What have you smoked lately? Q-view...

12/3/12 @ 11:05 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Gator43
Gator43
USER since 8/1/01
Just before Thanksgiving, wanted to smoke some snacks to take to my Mom's....did a Spiral ham, couple pound of mixed nuts, and I usually throw on some red taters just because. I rub a little EVOO on the taters, some seasoning, and pull them out when the main course is done. Sometimes they're not cooked all the way through, but can always be finished off when you decide how you want to cook them. I either chop and fry up, or finish off as a baked tater...red taters cook quicker... Good stuff.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 130 Posts
9/10/17 @ 6:21 PM
bassmaster+recordracks
bassmaster+recordracks
USER since 2/25/12

Smoked our first beef roast and pork roast. They are excellent. We also did some briskets and ribs. 

Post Your Comment
9/4/17 @ 11:51 AM
fishiz2
fishiz2
USER since 7/1/03

Ribs and pork belly

Post Your Comment
9/4/17 @ 9:48 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
USER since 7/17/09

Smoked a few wild ducks ( wood duck/teal ) over the weeekend. It was amazing!   Definitly my new goto for duck preparing.

Nothing to overwhelming for preparing. Brine soak overnight and a pat down hour before smoker time. 225 for 3.5hrs.and drizzled maple syrup over the top. Out of apple chips but cherry worked out as a nice replacement 

Post Your Comment
9/4/17 @ 9:46 AM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
USER since 1/22/15

I've smoke a venison roast, chopped it up and made chilli with it  prolly the best chilli I've had 

Post Your Comment
9/4/17 @ 8:32 AM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

Ended up making a chili with the 5lbs or remaining tough brisket...turned out great.  I chopped up the brisket meat, put it in a pot with 2 stout beers and a 28oz can of chopped tomatoes and stewed it for 3-4 hours...the meat got very tender.  Added that to a huge pot full of beans, peppers, onions, tomatoes and a host of other ingredients.  Definitely good, but now I have about 20 meals of chili in the freezer for me and the wife.   Should last the winter.

I checked on replacing the water pan/bowl for the Masterbuilt.  They want $50 ($39 + $9.99 shipping/handling) for a hunk of stamped pot-metal...that might push me to buying a Traeger and dumping the Masterbuilt.  I know it's a volume thing...they probably sell 20 water pans a year, but there isn't $2 worth of labor and material in that thing...

Post Your Comment
8/28/17 @ 1:40 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Did my second pork belly this past weekend.  So good.

Post Your Comment
8/25/17 @ 11:28 PM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

Kona,

Trimming may have worsened my problem.  I always trim off all but 1/4" of the fat.  Had I left it all on, maybe would have been okay.  I've done 1/2-dozen briskets and this was the first to come out bad.  Even at 2.99/lb, it's hard to accept $50 of bad meat.   Was a "Choice" grade too....the "Select" grades I've done before were much better....with a water pan that held water that is.  Chili it is...

Post Your Comment
8/25/17 @ 1:20 PM
kona77
kona77
USER since 6/20/13

12Pack-  That is a bummer on a ruined brisket.. I always use a water pan in my smoker but I would have thought all the fat on a brisket would still keep it moist. I have only done a few briskets but I know I did way too much trimming on my first brisket.. Can not think of any other use except in a chile or some type of stew..

You would a very happy dog if you went that route   

Post Your Comment
8/25/17 @ 9:16 AM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

Just an FYI...my Masterbuilt smoker's water pan got a couple of corrosion holes in the bottom of it...maybe from scrubbing it clean too much.  Anyway, tried to line it with foil while smoking a whole packer brisket yesterday...it leaked and provided no steam to the smoke.  The entire flat came out tough and dry as a bone = ruined.  The point is edible, but certainly not good.  I did not expect the meat to dry out...I thought the steam was to enhance the meat's taking on smoke...not to keep the meat moist.  Learn something every day!

I know there are folks who do not use water pans, but in an electric smoker, I think this proves they are required, at least for a brisket.  Anyone got an idea, other than chili, for 15lbs of dry brisket meat?  I guess my dogs will eat it happily...

Post Your Comment
8/9/17 @ 9:05 PM
kona77
kona77
USER since 6/20/13

Stopped by the Costco in the Falls and they have "Choice" grade briskets for $2.79lb, plus a $10 rebate on each one.. Tough to beat that price.

I understand there is a shortage of the "Premium" grade briskets but I doubt the people I hang out with can tell the difference. (bought 2 of them) 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 130 Posts