Unusual place you have caught trout or unusual fish you have caught in a Trout stream?

5/3/11 @ 11:19 AM
ORIGINAL POST
foosdog
foosdog
USER since 12/19/01
Caught a nice Brown on lake Monona at the mouth of Starkweather creek 20 years ago. Also caught a small Brown on The wisconsin river by Portage 15 years ago.

Story creek caught a small northern, Bluegill and a small Walleye over the last few years, all during high water.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 43 Posts
6/4/16 @ 8:59 PM
rottenfisher1
rottenfisher1
USER since 11/8/10
There is a small creek by my parents' house that I fished every day when I was
a kid. My brother and I would catch 99.9% chubs and shiners.
We very rarely caught a panfish. Never caught a trout in there....until today.

I decided to go for a drive after the rain stopped. I thought I might catch a chub or two in that creek. I made some casts with a tube jig without any bites until I threw it in a grassy area out of the current and something bit.

I thought it was likely a chub, but it didn't quite look like one.
I was praying that it would stay on so I could see what it was.
It turned out to be a fat little brook trout about 7" long.

Post Your Comment
12/26/14 @ 6:54 AM
luvh20
luvh20
USER since 1/19/14
Many years ago while shore fishing at the Wisconsin Dells dam I caught a small trout. Never caught another one in the Wisconsin River since then.

Post Your Comment
12/16/14 @ 7:34 PM
crawdaddy
crawdaddy
USER since 7/11/01
Will say the best place to catch bluegills and perch near where I grew up is on a mill pond that is considered trout stream. Makes it illegal to ice fish it. Funny thing...never saw, caught, or heard of anyone ever catching a trout there. Still trout stream today.

Post Your Comment
12/16/14 @ 7:31 PM
crawdaddy
crawdaddy
USER since 7/11/01
Caught lots of perch and bullhead in Tomorrow River. Saw a few nice walleyes in deep hole. Caught lots of northern too. Strangest item I caught was a mailbox. Still had the name and address on it so I returned it to the owner after cleaning it.

Post Your Comment
5/5/14 @ 4:43 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
While trout fishing up in the Allegheny mountains in Pennsylvania I came across a little backwater off of the stream that had water that was slightly tannic and about 5 or so degrees warmer than the 45 degree freestone brookie stream I was fishing. It was about 12 feet by 3 feet by about 1.5 feet deep. I tossed a leaf worm in the pool and a shadow flew out from under the bank I was standing on, grabbed the worm and darted back. I set the hook and pulled up a 13" chain pickerel in absolute amazement. How it got there I will never know so far up in the mountains. I went back to this spot a few years later and thought I would play a prank on my brother telling him to repeat what I had done and that there was a monster brookie hiding in there. He pulled up the very same fish, and it was still exactly the same size!! I called the Fish Commission and they basically said I was full of it!

Post Your Comment
3/7/14 @ 8:55 AM
by the finn
by the finn
USER since 9/4/01
unintentionally snagged a lamprey in the Oconto river

Post Your Comment
3/3/14 @ 9:40 PM
jaybeeturtle
jaybeeturtle
USER since 3/17/06
Once in the first week in May I was fishing a large trout stream that runs into a lake with Musky. Was catching some browns around 12 inches using a 1/16th oz Panther Martin on 6 lb mono. One cast ended hanging up over a small branch. I jigged it up and down as it was hanging from the branch, hoping a trout would grab it and pull the line off the branch. A long dark shadow slid out from under a tree and stared at my little dancing spinner. Then it opened its mouth and nipped the tiny lure, and I set the hook into the edge of its outer lip. A 10 minute battle ensued, with the fish twice swimming into log jams, forcing me to wade into the logs and guide the fish out. Water came over the top of my chest waders, but I kept fighting that fish. Finally I beached her for a couple pix and a measurement. 42 inch Musky!

Post Your Comment
3/3/14 @ 2:23 PM
Roggie
Roggie
USER since 12/13/08
Weirdest catch I've made was a coho salmon caught in the middle of summer out of the Rock River where it enters the Mississippi in the Quad Cities. Heard a few weeks later at the bait shop that another person also caught one a little further upstream. Was only about 12" and was as soft as mush.

Post Your Comment
5/10/13 @ 7:19 AM
crawriverrat
crawriverrat
USER since 10/27/02
Was fishing a tributary to the Mississippi and saw this beast. 4' long at least i could have grabbed it in a riffle slightly upstream of where this pic was taken.

Post Your Comment
1/28/13 @ 6:22 PM
guy67231
guy67231
USER since 1/27/13
Sorry this is not in a trout stream but I caught a seagull fishing for trout in Manitowoc. and i caught a buffolo fish in the pine river in florence countySad

Edited on 1/28/13 6:25 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 43 Posts