What have you smoked lately? Q-view...

12/3/12 @ 10:05 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Gator43
Gator43
USER since 8/1/01
Just before Thanksgiving, wanted to smoke some snacks to take to my Mom's....did a Spiral ham, couple pound of mixed nuts, and I usually throw on some red taters just because. I rub a little EVOO on the taters, some seasoning, and pull them out when the main course is done. Sometimes they're not cooked all the way through, but can always be finished off when you decide how you want to cook them. I either chop and fry up, or finish off as a baked tater...red taters cook quicker... Good stuff.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 216 Posts
1/3/19 @ 3:45 PM
fetch-um-up
fetch-um-up
USER since 2/19/06

Very simple recipe for smoking venison or waterfowl.  Use 1T Tender Quick Curing Salt per pound of meat and put in ziplock bag with just enough water to cover.  Shake to dissolve.  Shake every day for week to 10 days.  Timing is not critical as this is an Equilibrium Brine and it will only absorb so much salt.  Then time and let dry to form pellicle.  Into smoker at 200 give or take and check every half hour or so after 2 hours, depending on the thickness.  This brine will penetrate to about 2 inches, so adjust your cuts accordingly......

Post Your Comment
1/3/19 @ 7:22 AM
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11

I guess I didn't even consider there would be a thread specifically for bacon, but then again, it is bacon...

Thanks!

Post Your Comment
1/2/19 @ 1:56 PM
Edge
Edge
USER since 2/28/07

Go to the bacon thread, the have a good recipe and good tips

Edited on 1/2/19 1:57 PM
Post Your Comment
1/2/19 @ 9:41 AM
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11
Well I've had 10# of pork belly curing for the past week. Really have no idea what I'm doing so it is more or less an experiment. Fortunately the butcher sells his own combination of curing salt and sugar/spices so I used that for all 10#. Added some boubon and maple syrup to 2.5# and just bourbon to 2.5#, left the rest with the salt/sugar mix only. Planning to take it out tomorrow to form the pellicle for a day or so and then smoking on Saturday. We'll see what happens!

Edited on 1/2/19 10:51 AM
Post Your Comment
12/24/18 @ 2:04 PM
woodturner
woodturner
USER since 2/12/04

I made bacon from pork shoulder from this site oldfatguy.ca and it tasted just like bacon you would buy and a lot cheaper than pork belly. Was a good cheap alternative to pork belly and a lot meatier but a little chewier. Wife really liked it because not as much fat. I did use curing salt but you have to watch how much of that you use, so good to weigh it before adding to brine. Brined for 8 days then rinsed in cold water and into the smoker.

Post Your Comment
12/24/18 @ 10:55 AM
kvandehei33
kvandehei33
USER since 12/19/11

Anyone have a good recipe for smoked bacon? Is it really as easy as letting it cure for a week and smoking for 2-3 hours? Seems too simple to me.

Post Your Comment
12/7/18 @ 4:21 PM
ere
ere
USER since 2/22/07

I found a site that is seasoning, rub, sauce heaven. Barbequesuperstore.com lots of products from many different vendors. Pretty good delivery times also.

Post Your Comment
12/6/18 @ 2:44 PM
pwrproscremin
pwrproscremin
USER since 8/4/08
smoked some sharp cheddar, pepperjack and colby jack the other day.  now its sitting in vaccum seal bags waiting for the holidays

Post Your Comment
12/3/18 @ 7:35 PM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

Rizzo,

Can't stress enough to use both a digital meat thermometer AND an ambient temp thermometer (also digital) in the smoker.  My Masterbuilt tells me it's at 225F, actual air temp in the smoker is about 180F.  I have to turn my smoker up to 260-270F to get it actually at 225...summer or winter.

Even when maintaining accurate temps, smoke times vary GREATLY from one brisket to the next.  Have patience and plenty of beer on hand.

Post Your Comment
12/3/18 @ 4:53 PM
Rizzo22
Rizzo22
USER since 1/23/04

Thanks, I am looking into it a little more and the 300 is a little to high.I will stick to the 225.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 216 Posts