LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Snowmobiles

What to do about people riding on your property?

1/25/18 @ 10:23 AM
INITIAL POST
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Bought some land and moved last spring.  A posted snowmobile trail runs along the west boundary of my property, supposed to be in the ditch, but I've had several tracks coming up onto my land and cutting the corner.

Wouldn't be a big deal, but I planted saplings that are now getting run over, plus I have a young son who likes to explore the woods - he's been told to stay away from the ditch, but I don't feel like I should have to tell him to stay off our own property.

What have others done in this situation?

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts
8/29/18 @ 2:43 PM
resolutetackle.com
User since 5/24/17

I would talk to the local snowmobile club.  They will make special accomodations / signage on the trail to keep the idiots away.

I own snowmobiles and am an active member of multiple clubs.  99% of snowmobilers are very conscious and courteous of following the rules and not going off-trail.

Unfortunately (like in anything) it only takes 1 or 2 boneheads to ruin it for everybody.

If you voice your concerns to the local club I think it should help.

2/27/18 @ 6:31 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Sure has not been a problem this year ! Our trails never opened. 

2/18/18 @ 6:36 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I hear you Shad.  I have a piece of property that has a prominent logging road through it which runs through the 1000ish acres surrounding me and likely goes far beyond that as it all used to be paper company land years ago.  The local trail isn't far from it.  I figure that I'll get approached at some point and there's no way I'll let a trail though the property.

I got into snowmobiling a few years ago and took my last ride about a year or two afterwards.  While 99% of the people on the trails were responsible, the speedsters and drunks turned me off.  Even if it's only 1% of the riders, I don't want that on my land.

2/18/18 @ 2:28 AM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12

My parents own a small piece of property on a ridge. It's a great shortcut for drunks on sleds. My parents have had the common sense to tell them "no" to a trail there for the last 5 years. They can expect the same answer until I die  because I'll inherit the property. When it comes to drunks on sleds "just say no" if it's your property. You'll thank yourself later.

2/16/18 @ 8:19 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

You should have said “”Choot em’ Lizabeth”

Then we would have known!

2/15/18 @ 10:48 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Oh. ok.  That makes it really cool.  I guess I just missed it.  I'm getting old and all.

2/14/18 @ 8:56 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Awesome.  Murder 1.  Let us know how that goes while you're cuddling with your cell mate.

2/10/18 @ 12:21 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Same answer . Most clubs will do about anything to keep the landowners happy . Real hard to move a trail if neighbors find out you had trouble,  they sure don't want it .

1/29/18 @ 5:16 PM
SJB
SJB
User since 7/16/01

The below advice is spot on.  Your local club will take care of the issue - contact them and make sure they follow up.  Having been part of a few different snowmobile clubs, if they know about the issue, it is addressed right away.  Rerouting trails is much more work than addressing an issue. 

1/26/18 @ 11:02 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Thanks Bugle.  Good advice.

1/25/18 @ 11:11 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I would start with the local snowmobile club that maintains the trail.  Tell them that you have planted saplings and you want the sledders to stay on the trail.  I've see where the club has put up orange plastic snow fence making sure people don't cut corners like they are on your land.  They also many times post a sign that reads, "Stay on the trail or stay home!"  I've also seen signs indicating that there are planted trees in certain spots which usually keeps people off of the area.

Good luck.  For the most part I see a lot of respectable behavior from people enjoying the trails.  Many understand that the trail system is a privilege not a right and that they are using someone else's property.  But then you have the 1% that don't respect anything and make everyone look bad.

Displaying 1 to 12 of 12 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE