Allenton Creek

4/22/14 @ 7:44 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Derelict2
Derelict2
USER since 8/12/05
So lets start another discussion about a stream that is most likely very questionable in terms of real fish-ability. I take a stroll along Allenton Creek in the Allenton Marsh Wildlife area at least once a year. I think every time I do it I think something will be different. The stream will be wider. There will be less trees. I will actually be able to cast. I will at least see a trout. Yeah none of that ever happens. Yet, this stream has been stocked with nearly 25,000 trout since 2000! Additionally it is listed as a class two trout water. Now, I realize that the classing of a trout water is not an indicator as to whether or not its easy for humans to fish it, rather as an assessment of the waters ability to hold and reproduce trout. Big difference. Anyways, lets talk about Allenton Creek. Anyone ever actually caught a fish there? Are there hidden sections deep in the woods that have some fish-able stretches? Seems like there is a significant stocking effort here which would be kind of silly if there isn't really a realistic chance of fishing it anywhere. Further, does anyone know where these fish are physically stocked each year? The database says 11N-18E-27.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts
5/12/18 @ 9:52 AM
Chemist
Chemist
USER since 6/17/01

I looked it over this morning. I'm not sure where you would be able to do a backcast on the parts of the stream I've seen. But I'm not a fly fisherman either. The water was clear and not very high this morning, even with all the rain, so I think the surrounding wetlands absorbed the rain well. I'm guessing everything would be very soft on the shorelines.

Post Your Comment
5/8/18 @ 6:21 PM
Clammy_Davis_Jr
Clammy_Davis_Jr
USER since 2/11/15

I was thinking of throwing some flies out here this weekend for trout. The pictures online make it look like it’s very narrow. Is this worth the time to fish out here? 

Post Your Comment
3/28/16 @ 3:57 PM
Derelict2
Derelict2
USER since 8/12/05
Well looks like I'll have to go take my annual walk and see what I can make happen!

Post Your Comment
3/12/16 @ 2:21 PM
jiggerman580
jiggerman580
USER since 2/18/16
Oh there in there went out today on the allenton Creek lost one and caught one the one I list was a nice 12 brookie

Post Your Comment
7/19/15 @ 5:49 PM
Chemist
Chemist
USER since 6/17/01
Bought a trout stamp today (primarily to fish Big Green and Big Cedar for Lake Trout) so I decided to try Allenton for an hour or so.

I fished downstream from Wildlife and caught 6 creek chubs. The biggest was about 7 inches and at that point I really thought I might have my first Allenton Creek trout.

At least I caught something though. 26 years ago I fished it and said "never again".

But, I gave it a try. Very shallow water. Some wood based cover and that is where the chubs were. I kind of thought that's where the trout would be but who knows....

So, there is you Allenton Creek report for 2015.

Post Your Comment
5/17/15 @ 6:10 PM
jaybeeturtle
jaybeeturtle
USER since 3/17/06
Yep, Allenton is a very difficult place to make a cast. It's also full of trout. If you ever fished a brush choked brookie stream way up north by sneaking up to the bank and dabbling, and did well, you will have success on this stream. It can be a brutal bushwacking experience, though. I can personally say that i have landed 16 to 18 inch fish over the years and lost some that looked to definitely be at least 20. I recommend 8 lb test if you want to yank those big girls out of the narrow, brush choked confines. The casts are so short, they dont get a good chance to see the line on the mostly reaction-type strikes. Its more like hunting than fishing, on this stream

Post Your Comment
3/18/15 @ 10:02 AM
JoeFriday
JoeFriday
USER since 10/17/13
Glad to know I'm not the only one who has wondered about this. It's so frustrating since it's the only flowing water in Washington County that the DNR stocks. And yet I have never seen a fish. Every year I think "I'll go there this year and find that hidden spot". But it never happens.

Other than the Onion, what's the next closest trout water suitable for fly fishing?

Post Your Comment
2/23/15 @ 9:08 AM
mike51098
mike51098
USER since 1/10/08
How do you all fish these small creeks like Allenton?

I have tried Allenton with no luck, found another small stream south of madison now since I moved, but dont know how to try to fish for trout in it. Its a stocked stream too.

Post Your Comment
8/16/14 @ 9:58 PM
Chemist
Chemist
USER since 6/17/01
I have fished it a few time, but never caught a fish. There is a section east of 41 as well where they did habitat work to try to get brookies to reproduce, but it looks like it is all private property.

Post Your Comment
5/3/14 @ 12:29 AM
porcupine
porcupine
USER since 5/17/05
I have not fished Allenton but I have walked it. It looks too small and shallow but for brook trout it honestly doesnt matter. I have a stream I fish (wont say where) that is similar to Allenton and have caught my personal best stream brookie from, Brookies in the 14-15" range happen frequently. The trick is not depth but cover. If its deep enough for their back to be covered and there is a hiding place. fish it. you will be surprised. By best came from a long stretch 6" deep. There was a rock out in the open that had a few dozen dead leaves on the surface. He was sitting right in there waiting. For Lures I like small hand tied jigs. Black or brown marabou works great, easy to control and and easy to present.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 11 Posts