venison summer sausage and hot sticks question

12/2/15 @ 9:00 PM
ORIGINAL POST
berman02
berman02
USER since 8/11/03
I am looking at making some summer sausage and hot sticks within the next few weeks. My question is I have a 3 gallon bucket of pork fat from a fresh hog and I am wondering if I can add it to the mixture of ground venison to act as a binding agent for both of these or if I need to add something different to bond them together?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 24 Posts
3/16/16 @ 8:23 PM
berman02
berman02
USER since 8/11/03
Final product. Smells great from hickory smoke

Post Your Comment
3/7/16 @ 6:56 PM
berman02
berman02
USER since 8/11/03
So I made an extra 4lbs of venison to make total of 9 lbs added 6lbs of pork butt. I added 30 scoops of seasoning and 15 scoops of cure. This made 5 tubes of sausage they are in the fridge to finish the curing process and will smoke them tomorrow. I'm going to smoke 4 and put one in the oven to see what the difference will be in flavor so far they look good.

Post Your Comment
3/7/16 @ 4:56 PM
eyesman
eyesman
USER since 1/7/02
2/3 venison and 1/3 pork for summer. Sticks at that ratio or to a 50/50 mix.

Post Your Comment
3/7/16 @ 11:45 AM
berman02
berman02
USER since 8/11/03
So I have 5.65 lbs of venison right now roughly how much pork shoulder will I need to a good mixture for both sticks and sausage or should I grind up more venison before adding the pork shoulder?

Post Your Comment
3/6/16 @ 6:04 PM
kyl_me
kyl_me
USER since 7/21/08
Berman, pictures of finished product and pictures during the process. Good luck.

Post Your Comment
3/6/16 @ 4:26 PM
berman02
berman02
USER since 8/11/03
Thanks all for the responses, I am on spring break and just took some venison out of the freezer now to get me some pork shoulder so I can make some good food over the next few days. I will post some pics once I have a finished product.

Post Your Comment
1/17/16 @ 12:54 PM
eyesman
eyesman
USER since 1/7/02
Recipes for summer sausage I have seen call for a finishing temp anywhere from 145 to 160. I test to the low to mid 150's with an internal thermometer to be safe. I do run a small fan on a speed control to maintain uniform in box temps, this moving air also does get to the finishing temps quicker once the heat is increased to do so. I also add encapsulated citric acid to get more tang to the sausage. No deer for me this year and did a mix of different sausages using beef chuck and pork butt roast. Had summer, bologna, polish and jerky from that.

Post Your Comment
1/17/16 @ 12:06 PM
_Troller
_Troller
USER since 4/22/02
I only use pork shoulder (butt roast.) The way I look at it is there is plenty of fat on the pork shoulder. The last thing you want is greasy sausage. Ever bite into the cheap stuff you see at Fleet Farm or Walmart? Soft... greasy... not much flavor... nasty!.

My percentage is 2/3 venison to 1/3 pork. If you want to improve the flavor replace some of the venison with trimmings from a black angus chuck roast. When I say improve flavor I just mean with the beef added you get some "beef flavor" in your summer sausage. Don't get me wrong using venison is fine. My wife likes it better when I add the beef.

Eyeman has it right on with the smoking temps. Smoke at 100 degrees open vents 1-2 hours to surface dry the casings, add smoke with 1/4 vents open at 120 or less for 4-6 hours and finish at 175-180 closed vents until internal is 152. 152 degrees is a bit on the low side. Okay to go to 158 degrees just be carful. Once you get to 160 degrees you start to lose fat real quick. I'v made the mistake of bumping up the temp on my gas smoker to finish off and ruined a batch to the extent I threw it out. Low and slow is the key. If your using the standard 2 1/2" fibrous casing you should be in the 10-14 hour range for smoking time.

Hope this helps... now go make some sausage!

Post Your Comment
1/11/16 @ 10:03 PM
diver hunter 1987
diver hunter 1987
USER since 9/29/09
As stated prior I would use pork shoulder/butt instead of using straight pork fat. I make a lot of duck and goose sausage and burger and have had better results with pork shoulder/butt than with just straight fat. But that's just how my family's taste is. As far as the summer sausage and hot sticks just tried doing both this year for the first time and was amazed on how good they turned out. Usually only make breakfast sausage, jerky, and brats but after learning how to do hot sticks and summer sausage I will probably be doing that more now. I did a batch of venison hot sticks and summer sausage with back woods seasoning and callogen casing with 20% pork shoulder and smoked with hickory (my first time using a smoker) finished off in the oven and it was great.

Post Your Comment
1/8/16 @ 11:28 PM
eyesman
eyesman
USER since 1/7/02
The pork fat I had to use was less than a month old. It was just the worst of pig that was slaughtered. Pork fat and pork trim are two different items but give similar poor results. I will always stay with ground pork butts to get good results.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 24 Posts