2018 Turkey Reports

3/28/18 @ 8:57 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Vermeeson
Vermeeson
USER since 1/22/02

Post your observations, activity, and techniques used to harvest your bird. Good luck everyone!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 104 Posts
5/22/18 @ 6:17 AM
MightyHunter
MightyHunter
USER since 3/25/06

Brother and I both bought a tag for the 5th season with the goal in mind to take my daughter out and have her witness one of us getting a turkey. She has been out a few times but with no luck at all. So Sunday we set out, got to the first place, been watching turkeys there all week and nothing was happening, so pulled the plug and was trying to a different property. As we were getting close, noticed to toms out in neighbors cow pasture and knew they could home go one way. Parked the truck ran back to the area we knew they were going to come through and got set up. Half hour later, as all three of us are set up next to two big trees, here come two toms following a hen. One is full strut and the other following. Brother and I were hoping to take a double but unfortunately it didn't work out, he had to shoot before I got an opportunity. Shot it at 30 yards and dropped on the spot. Let my daughter run and go get it and she tried to pick it up but couldn't! I think I got her hooked now, she had a blast! She wants to go again but to busy the rest of the year. Got her shooting a youth 410 right now and it's hard for her to hold up yet, maybe come deer season I will feel comfortable buying her a mentor tag.

I think her smile says it all that our goal was achieved!

Turkey- 23lbs, 9 1/2 inch beard, inch spurs

Post Your Comment
5/21/18 @ 6:14 PM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
USER since 1/19/02

Zone 2, sheboygan co, public land,,,

Ben hunting evenings since we'd night with trials and tribulations that go along with public land and turkey hunting, it's just been tough. Albeit perseverance  pays off after seeing two Tom's goto roost Friday night I got in real early Saturday am some gobbling but not much, at light apron 200 yd away there was 3toms strut in for some hens I tried and tried they were not budging, o well I did have a Tom come within 40 yd or so but never got a shot a cuz he was pretty spooked by my Tom decoy out I think, I had to leave to go to work by 9 so I tried doing a sneek and that didn't work out well. So ran home and find out I didn't have to work ugggg so get back out in pm to another farm that I've been wanting to try well neighbors must have went to an ammo sale cuz it was non stop shooting all day, ugggg okay goto spot I was at in the am,it's about 4.30 now hike back in get set up with just a hen deke, suns hot Flys were bad and my back and legs are cramping, ugggg okay somethings gate happen c.mon as I'm twisting and turning off the ground to try and get comfortable  I glance up and see a big red head staring at me at 30yd wtf, he cam in silent and wanted to start turning back into the woods but I had I one little window to shoot through so I wip the gun up and pow! Lay um out.was a tough week and it ended quickly and unexpectedly like turkey huntil usually does, good bird 10.5" beard ..5" spur and hefty at apron 23lbs. Onto zone 3 and F this weekend, good luck all and congrats to all who have harvested a bird, what a blast!

Post Your Comment
5/21/18 @ 2:58 PM
griff n
griff n
USER since 6/17/11

Well a Tom and 4 hens showed up at first light. They only stayed on the field for about 5 minutes and left. So much for plan A. About 45 minutes later I saw a Tom in the field next to the field I was hunting. He crossed over to the field I was in and was heading for the blind I have been hunting. I thought, "you got to be kidding". Looked down the edge to my right and 6 hens came into my field from the one he came from. They were working the edge toward me and he turned and started coming right at me to meet up with them I believe. Came right to me and dropped him at 20 yds. wasn't the way I thought it would go down but sure worked. 22.5 lbs. One in period 4 and one in period 5 zone 2. Great year lots of Toms seen and heard.

Edited on 5/21/18 3:04 PM
Post Your Comment
5/20/18 @ 3:42 PM
griff n
griff n
USER since 6/17/11

The last 2 mornings, 2 Toms hit the field a first light with hens and work the edge of my field. There is a blind right there, so that's where I'll be the next 2 days.

Post Your Comment
5/19/18 @ 10:19 AM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

Congrats, Joey.  That hunt itself is the reward. 

Post Your Comment
5/19/18 @ 12:53 AM
joeywadu
joeywadu
USER since 5/13/02

Got out this past morning for a 5th season hunt...I'd been watching a group of birds for a few days now and put together a plan to try and get one....I snuck in early and put out my homemade strutting Tom decoy with one hen on the edge of a green grass field kitty corner from where I saw the birds go to roost ...a couple of hen yelps got them all fired up and they came out of the trees hot...soon a group of 9 birds was coming across the field on a dead run towards the decoys...at about 40 yards the two big Tom's pulled up and went into fill strut with an occasional gobble....they were hesitant....the Jakes however continued to walk towards the decoys and at 20 yards I knew I was running out of time....birds were crossing back and forth and my scope went from one bird to the.next....I had one in the scope I know had about a 6-7 inch beard but it wouldn't hold still so I settled on another Jake as the big Tom's remained hung up on the fringes...i.pulled the trigger and saw the lighted nock dissappear in the bird...it turned and ran about 25 yards and keeled over...then all the other birds ran over and started picking on the fallen bird...game over 16lbs 3 inch beard and little rounded nubs for spurs...great hunt and I've had some real dandy hunts this spring...tons of birds and they are cooperating very well....still a few days left.

Wadu

Post Your Comment
5/14/18 @ 8:27 AM
Jesse Quale
greenwaterwalleye
USER since 1/25/09

Juneau county zone 1 public land.

23 lbs 9" beard 11/4 spurs. # 6 for the season.

Birds are still locked down in the mornings for a few hours with hens, toms have been more active mid morning. Very little gobbling after birds hit the ground, really need to shock gobble them with a crow call to get them to respond.

(608) 547-3022
Post Your Comment
5/13/18 @ 2:16 PM
griff n
griff n
USER since 6/17/11

Hunt 80 acres but only about 14 of it is woods. There is a lane all around the land and one down the middle. Sit on a blind in the middle of the one that runs down the middle. Basically it is field hunting. A ton of gobbling with I'm guessing up to 6 different birds early. Turns light and nothing on the fields. Finally about 7 a Tom shows up in a corner in strut. Goes into the next field over and stays there in strut for about 1 1/2 hours. Was hopeing sooner or later he'd move my way. If I called he would gobble but stayed put. Just happened to look down lane to west and there stood a Tom. Don't know where he came from as it's all open fields that way. Very slowly worked his way down the lane toward me. Droped him at 26 yds. Sure was a great morning weather wise also. 23.96 double beard. nice spurs but did not measure

Edited on 5/13/18 4:08 PM
Post Your Comment
5/12/18 @ 9:26 PM
Wicasa
Wicasa
USER since 11/11/15

Very true, joey.  Makes me think of just what pusses we humans are 

Edited on 5/12/18 9:26 PM
Post Your Comment
5/12/18 @ 11:03 AM
joeywadu
joeywadu
USER since 5/13/02

Just wanted to post this pic of the turkey I shot earlier this week to show the toughness of these birds...the shot was with a Mathews Mission MXB320 crossbow at about 35 yards...the bolt hit the turkey in the back right above the hind legs....it's all bone back there...I was using a Muzzy 100 grain 3 blade broadhead for crossbows.....the bolt actually deflected off the back and did not enter the body cavity....the turkey which should have dropped right in its tracks managed to stay on its feet and flew for about 300 yards across a cut corn field....very tough birds

Wadu

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 104 Posts