MORE
Recipies & Cooking

When the wife's away

4/11/16 @ 9:00 PM
INITIAL POST
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
User since 12/20/12
Wondering what guys eat when wife's away? I'm more of the cook in the family but when wife is gone I normal just eat poorly not tonight though. I'm making rib eye with hen of the woods and wild onions,corn on cobb fresh cheesie mash taters and home made bread. But for lunch today I ate dinty Moore stew cold out of can. FYI it's nasty. So let's hear it guys you just skimp by or make a nice dinner for your self.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
6/26/18 @ 4:01 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

My wife is also an outstanding cook and has opened my eyes to the fact that there is more out there besides meat and fish. However I capitalize on my carnivore instincts when she is away. Some recent items are antelope heart, fried rabbit, venison backstrap cooked in an excessive amount of onions and butter, grouse fried in bacon grease, bear burgers with blue cheese, and of course fried fish. As far as vegetables go, I’m sure I consume some barley in the beer that washes it all down.

6/25/18 @ 4:00 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

When my wife is away I usually run through my normal grilling paces. BBQ chicken, Smoked ribs, steaks, Venni and maybe grilled salmon are in play. It's all very good but when she gets back I am ready for her to broaden the horizons a little. I don't usually spend a lot of time and effort on side dishes so things can get a little boring. Canned spinach and baked beans are great but not for too many days in a row. Mrt.

6/24/18 @ 8:56 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Good thread. Wife is leaving  for 10 days early July. I'l eat like a king also. Lots of grilling. Wife is a wonderful cook and I enjoy it too. Spend a bit on very good ingredients and away i/we go. When at cabin myself, still eat great. But she usually has a few frozen items at cabin I can thaw in morning and eat for supper. She is already saying she'll make dishes ahead of time while gone in July, but i asked only for two small sides. 

5/21/18 @ 8:53 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

My wife was to get home late last night. I was at the land all day putting in food plots so on the way home, very tired, I thought what the heck.

Picked up a big porterhouse and some fresh brussel sprouts. Wife does not like sprouts. Wrapped the sprouts in foil with salt, pepper, 3 ice cubes and a little olive oil. Onto the grill they went for about 20 minutes on low. The steak followed along with a few cold brews. Cut up some carrots and celery on the side with a little ranch dressing. There were no leftovers....  

5/20/18 @ 8:58 PM
Hammer em'
User since 12/16/05

Buggletrout,

love it!

4/18/16 @ 7:46 AM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
User since 12/20/12
Made apple wood smoked ribs baked beans and tater salad last night wow was that good. FYI if you haven't tried them famous daves devil spit pickles are awesome but they do have some heat to them. But wow are they good!
4/14/16 @ 7:24 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
Ding ding ding ding ding! Good to hear from you Gimper!
4/14/16 @ 6:10 PM
Gimper
User since 11/27/01
You're about 9 miles north from where you got that food. Cool
4/14/16 @ 5:52 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
Gold star to whoever guesses where the BugleTrout is! Wink
4/14/16 @ 4:35 PM
Greg P
User since 9/27/10
Wife and I have worked together forever and always together.We cook and eat great but only weekends,to busy on weekdays.Last night she was going to hospital(visiting)and was to be home late. Blawkhawks game about to start and I'm lil hungry.Even though shes 100% dago she only likes a hint of garlic and hates basil.So I take out a bag of 10 cent soup (Ramen Noodles)heat up some olive oil and saute 6-7 large garlic cloves in small pot.Put in noodles whole and fill to top of noodles with water,add some dry basil and let burner rip till 95% of water is evaporated,then added some creole and 1 egg yoke shut off burner and mix together and chow.She smelled the garlic when she got home.
4/14/16 @ 10:37 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
Yep when the wife is away, me and the boys get to eat Spicy. Chili, sausage, onions peppers and kraut!!
4/12/16 @ 12:13 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
I eat like a king when my wife’s away. She was on a cruise a couple of weeks ago and I took full advantage. I made a big pot of French onion soup from a recipe that I stumbled upon that I had been wanting to try. I made various stir fry’s. She likes those but not nearly as spicy as I like mine so it was game on with the Thai chili’s. Went to the meat shop one afternoon and got a half pound of freshly sliced pastrami and made a hot sandwich with Havarti cheese on rye with au jus (the French onion soup and a glass of shiraz were a splendid pairing for the sandwich). Bairdi crab was on sale so I made a mini crab pot one night. It was lamb shank braised in Guinness over garlic mashed spuds and root veggies the Saturday night before she returned. There were other good meals but those were the most memorable. I never ate out once the entire time she was gone. Probably saved money even with some of the decadent menu items! Now when I’m up north at the cabin by myself, I probably eat more like you normally do Reeldrag when the wife’s away. It cuts down on prep time and dishes and leaves more time for fishing and other outdoor activities. I’m not really into the canned soups and stews so I stop in at the Chinese buffet on my way through Rhinelander and heap up a big to-go box. That’s typically good for a couple of suppers and a lunch. Breakfast is usually microwaved Jimmy Dean sandwiches or a granola bar and a thermos of coffee in the boat.
4/12/16 @ 2:17 AM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
User since 12/20/12
Yummy
When the wife's away photo by reeldrag83
Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE