SEARCH
MORE
Trout Fishing

Ice Fishing Trout

12/19/18 @ 12:04 PM
INITIAL POST
smbrickner
User since 4/16/09

There is a small lake in Lincoln county that I am thinking of attempting to ice fish on this weekend.

Walkable with the small kids and fairly close to home.  If I am reading the regs correctly it looks like open season for lake fishing runs May '18 through March '19.  So it should be legal.  I have never ice fished trout and I am looking for some guidance.

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
2/13/20 @ 12:54 PM
jiggin pro
jiggin pro
User since 2/3/08

I ice fish trout frequently, and it is a blast! Electronics will benefit you greatly while fishing them. Like mentioned, trout will be at any depth, in any part of the water column. I fish wazee a lot in jackson county. I've caught them in 5fow, and in 300 fow. Out in the deeper depths, we always jig 30 to 10 feet under the ice. I've had them chase it all the way up into my hole before, literally. 

Typically the go to bait is a small spoon tipped with a minnow, minnow head, waxies, etc. I do also use jigging raps, rippin raps, all sorts of stuff. They're aggressive, and love to chase. Makes for a good time.

As mentioned below, they will hit shiners on tip ups, but the common issue is them spitting it so quickly. If you do want to use tip ups, rig a quick strike with really small treble hooks and your hook up will dramatically increase. Good luck!

2/12/20 @ 3:07 PM
free2prowl
free2prowl
User since 3/4/19

If you haven't been able to get after trout through the ice, its highly recommended!  If you like what you see hit that subscribe button and join us on future adventures.   Tight lines out there!

1/16/19 @ 9:14 AM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10

A chunk of night crawler hanging off a jig spoon.Jig it like you have never fished before. Trout like to chase.

12/23/18 @ 8:13 PM
Chemist
Chemist
PRO MEMBER User since 6/17/01

I've considered running up to Horseshoe lake or over to devils lake to try for trout. Anyone ice fish those?

12/20/18 @ 7:40 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Yes, they inhabit the entire water column. A flasher is key. My favorite lure is a very small (1/32 - 1/64) horizontal jig with a waxie or spike. Kernels of canned corn work well sometimes too.  Good luck!

12/20/18 @ 11:22 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Fish them like you would a panfish. They can be anywhere in the water column and tend to be aggressive when you find them. If you don't have a flasher they may be tough to find. Jig or small spoon is what I have caught them on. I don't target them but catch a fair amount as they are stocked in a lot of lakes up this way. When they've hit my tip ups, they usually drop the minnow before I can get a hook-set. I've caught them 1' below the ice before in 30 fow, could see them circling the hole like a fish tank.
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE