What have you smoked lately? Q-view...

12/3/12 @ 11:05 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Gator43
Gator43
USER since 8/1/01
Just before Thanksgiving, wanted to smoke some snacks to take to my Mom's....did a Spiral ham, couple pound of mixed nuts, and I usually throw on some red taters just because. I rub a little EVOO on the taters, some seasoning, and pull them out when the main course is done. Sometimes they're not cooked all the way through, but can always be finished off when you decide how you want to cook them. I either chop and fry up, or finish off as a baked tater...red taters cook quicker... Good stuff.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 104 Posts
6/21/17 @ 9:17 PM
kyl_me
kyl_me
USER since 7/21/08

If you guys doing chicken have not been brining your birds (or pieces), you really should give it a try. 

Post Your Comment
6/21/17 @ 6:31 PM
fishiz2
fishiz2
USER since 7/1/03

Chicken on the traeger, 2 hrs on smoke and 40 min @325, first time with chicken on the new smoker. Meat was very moist 

Post Your Comment
6/17/17 @ 5:50 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Pork belly.  Burnt ends.  Took all day.  Yum!

Post Your Comment
6/13/17 @ 2:28 PM
Cold Front
Cold Front
USER since 7/9/01

Just smoked 3 big steelhead on the Green Mountain pellet grill/smoker. My old smoker croaked so I got the grill to replace it. I did  the usual brine and then smoked them 4 hours at 150* and 1 hour at 180. I used the Green Mountain premium Gold blend pellets just because I got a bag with the unit. It came out very good. It tastes very much like having it done at the meat market.Glad I went that route rather than just another smoker. Mrt. 

Post Your Comment
6/12/17 @ 12:37 PM
CCA
CCA
USER since 6/19/01

12 pack- The Cabelas rub sucks, I couldn't get a bark to form with it either, I now use Penzy's and it makes a much better bark. I use it on wings, ribs, and pork butts. When doing ribs, baby backs are a little tricker, try St.louis style cut. More fat and meat is better than the lean baby backs. I also use a 4-2 method at 230 degrees, 4 straight and 2 wrapped with squeeze butter, brown sugar and honey. Made ribs Sat. and Sun., did chicken wings and a new york strip for tacos, it was awesome!

Post Your Comment
6/6/17 @ 7:19 AM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

Z

Yes, I remove the membrane.  I think I've used the same brand of packaged ribs I get at the local grocer all three times.  I know that same brand turns out almost too tender when I do ribs in a slow cooker.  Only problem with that, is they don't get smoke or bark.

Think I'll try a rack from a butcher.  Only problem there is the cost...local butchers charge twice what the grocer does.  Or maybe I'll just stick with butts and briskets.  I like them better anyway.

I could tell they weren't going to be good when I moved from step 1 to 2...the racks were still too stiff to be tender.  I just read the 3-2-1 method on almost every website, all said is foolproof and sure-fire for true tenderness.  

This kind of experimentation causes one to get a handle like mine ;).

Post Your Comment
6/5/17 @ 6:36 AM
ZTates
ZTates
USER since 5/23/08

Hey 12pack,

I've got the same setup as you.  If I make ribs I'll often do exactly as you described with the 3-2-1 method.  The only difference is I typically set my smoker to 250.  

If I go with the full time I usually end up having a hard time getting them out of the smoker without them falling apart.  I actually shorten the time a bit now.

I'd say try turning up the temp a bit or maybe the ribs you're getting really are no good?  

Not sure how much a difference it makes with toughness but I'm assuming you remove that silver skin on the back?

Post Your Comment
6/4/17 @ 8:42 PM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

Smoked 2 racks of baby backs today.  Used the 3-2-1 method to a tee, and for the 3rd time they come out tough.  Edible, good flavor, just not tender like they should be.  Using an oven probe, so I know my box is at 225F +/- 20, like the smoker should (MasterBuilt 30" electric).

No bark after 3 hours of 225F smoking (prep was a commercial rub from Cabelas that had plenty of salt, no sauce for steps 1 and 2), followed by 2 hours in foil w/cider, followed by 1 hour out of foil with BBQ sauce to glaze.

Any suggestions for the MasterBuilt?  Who knows, maybe the brand of ribs I am buying are crap...

I liked ribs better done in my slow cooker than these tough buggers on the smoker, even though those never have bark at all...

Post Your Comment
5/28/17 @ 10:07 PM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

Another pork butt today.  Started at 4am, off the smoker at 8pm, pulled it at 9pm.  Took longer than expected, but it was a full 10 lbs, trimmed.  I tried applewood chips for first time on a butt, but I found that I prefer hickory for butts and briskets.  11 hours at 225F, finished last 5 hours at 275 because the stall just took too long.  Had to crutch it too.  Still turned out great though...

Start temp 40F, finished at 195F.

Post Your Comment
5/22/17 @ 11:54 AM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

Recently did Paul Prudohme's "Sticky Chicken" in the smoker instead of the oven.  Meat was absolutely the best, the skin was not as edible as when baked in an oven.  Smoked 5 hours at 250F, 3-4lb whole chicken with spice rub, stuffed cavity with chopped onion.  Smokers tend to make chicken skin rubbery...smoke also makes the rubbed skin a little more bitter than when baked in the oven at same temp for same time.

Kind of torn...the meat was incredible, but the skin is 1/2 the reason to eat this recipe, IMO.

I guess I could skin the bird after smoking and deep fry the skin.  Now there's some healthy eating.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 104 Posts