Squirrel recipes

9/10/15 @ 3:12 PM
ORIGINAL POST
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
one of my all time favorites is bbq. I take and pressure cook them and then grill over an oak fire with my homemade brown sugar raspberry jalapeño bbq sauce it's so good. I love eating tree rat with corn on the cob and good ole fashion baked beans. And a nice jack and coke . Let's hear some good ways to make squirrel.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 Posts
1/21/16 @ 3:24 AM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
USER since 11/19/09
I use the same beer batter I use for fish. Cut them in quarters and a back, dip in batter and deep fry. Better than chicken.

Post Your Comment
12/29/15 @ 11:19 AM
JamesD
JamesD
USER since 2/16/04
Sounds like all you guys got the moist cooking thing down. I love the pressure cooker for a batch of bunnies too. To simplify things for one or two animals I sometimes just toss them in with some brown rice and water and cook covered in an oven for 45 minutes. Shot this rabbit while he was still chomping on stuff. I love my new pumper air gun in 22 cal.

Post Your Comment
11/14/15 @ 7:04 AM
Foundry Rat
Foundry Rat
USER since 1/21/10
Crock pot with a little garlic and country gravy. Awesome!

Post Your Comment
9/25/15 @ 1:29 PM
Badgerloader
Badgerloader
USER since 4/10/11
Any recipe that you would get from a squirrel would be long on nuts, seeds & berries and short on meat & spices.

Post Your Comment
9/24/15 @ 1:06 PM
Unreel
Unreel
USER since 6/15/01
An old trick i learned to make them taste better is to cut out the glands that are under the arm pits and leg pits. Slice into the pit and you will see the gland. It looks like a booger. Get that booger out. They are very bitter and adds a bad taste if you leave them in.

Post Your Comment
9/17/15 @ 9:49 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01
Squirrel is an excellent substitute for chicken in jambalaya. Squirrel meat, andoullie and shrimp. Great combo!

Post Your Comment
9/11/15 @ 9:32 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
Heading out in the morning. Want to bow hunt but hunting tree rats is so in my blood. Got my oak woods all picked out gonna hunt tree rats and mushrooms at same time.

Post Your Comment
9/11/15 @ 12:19 PM
ole 870
ole 870
USER since 6/27/01
Pressure cook then pan fry in butter. God I love those tasty buggers.

Post Your Comment
9/10/15 @ 8:21 PM
Igor
Igor
USER since 6/20/01
Back in my college days at UW-Platteville I used to get quite a few of them my method was simple: Lightly brown them in oil. Once done, place the pieces in a baking dish and cover with mushrooms, onions, and cream of mushroom soup mixed with 1/2 can of milk. Cover, bake at 350 for about 90 minutes. Serve over noodles.

Used to hunt flooded backwaters of the Mississippi and walking out after a morning hunt we used to get them in the oaks. Also used to get MANY MANY MANY tree rats in Adams County. In some areas back in the late '80's I could take my limit of 5 in under 30 minutes.

Lots of fun memories.

Post Your Comment