What have you smoked lately? Q-view...

12/3/12 @ 11:05 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Gator43
Gator43
USER since 8/1/01
Just before Thanksgiving, wanted to smoke some snacks to take to my Mom's....did a Spiral ham, couple pound of mixed nuts, and I usually throw on some red taters just because. I rub a little EVOO on the taters, some seasoning, and pull them out when the main course is done. Sometimes they're not cooked all the way through, but can always be finished off when you decide how you want to cook them. I either chop and fry up, or finish off as a baked tater...red taters cook quicker... Good stuff.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 185 Posts
10/19/18 @ 3:51 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
USER since 6/14/05

smoked 3 racks of country style ribs last weekend, had an extra rack so threw in 5 brats and 5 Italian sausages....

on 2 racks I put Cavender's Greek seasoning and one rack Creole seasoning, like the Cavender's better but will probably just go back to Lowry's for the next batch....

oh the brats and sausages...over done...guess I will have to do them alone but they are great if chopped up in bite size pieces browned in a pan (to get hot) throw in about 3 eggs and scramble them together...was pretty good that way, especially the Italian sausages...

country style ribs are awesome reheated in a nuker if not over cooked to start with....used Apple and Hickory wood chips.....

Post Your Comment
10/17/18 @ 6:59 PM
migr8r
migr8r
USER since 2/8/11
Seasoned some straight ground venison with chili seasoning, let it sit overnight. Then loosely spread it out on foil and smoked it for 2 hours. Then added it to the chili pot with the rest of the ingredients. The smokiness added some great flavor. 

Post Your Comment
9/22/18 @ 4:48 PM
migr8r
migr8r
USER since 2/8/11
Ha! Habaneros are damn hot and right on the brink of what I can handle for heat. I really like the actual taste of them. After being cooked down during the smoking process, I wound up with 3# of puréed habaneros and used 1 1/2# and other ingredients to make 26-8oz jars. The sauce I make is quite hot. The thing about it is is that it tastes really good and as long as you keep eating it, you’re ok. It’s when you stop that you realize how hot it is and better have a beer in hand. 

Post Your Comment
9/22/18 @ 11:56 AM
Lastcastmaybeknot
Lastcastmaybeknot
USER since 4/20/16

I love reheated ribs.   We always cook 3 racks. Cut the extra racks in half put in foil and then freezer bag.   Then you can take them out and put in the oven or grill for a quick meal.  Almost seam better than fresh.   Maybe it's because my head hasn't been in the smoke for hours.  Kinda get the full effect

Post Your Comment
9/22/18 @ 8:39 AM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

Migr*r is crazy.  I bought a couple habaneros once to "try" them....they were 10x hotter than jalapeños...couldn't use them in anything they were too hot.  I thought I could handle some heat, but holy crap that grill full of them looks like utter terror.

How many 55gal drums of sauce are you making?

Post Your Comment
9/21/18 @ 6:08 PM
Edge
Edge
USER since 2/28/07

Migr,

My eyes are tearing just looking at all them peppers. You must have the old cast iron intestines and bung hole. 

Post Your Comment
9/19/18 @ 11:27 PM
migr8r
migr8r
USER since 2/8/11

Smoked a 1/2 bushel of habaneros for a hot sauce that I make. After seeding them and having the smoked peppers inside my house, breathing is not the typical pleasant experience that it normally is. 

Post Your Comment
9/17/18 @ 9:13 PM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

I have always read, and experienced, that reheated smoked meat is NEVER as good as fresh.  Pulled pork is one of the more forgiving meats to reheat, however.  Save ALL the juice and use it during the reheat.  You might fortify it with beef or pork stock as well if you don't have enough original drippings.

If you asked about doing this with a brisket, I'd say absolutely not.

Post Your Comment
9/17/18 @ 8:09 PM
doohop65
doohop65
USER since 2/23/10

I always pull mine when they are smoked. If you don’t need it right away let it cool down below 100 degrees. The juice will redistribute nicely and pull well. 

When you reheat use some finishing sauce sauce or a touch of apple cider vinegar when you reheat. It will be great. 

Post Your Comment
9/17/18 @ 6:38 PM
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
USER since 3/14/06

I am planning on smoking a pork shoulder  Thursday but not serving until Saturday.  Would it be better to pull it right away and re heat for sammies on Saturday or just wait until Saturday when I warm it up then?  Thanks in advance!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 185 Posts