on Thursday and it was pretty windy. Before I could begin to anchor it down, the wind grabbed it like a kite, pulling it up into the air about 10 feet. It came down on it's roof, punching through a metal fence stake which only held it for a couple of seconds. Then it began to cartwheel across a fallow field until I chased it down, cursing every step of the way. The hole punched into the roof is directly under where I usually sit to be out of the elements. You see, that's the trouble with those darn Baronett Grounder blinds... if it would of stayed on the GROUND, I wouldn't of had all that trouble. For that kind of money, you'd think they could have come up with something that wouldn't land on it's roof, given the chance. I'm just glad that none of this was my fault in any way.... HA!

Post Your Comment
4/8/16 @ 8:59 AM
Smallie Chaser
Smallie Chaser
MEMBER since 7/13/01
I just bought the Barronett Big Mike at Fleet Farm yesterday for $159.99. It is huge, and it seems to be well made. Hoping to kill a turkey out of it this weekend.

Post Your Comment
4/7/16 @ 7:28 PM
more or less
more or less
USER since 10/4/01
My next one will be the one I've seen one on ebay bone collector where one whole side is the door can be used for someone in wheel chair or a big man like me.Smile I have a primos 360 now and I like it but the door is on corner of one side kinda pain to get in and out.

Post Your Comment
4/4/16 @ 4:51 PM
prusta81
prusta81
USER since 1/19/09
In the past 3 years I have purchased and used the following ground blinds: 1. Primos Double Bull Deluxe 2. Rhino XP-1 3. Barronett Grounder 4. Ameristep Brickhouse

Of those four, I can honestly say the Primos Double Bull Deluxe is head and shoulders above the others. You can get it now on eBay for $249.99, I would highly recommend it. I could go into great detail about why the Double Bull is in a league of its own but will spare us all the time. If you have any specific questions regarding the aforementioned blinds I'd be happy to help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRIMOS-DOUBLE-BULL-DELUXE-DOUBLE-WIDE-DOOR-HUB-STYLE-TURKEY-GROUND-BLIND-/381584294064?hash=item58d83240b0:g:ytsAAOSwNSxVMAI8

Post Your Comment
4/3/16 @ 12:45 PM
sloshkosh
sloshkosh
USER since 3/30/04
Keep in mind the double bulls company was sold a few years back and the former owner has openly admitted on some of these forums they are not made as well as when he was in charge. Flexibility in window options, durability would be my top concerns as well as simple setup. If i cant customize it to where i want to be able to see and shoot i really dont care what zipper it has or how cool the camo pattern is. I would go to a store with some popped up or ask if u can take it out of the box. Sit down and act like you are drawing a bow. See if you have room to operate.

Post Your Comment
3/30/16 @ 10:10 AM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01
I have been real happy with any of the double bull blinds. My 1st one, the dark horse, must be at least 5 years old now, maybe longer. Use it for turkey and deer hunt and still going strong.

Post Your Comment
3/11/16 @ 1:09 PM
HOOK'MM
HOOK'MM
USER since 6/15/07
THE BIG MIKE BY BARRONETT IS A GREAT BLIND FOR AROUND $200. TALL ENOUGH SO YOU CAN STAND AND SHOOT YOUR BOUW, MULTIPLE WINDOWS OPENINGS. SETS UP IN LESS THAN 2 MINUTES

Post Your Comment
3/11/16 @ 10:12 AM
Goosecaller
Goosecaller
MEMBER since 7/21/01
I have a Browning Phantom X. Great blind, made out of strong material (600 D brushed poly), not the thin poly stuff the Ameristeps are made of. You can find them for $250.00 or less.

Post Your Comment
3/10/16 @ 7:02 PM
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07
I got the bone collector also, previous blind had the zipper in the corner, always a problem. Bone collector has it on one of the walls, the blind has a lot more stability, and there reasonable.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts