What have you smoked lately? Q-view...

12/3/12 @ 11:05 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Gator43
Gator43
USER since 8/1/01
Just before Thanksgiving, wanted to smoke some snacks to take to my Mom's....did a Spiral ham, couple pound of mixed nuts, and I usually throw on some red taters just because. I rub a little EVOO on the taters, some seasoning, and pull them out when the main course is done. Sometimes they're not cooked all the way through, but can always be finished off when you decide how you want to cook them. I either chop and fry up, or finish off as a baked tater...red taters cook quicker... Good stuff.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 95 Posts
5/22/17 @ 11:54 AM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

Recently did Paul Prudohme's "Sticky Chicken" in the smoker instead of the oven.  Meat was absolutely the best, the skin was not as edible as when baked in an oven.  Smoked 5 hours at 250F, 3-4lb whole chicken with spice rub, stuffed cavity with chopped onion.  Smokers tend to make chicken skin rubbery...smoke also makes the rubbed skin a little more bitter than when baked in the oven at same temp for same time.

Kind of torn...the meat was incredible, but the skin is 1/2 the reason to eat this recipe, IMO.

I guess I could skin the bird after smoking and deep fry the skin.  Now there's some healthy eating.

Post Your Comment
5/16/17 @ 3:16 PM
wini
wini
USER since 3/27/06

Did my first pork shoulder- local store had for 88 cents/lb. Still learning on an old Weber. About 9 hours. Turned  out very nice.  Nice bark and not over done. Tried to stay around 250 degrees. Bonus-put on some chicken quarters last three hours and they also turned out great.

Post Your Comment
5/10/17 @ 7:47 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I smoked a large pike that I gill hooked a few years ago.  I just cutback on the salt in my salmon brine recipe since pike has less oil/moisture.  It turned out great.

I cold smoked a rack of pulled chicken from a day old rotisserie chicken tonight to make some BBQ chicken sammies tomorrow night.  Hickory.  My shirt still carries the aroma.  I'd wear it to work tomorrow but I'm afraid that the food bags would follow me around all day.

Post Your Comment
5/10/17 @ 6:12 PM
amaranthlost
amaranthlost
USER since 5/31/10
Does anyone have a good recipe for smoked sturgeon? I have a shovelnose I caught that I caught (on pool 9 ) and was wondering if anyone has any tried and true recipes for sturgeon. I have some I use for salmon but I didn't know if you did something different for sturgeon.

Post Your Comment
4/23/17 @ 1:50 PM
ice queen
ice queen
USER since 12/16/10

Glad to hear mad trapper.  Just have to play with temps and time the size of the cuts of meat etc...   I went to Walmart in there grill section and bought a wireless Bluetooth thermometer for under $15 works awesome. Just run the probe through a smoke vent and put into meat , turn on base and the temp screen can set to a given temp or your own with alarm!! Just set and forget

Edited on 4/24/17 11:05 AM
Post Your Comment
4/23/17 @ 11:27 AM
Mad Trapper
Mad Trapper
MEMBER since 2/13/02

Thanks Ice Queen. U were right. Turned outvery good. But could cut time back. I am new to this. Be great if everyone could put time and temp on what they smoke. Searching web is a pain to find what u what.

Post Your Comment
4/22/17 @ 6:48 PM
ice queen
ice queen
USER since 12/16/10

I put that on at 8:30 this morning had to cut in thirds would not fit.  Smoked for 6hrs at about 170 then another hour at 200-210. For yours it won't take that long at 225 

Post Your Comment
4/22/17 @ 4:24 PM
Mad Trapper
Mad Trapper
MEMBER since 2/13/02

How long and what Temp u smoking that? I am doing country style ribs which arent ribs. 3hrs @ 225. Plan to wrap than.

Post Your Comment
4/22/17 @ 8:36 AM
ice queen
ice queen
USER since 12/16/10

10 pounds of pork loin just went in the smoker. Brined with apple cider, cider vinegar, onion & garlic powder, salt, Worcester sauce, apple pie moonshine! Also, injected with apple cider and The apple marinade!!

Edited on 4/23/17 7:36 AM
Post Your Comment
4/21/17 @ 9:41 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

...and yes, I did peel them.  

Cutting them in half before smoking will get you more smoke flavor but I'm of the belief that you can over-smoke certain foods.  My opinion is that the smoke residue on the outside of the egg whites was sufficient.

I cold smoked some salmon that I brought back from AK last fall prior to canning it.  I doubled the amount of time that the fish was in the smoker for the second batch.  It was too much.  I made salmon patties with it and spent the rest of the evening burping smoke flavor.  That batch is great for dips but not patties or loafs due to the excess smoke.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 95 Posts