2017 Bird Reports

4/18/17 @ 3:23 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Vermeeson
Vermeeson
USER since 1/22/02

Congrats to all involved in the youth hunt. Let's start with Period A and follow the season with Hunting reports, conditions, pics of birds killed. Good luck to everyone!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 21 to 30 of 74 Posts
5/18/17 @ 7:50 AM
griff n
griff n
USER since 6/17/11

Had birds gobbling before light yesterday on the land to the west of the property I hunt. Plowed corn field that runs north and south and woods along side of it. When it got light enough could see 3 Toms and some hens along field edge. One Tom stayed with 4 hens and 2 of them followed another across the field in my direction. The Toms got about half way across and turned around while the hen came across into the plowed corn field I hunt. I sit on a fence line that has a alfalfa field on the other side. My fields run east and west and alot of birds cross and work east on either side of fence line. Hen was just crossing into my field when Tom's turned and started back toward her. They were at least 150 yds behind her but on the same path. She kept coming and went past me and I even text my brother if they followed they were in trouble. They would gobble and strut ever so often and it took well over a hour for this whole deal to happen. Once they crossed into my field could tell they would probably follow the hen right to me. That what happened and dropped one at 31 yds. Have another tag and have switched to bow.Went this morning and hunted until 7 then put up some range markers.There were 6 Toms on the field early so got some targets for the rest of the period. Given it hard tomorrow and any days it is nice. Will hunt every morning untill at least 10 and longer if nice and/or seeing birds.  

Post Your Comment
5/18/17 @ 7:15 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
USER since 1/19/02

made it out in zone 2 yesterday afternoon on some public land that I scout fairly regularly, got up early before work and swumg by my goto spot and there was a truck there, I have not seen a vehicle there all season murphys law I guess! set up in PM on a new area that butts up to private land were there has been a tom and jakes daily, it was a death march getting into it and after seeing a few other boot prints I had to chuckle who would come down here, set up and saw nada changed locations and could see birds out on the private land but they wanted nothing to do with what i was puttin down. picked up and went to another area set back up and had 2 hens come out and feed before fly up and that was it before the storm came. back at in in the AM.  birds still being weird imo  jakes and toms together moving around with large flocks of hens, seems like early season stuff to me, must be a second breading phase.

Post Your Comment
5/15/17 @ 12:48 PM
Whiskey_Oak337
Whiskey_Oak337
USER since 11/11/14

Taken not even an hour into the first day of period D on public land.  This one showed up without ever gobbling.  40-45 yard shot.  Had some gobbling way off in the distance and had a hen fly down from the roost close to our set up.

Post Your Comment
5/15/17 @ 11:13 AM
Quackkills
Quackkills
USER since 5/15/17

He had a hard time trying to carry it out lmao one proud daddy only 7 more years to wait 

Post Your Comment
5/15/17 @ 9:58 AM
joeywadu
joeywadu
USER since 5/13/02

Hey those are cool pictures...your son is hooked

Wadu

Post Your Comment
5/15/17 @ 9:31 AM
Quackkills
Quackkills
USER since 5/15/17

Thursday zone 3 not much happening till 10 am and this guy strutted in. 20 lbs 11 1/4 inch beard so then my 3 year old wants to go so that afternoon set up the turkey tent on a public field I see birds use set up by 6:45 done at 7:08 he put on a show for my son strutting around my jake decoy I was caught enjoying the show my self till I looked at my son covering his ears saying shoot it dad lol 24 lbs 10 inch beard 

Post Your Comment
5/15/17 @ 5:10 AM
g1hunting
g1hunting
USER since 10/20/09

another bird on the ground for my buddy! came in with 3 others and a bearded hen. 

Post Your Comment
5/14/17 @ 10:40 PM
joeywadu
joeywadu
USER since 5/13/02

Nice bird...congrats....

Wadu

Post Your Comment
5/14/17 @ 8:16 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Got this guy at 6:45 pm this evening.  After sitting on field edges in the mornings and afternoons, I set up in the trees where they roost.  I got set up and yelped a few times and he answered with a few clucks.  He walked behind a large hickory and gave me the perfect op to shoulder my gun.  The rest is history.  I hadnt hunted turkey in over 15 years but took it back up three years ago.  After not seeing any birds on our property up north the last two years, I decided to hunt my wife's family's farm in Calumet Co this year.  Good call.

23#, 9.5" beard, 1" spurs.

Post Your Comment
5/13/17 @ 5:37 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11

Yes, very nice. Congrats. 

Tim

Post Your Comment
Displaying 21 to 30 of 74 Posts