Hunting the afternoon/Evening

4/29/16 @ 8:16 AM
ORIGINAL POST
dad and daughter
dad and daughter
USER since 6/9/06
Just wondering how much luck everyone has in the late afternoon ? I normally hunt the early season and early morning but this year I can't. I haven't heard any Gobbling in the early mornings now for a good week since I live in the country. Going to take my wife out to try and wondering if there's hope in the afternoon. Shane
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
1/20/17 @ 7:26 AM
jimmymuller
jimmymuller
USER since 6/20/16

According to my hunting experience, afternoon time is best for hunting. Because this time, most of the birds find the food. So we can easily hunt any bird, which you want to hunt. 

Post Your Comment
4/29/16 @ 8:43 PM
wet-net
wet-net
USER since 1/8/03
After getting up today at 3am and hunting tell noon with only seeing a hen I was kind of burned out but after reading Great Outdoors post I went back out with a new attitude and at 630pm had 3 Tom come in gobbling all the way. Only two are left thanks to Great Outdoors. THANKS for a positive post.

Post Your Comment
4/29/16 @ 4:52 PM
Blowing feathers
Blowing feathers
USER since 2/15/16
I shot a bird Thursday at 4:30 pm call it luck but walked in to a public piece noticed a lot of scratching and dust bowls set 2 hen decoys sat down cut once heard a gobble 5 min go by had 4 toms walk off the ridge the one strutted to the decoys the others just walk so I shot the man in charge 20 min hunt

Post Your Comment
4/29/16 @ 3:50 PM
joeywadu
joeywadu
USER since 5/13/02
I agree 100% with great outdoors.. If you know where they usually roost and what direction they come from (feeding area) get in between them and you should be in the chips.. remember this. big toms will be the last to fly up into the roost. They hold out and hold out until the last moment.. This spring on clear nights they have not flown to roost until after shooting hours, so you need to cut them off between the feeding areas and roost. Cloudy raining or windy days they will fly up at little earlier. evening hunting is great.. Our hunting party has got 2 birds in the morning, and 4 in the evening. Get on them. Good luck. We have heard gobbling in the evening also generally after 7pm

WADU

Post Your Comment
4/29/16 @ 8:42 AM
GreatOutdoors2001
GreatOutdoors2001
USER since 7/5/01
Over my turkey hunting career, I have gotten half my birds from 4-7PM. This year our group got 3 of their 4 birds in the afternoon, all around 4-5pm. You should do well. I seem to see more single toms and groups of just toms in the afternoons compared to the morning mix of birds. One consistent pattern by me is that they seem to hit food sources just prior to roosting and if you know what they are eating in your area you can intercept them.

Don't give up hope, we have had great luck in the afternoons. Mornings have more suspense around them because of all the chatter on the roost and the challenge of setting up right and getting one right away, but afternoons can be just as good.

Post Your Comment