Just flat out confused..

5/5/14 @ 10:04 AM
ORIGINAL POST
rutnstrut5
rutnstrut5
USER since 5/2/14
First, I am 18 years old. I know I am no where near an expert but I must say I'm an avid turkey hunter for my age. Dad never hunted and I picked it up on my own and killed a bird every year since I was 12. Hunted last Thursday and Friday.. Thursday had an amazing hunt, birds very vocal on the roost. Shut up at fly down and around 8 it was back on.. to make it short, I was sitting in a tiny island of long grass and shrubs and had a double beard and a jake in my lap.. Literally 6 feet from me in the same island.. There was no possible shot and they slipped away.. The day went on and the birds stayed vocal through out the whole day..now Friday came.. never heard a gobble or seen a bird the whole 8 hours I hunted! Not even on the roost!Didn't even see a hen.. This was the first time I've ever not seen a Bird or hear one. Why is this? How did it go from being on fire to a place without a sign of life? I was not over calling or being obnoxious with the call.. maybe breeding? Any thoughts? Any advice would be appreciated!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
5/5/14 @ 7:21 PM
percheye1
percheye1
USER since 6/24/01
They are still there just quiet and didn't come out where you were. This is a norm in turkey hunting for me over the last 25 years. One day can be exactly like the day before as far as barometer temps wind etc but they gobble one day and dont the next. When someone can change this or tell you when those good or bad gobbling days are they will make a fortune. Good luck my friend get that longbeard in the morning!

Post Your Comment
5/5/14 @ 5:10 PM
flyguy329
flyguy329
USER since 1/25/06
I had them gobbling like crazy a week ago on public land. Everywhere I stopped gobbling (this was like at 630). A week later I thought I had it made....got out there at 330 am- nobody was there or showed up while I was there. and didnt have a single gobble.

Post Your Comment
5/5/14 @ 4:35 PM
eyeguy17
eyeguy17
USER since 1/24/12
The only thing predictable about a turkey is that they are unpredictable!!

Post Your Comment
5/5/14 @ 11:50 AM
SJB
SJB
USER since 7/16/01
Having shot 20 birds in 12 years, I will tell you this - they are turkeys and don't always make sense. I have had them completly pattern and then they just decide to do something else. My first thought always goes to pressure - did you or someone else bump them out? If not, they may just be going a different direction. I still have not had birds fill into my #1 spot from winter. Can't figure that out either - normally on this 500 acre parcel, we have 2-3 groups of 15-20 birds. This year, 1 group of 8. Why - have know idea. Not too much pressure and plenty of food. Nothing else has changed.

Post Your Comment
5/5/14 @ 11:35 AM
yahay
yahay
USER since 11/28/07
Just imagine. An animal with a brain the size of a pea, is smarter than me. Welcome to my world sunshine. Do not even think about trying to outsmart them, you wont. Just keep going.

Post Your Comment
5/5/14 @ 11:00 AM
Timmer72
Timmer72
USER since 12/26/06
Just when you think you have them figured out, they do the unexpected. Where I hunt they sometimes just disappear for a few days at a time. Weather can have a huge impact, especially wind. I always read about these "roost" trees. Never seen one and been hunting since '01. They seem to roost wherever they happen do be that evening. I've put them to bed before only to go out in the morning well before sunrise and find they aren't even there anymore. Keep at it if you can. Still have another day.

Post Your Comment
5/5/14 @ 10:21 AM
walleyebeef
walleyebeef
USER since 7/10/11
I think you've been very lucky for the last 6 years! A bird every year is awesome. I say keep doing what you are doing since it sounds like you are awesome at patterning those birds. Not helpful, but hope it keeps your confidence up. I'm 27 and shot my first Tom this year. I've been Turkey hunting for 5-6 years now.

Post Your Comment