What to do about people riding on your property?

1/25/18 @ 10:23 AM
ORIGINAL POST
PimplySwede
PimplySwede
USER since 1/6/09

Bought some land and moved last spring.  A posted snowmobile trail runs along the west boundary of my property, supposed to be in the ditch, but I've had several tracks coming up onto my land and cutting the corner.

Wouldn't be a big deal, but I planted saplings that are now getting run over, plus I have a young son who likes to explore the woods - he's been told to stay away from the ditch, but I don't feel like I should have to tell him to stay off our own property.

What have others done in this situation?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 11 to 15 of 15 Posts
1/26/18 @ 11:02 AM
PimplySwede
PimplySwede
USER since 1/6/09

Thanks Bugle.  Good advice.

Post Your Comment
1/25/18 @ 11:11 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I would start with the local snowmobile club that maintains the trail.  Tell them that you have planted saplings and you want the sledders to stay on the trail.  I've see where the club has put up orange plastic snow fence making sure people don't cut corners like they are on your land.  They also many times post a sign that reads, "Stay on the trail or stay home!"  I've also seen signs indicating that there are planted trees in certain spots which usually keeps people off of the area.

Good luck.  For the most part I see a lot of respectable behavior from people enjoying the trails.  Many understand that the trail system is a privilege not a right and that they are using someone else's property.  But then you have the 1% that don't respect anything and make everyone look bad.

Post Your Comment