walleye on the grill

6/18/15 @ 3:24 PM
ORIGINAL POST
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
anyone have any favorite recipes for walleye on the grill? I did a search on grilled walleye and found nothing on this forum.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
6/24/15 @ 7:38 AM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
Mig that crab one sounds goooooddddd!!!

Post Your Comment
6/22/15 @ 6:55 AM
migr8r
migr8r
USER since 2/8/11
Here's another-

Butter a cast iron skillet well, season fillets with a Cajun or southwest style seasoning. Lay a layer of fillets on the bottom of the skillet, then a 1" or so layer of crab cake mixture, then another layer of fillets, juice of a lemon on top. Cook on grill at medium for about 1/2 hour.

I based this off a crab stuffed flounder recipe I came across and modified it.

Post Your Comment
6/22/15 @ 6:20 AM
migr8r
migr8r
USER since 2/8/11
Directly on the grill- Thoroughly dry fillets on paper towel. Season fish with a Cajun or some sort of southwest style seasoning, salt and a drizzle of olive oil (not dripping with oil). Some lime juice a few minutes before grilling is good. Get grill nuclear hot and clean grate. Take some tongs and oiled paper towel and oil the grate well. Close lid and let the grill get back to temperature. Lay fish directly on grate and cover. Lower heat if necessary. When the fish gets about 1/2" around the outside of looking like its cooked flip over and cook it through. A typical 16-18" walleye fillet takes about 3 minutes on the first side and 2 on the other.

Blackened- Heat a dry non-oiled cast iron skillet on grill to nuclear hot. Dry and season fish same as above but don't use lime juice. Lay fillets on the dry skillet and cook basically exactly the same as directly on the grill. It will smoke like it's burning but it isn't, if you oil the skillet before it will burn. The outside should end up being a really dark brown color. Take dry paper towels and wipe the skillet as clean and dry as possible between batches. A little fresh lime juice is good on it after it's cooked.

With both methods, the trick to not getting the fish to stick is to have the cooking surface very hot and NOT moving the fillet until it is cooked on that side. It will stick initially but as it cooks it will release and you can flip it over easily with very little sticking. I personally prefer charcoal for direct grilling and gas for blackening.

I do this with all of my fish from bluegills to salmon. Great for fish tacos, sandwich or plain. It's easier, healthier and has a lot more flavor than fried.

Post Your Comment
6/21/15 @ 8:00 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12
Thanks or the recipes.

Post Your Comment
6/19/15 @ 4:57 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
Take margarita mix place in bowl cut up 2 jalapeƱo put in margarita mix soak fillets for about 20 min. place on cedar plank and grill until fish flakes. It's very good and super easy

Post Your Comment
6/18/15 @ 6:08 PM
eyesman
eyesman
USER since 1/7/02
#1 Make a tin foil boat 2 or 3 layers thick leaving a cover end. Put a little olive oil in the foil boat, add fish, some butter, lemon juice, a slice of bacon, a bit of onion and any seasonings you like. Close foil over fish and grill on medium heat 15 - 20 minutes, open foil top and grill 10 - 15 minutes or until fish flakes. #2 place fish on a cedar grilling plank, coat with olive oil, seasoning and a strip of bacon. Grill 15 - 20 minutes medium high heat. Soak cedar grilling planks in apple juice overnight before using. #3 place fish, butter, slice of bacon, seasonings and fresh asparagus on foil, wrap at least two layers thick and grill on medium heat 20 - 25 minutes. #4 scale the walleye and leave the skin on. Rub skin with olive oil, coat flesh side with olive oil and season to taste. Grill on low to medium heat basting with butter once or twice. Best when grilled along side some meat that drips fat onto the heat and makes some smoke for flavor, can add some apple or hickory wood to the coals or a smoke pan for some added flavor.

Post Your Comment