2018 Turkey Reports

3/28/18 @ 8:57 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Vermeeson
Vermeeson
USER since 1/22/02

Post your observations, activity, and techniques used to harvest your bird. Good luck everyone!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 101 Posts
5/20/18 @ 3:42 PM
griff n
griff n
USER since 6/17/11

The last 2 mornings, 2 Toms hit the field a first light with hens and work the edge of my field. There is a blind right there, so that's where I'll be the next 2 days.

Post Your Comment
5/19/18 @ 10:19 AM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

Congrats, Joey.  That hunt itself is the reward. 

Post Your Comment
5/19/18 @ 12:53 AM
joeywadu
joeywadu
USER since 5/13/02

Got out this past morning for a 5th season hunt...I'd been watching a group of birds for a few days now and put together a plan to try and get one....I snuck in early and put out my homemade strutting Tom decoy with one hen on the edge of a green grass field kitty corner from where I saw the birds go to roost ...a couple of hen yelps got them all fired up and they came out of the trees hot...soon a group of 9 birds was coming across the field on a dead run towards the decoys...at about 40 yards the two big Tom's pulled up and went into fill strut with an occasional gobble....they were hesitant....the Jakes however continued to walk towards the decoys and at 20 yards I knew I was running out of time....birds were crossing back and forth and my scope went from one bird to the.next....I had one in the scope I know had about a 6-7 inch beard but it wouldn't hold still so I settled on another Jake as the big Tom's remained hung up on the fringes...i.pulled the trigger and saw the lighted nock dissappear in the bird...it turned and ran about 25 yards and keeled over...then all the other birds ran over and started picking on the fallen bird...game over 16lbs 3 inch beard and little rounded nubs for spurs...great hunt and I've had some real dandy hunts this spring...tons of birds and they are cooperating very well....still a few days left.

Wadu

Post Your Comment
5/14/18 @ 8:27 AM
Jesse Quale
greenwaterwalleye
USER since 1/25/09

Juneau county zone 1 public land.

23 lbs 9" beard 11/4 spurs. # 6 for the season.

Birds are still locked down in the mornings for a few hours with hens, toms have been more active mid morning. Very little gobbling after birds hit the ground, really need to shock gobble them with a crow call to get them to respond.

(608) 547-3022
Post Your Comment
5/13/18 @ 2:16 PM
griff n
griff n
USER since 6/17/11

Hunt 80 acres but only about 14 of it is woods. There is a lane all around the land and one down the middle. Sit on a blind in the middle of the one that runs down the middle. Basically it is field hunting. A ton of gobbling with I'm guessing up to 6 different birds early. Turns light and nothing on the fields. Finally about 7 a Tom shows up in a corner in strut. Goes into the next field over and stays there in strut for about 1 1/2 hours. Was hopeing sooner or later he'd move my way. If I called he would gobble but stayed put. Just happened to look down lane to west and there stood a Tom. Don't know where he came from as it's all open fields that way. Very slowly worked his way down the lane toward me. Droped him at 26 yds. Sure was a great morning weather wise also. 23.96 double beard. nice spurs but did not measure

Edited on 5/13/18 4:08 PM
Post Your Comment
5/12/18 @ 9:26 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

Very true, joey.  Makes me think of just what pusses we humans are 

Edited on 5/12/18 9:26 PM
Post Your Comment
5/12/18 @ 11:03 AM
joeywadu
joeywadu
USER since 5/13/02

Just wanted to post this pic of the turkey I shot earlier this week to show the toughness of these birds...the shot was with a Mathews Mission MXB320 crossbow at about 35 yards...the bolt hit the turkey in the back right above the hind legs....it's all bone back there...I was using a Muzzy 100 grain 3 blade broadhead for crossbows.....the bolt actually deflected off the back and did not enter the body cavity....the turkey which should have dropped right in its tracks managed to stay on its feet and flew for about 300 yards across a cut corn field....very tough birds

Wadu

Post Your Comment
5/8/18 @ 9:46 AM
Twig "SNAP"
Twig
USER since 2/13/11
Over 40 hrs in a blind with a few close encounters in Waupaca and finally this guy ran in to a hen and jake set up. Last few years the #s seem down but more guys around are hunting the area thinning the boys out I guess. 10" beard 1" spurs, didn't weigh him but felt like a beast after lugging him half a mile through the slop for this old retired fart. So much stuff to bring out tent, bag of decoys, fold up chair, gun and then a big bird as well. Getting old sucks. Good luck to the rest of you this season.

Edited on 5/8/18 9:17 PM
Post Your Comment
5/7/18 @ 8:36 PM
fishgodwi
fishgodwi
USER since 7/28/10

May 6, 2018. 6pm

Juneau County, Public Land

#17, 9&1/2" beard, 7/8" spurs

After choking and missing big time on a gobbler Sat morning, was able to redeem myself Sunday nite. Seen 2 gobblers fanned out and few hens on the backside of a field next to the woods. Decided to put the sneak attack on them. Had to cross a ditch that went up to my waist n the middle of it. And belly crawl 50 yds up and down a big sand hill to get into position. After 30 mins of watching and crawling when they looked the opposite way, i finally got into position to drop the closet gobbler. Still was a 40 yd shot. What an awesome hunt!!!

Post Your Comment
5/7/18 @ 8:23 PM
fishgodwi
fishgodwi
USER since 7/28/10

May 4, 2018.   4pm

Juneau County, Private Land

#23, 10" beard, no spurs

As soon as we got out of the truck, we could here this bird gobbling just off the food plot. Got n the blind and within 10 mins had 2 jakes come right to decoys. Then not even 5 mins later, this guy come walking n full strut the whole time right to decoys. Girlfriend dropped him n his tracks! Funny thing about him, is he had NO spurs at all. Just really small bumps where they were suppose to b. Wierd!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 101 Posts