SEARCH
MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Tips for cooking your catch

5/15/18 @ 12:05 PM
INITIAL POST
averageangler
User since 4/18/16

I am a pretty good cook and love to fish but I have never prepared anything I've caught.  This season I'd like to try my hand at frying up some of the bass/walleye/crappie/pike (yes I know about the Y bones) that I catch.  

My question doesn't relate to the recipe.  I am wondering what is the best way to get my fish from the water to the cutting board?  I have heard differing opinions about ice, stringers, livewells and how to dispatch the fish.  Any suggestions/resources would be much appreciated!

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
5/16/18 @ 11:47 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

If you have a cooler of ice with you - clip gills, toss in livewell or basket until they bleed out, then put on ice.

If you have a cooler of ice in the truck - keep the fish fresh in livewell, clip gills about 10 minutes before you are done fishing, put on ice back at the dock.

Not only does it keep the meat fresh, but you don't have flopping fish on the cutting board.

Not sure where you are, but Wisconsin law is livewells must be drained before leaving the launch.

5/16/18 @ 1:54 AM
h2ofowlmedic
User since 9/7/08

If I am keeping fish they go directly on ice.

5/15/18 @ 1:38 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

You can do that but it just makes a big mess.  I run my live well pump the whole drive to the dock to flush the blood out.  If I don't, the blood coagulates and plugs my drain line.

5/15/18 @ 1:03 PM
averageangler
User since 4/18/16

Clip their gills before tossing into the ice or no?  

5/15/18 @ 12:58 PM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02

Fish that are being kept go right into a cooler with ice. Might use the live well when water is colder early season.

5/15/18 @ 12:15 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

For walleyes and pike, I keep them alive in the live well until I'm done fishing.  I clip their gills so they bleed out on the ride back to the launch.  Then I put them on ice as soon as my boat is on the trailer.  Keeps the meat firm and reduces off flavors/odors.  Zipping walleye fillets, especially on bigger ones gets rid of the mud line and the line of small bones.

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE