MORE
Trout Fishing

Carrying a net and creel

4/27/17 @ 12:56 PM
INITIAL POST
catfisheatwalleyes
Animated1
User since 1/20/09

What's your most convenient way for carrying a creel and net when trout fishing? The creel seems to have the most obvious answer but I'm always trying to find a way to have the net easily accessible while having it out of the way when not being used. Anyone have any tried and true ways of doing this?

Thanks. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
5/19/18 @ 4:56 PM
Chemist
Chemist
PRO MEMBER User since 6/17/01

I like one gallon ziplock backs for fish. You can slip them in the bag, and then in some kind of pack. Ice would be helpful on a warmer day or longer trip.

5/9/17 @ 6:17 AM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01

After learning how to land coho salmon without a net, I gave up carrying a net for inland trout.

I do wear a game bag around my waist that contains my tackle.  Sorta like a fanny pack.  

I keep a plastic grocery bag in it to hold trout up to 13 inches long.  The plastic bag keeps the rest of my tackle from getting slimy.

If it is a large trout, say 14 inches or larger, I simply return to the truck and toss it in the 5 gallon bucket. On hot days, I keep ice in the bucket.

5/8/17 @ 10:10 PM
Animated1
User since 1/20/09

I bought a Gear Keeper Net Retractor late last week and have no regrets. There were times when I had to check that it was there because it never got in the way but was easily accessible when needed.

5/4/17 @ 2:47 PM
by the finn
User since 9/4/01

My net is attached to my shoulder bag cooler. keeps the beer and crawlers cold!

5/2/17 @ 7:56 AM
Animated1
User since 1/20/09

Thanks for all the info.

I have the ergo net and now have to decide on how I want to attach it to my vest. I'm looking a these two options and why you may prefer one over the other. Thanks again for the info!

1) http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/fly-fishing/fly-fishing-accessories/tools%7C/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/104339880/i/103893480/tight-line-entrps-net-release/2030196.uts

2) http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/fly-fishing/fly-fishing-accessories/tools%7C/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/104339880/i/103893480/gear-keeper-net-retractor/732334.uts

5/1/17 @ 8:19 PM
Vermeeson
Vermeeson
User since 1/22/02

I used a rubberized net attached with these magnets in CO last summer on a fly fishing trip and it worked very very well. The bungee attaching the two is a must, but it stayed in the small of my back and out of the way. I like the idea of a camel back for the trout, although the ol creel works much easier. I've never had an issue with the fish, but to be able to ice them down right away sounds tempting.... so does the Spotted Cow celebratory streamside brewski!

4/30/17 @ 1:17 PM
A5¢
A5¢
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/09

My vest has the old D ring on the collar in back that a one-handed clip to release the net. It also has a long elastic cord that loops over the opposite shoulder the netting hand, in the event the net is dropped. I know it's not as nice as the magnets, but I've netted a few fish over the years with it.

4/30/17 @ 11:23 AM
crawriverrat
crawriverrat
User since 10/27/02

I carry my camelbak backpack.  Fill the bag with ice.  I then keep any trout i want to keep next to the ice bag, also have ice water to drink while out.  I keep my net (on a tether)  tucked under my backpack.  This way if i decide to have a spotted cow streamside i can keep them nice and cold too.  

4/30/17 @ 9:25 AM
Namvet
Namvet
User since 1/9/09

We can agree to disagree on using the magnetic hook-up.  Since I use very light tippets I've found the net helps me landing and releasing a larger trout.  It also helps from extreme tiring a fish.  I don't find it necessary on smaller fish, but if you're lucky enough to hook a nice fish I find it useful.  I do agree that you have to be aware when travelling through brush, etc.  That holds true for any other dangling items you might carry on the outside of a vest. I've found a lot of "stuff" on the side of streams that evidently got snagged on branches, etc.  This is one of those many subjects that will have multiple views.  It's sort of like talking religion or politics.  There is no right or wrong way.     

4/28/17 @ 3:39 PM
fetch-um-up
PRO MEMBER User since 2/19/06

I would second the magnets.  They are very strong, and I have a short light bungy cord on the handle so if I let go or if it does get snagged on something it doesn't get away.........

4/28/17 @ 10:17 AM
Animated1
User since 1/20/09
I was wondering about the magnetic clips and had doubts about their performance as I would think they would come undone and I would be chasing a net down river. Glad to hear they work, I may have to give that a try. I also like the pouch idea as I bought a couple vests to try this year. Thanks for the information.
4/28/17 @ 6:12 AM
Namvet
Namvet
User since 1/9/09

Years ago I picked up a magnetic coupler for my net.  One magnet attaches to the D-ring on the back of my vest. The other magnet is attached to an O-ring on the net. It easily detaches and reattaches without having to locate the large zipper pocket on the back of the vest.  Magnets are very strong so they won't detach in brush, etc.

4/28/17 @ 12:52 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

My vest has a large pocket on the back that zips open.  My net goes in there and all I have to do is reach back, grab it and I'm good to go.  I rarely bring a wicker creel along.  They are too bulky.  I have one that is more like a pouch.  When I work an area the creel gets set on the side of the stream.  

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE