smoking questions

8/21/11 @ 8:17 PM
ORIGINAL POST
TKfishes
TKfishes
USER since 8/23/09
I love smoked trout and salmon....just wondering if it would turn out ok if I used some from the freezer to smoke? Any other questions would be great im new to smoking and any info would be useful

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 33 Posts
7/8/14 @ 10:46 AM
jiffysteve
jiffysteve
USER since 1/14/08
trout and salmon smoke well coming from the freezer, I do it all the time. 1 cup of canning salt,one gallon of water and you can add anything like garlic powder onion powder, brown sugar etc. to your liking. I brine for at least 24 hrs. you can cut back on the salt by a tablespoon or two if too salty experiment with it.

Post Your Comment
7/4/14 @ 8:54 AM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06
The experiment was a success. 1 inch slabs of solid smoke ring and nice bark. Unfortunately I don't think I will be mixing it in with the meat. The wife put my rub together and instead of chili powder used red pepper flakes..... it's a pretty spicy. If it was just for us it would be fine but I'm feeding a crowd so will keep it a little more tame.

Post Your Comment
7/3/14 @ 11:50 AM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06
Anyone ever cut some pieces off a roast, rub them and then smoke them for some more bark?. The bark/burnt ends are by far the best part of the roast but the picnics I've been doing just don't seem to have enough surface for the size of the roast.

I cut 4 1 inch slabs that I am smoking until they have a good bark on them. I will then add them to the final shredded meat. Looking for an intense smoke flavor this time around.

Post Your Comment
4/1/14 @ 10:54 PM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
USER since 11/19/09
I don't brine as heavy as others, this was old time to preserve the fish. I like the brown sugar and Eyesman I will try the Bay Leaves and Pepper. I do however blast the scales off before anything, just my way. Cold smoke at about 130f for a few hours depending on size then up it to 160f to finish. These are all judgement calls. Always been good stuff.

This is mostly done on a Weber grill with a hole drilled in the top for the thermometer. Apple and Cherry are the preferred woods.

Post Your Comment
3/25/14 @ 10:01 AM
eyesman
eyesman
USER since 1/7/02
Brine recipe for smoked fish. 2 1/2 gallons water and 2 lbs canning salt will just float an egg. Use an uncracked egg if that is your choice for determining a ratio of salt to water. Always did use grandma's brine recipe which was to float an egg, now I use the printed quantity recipe and did test it to float an egg, took the last ounce of 2 lbs. of salt to 2 1/2 gallons water to float the egg. Guess grandma knew what she was talking about, not that I ever doubted her. My brine for smoked fish: 2 1/2 gallons water, 2 lbs salt, 1 lb sugar, 1/2 - 1 cup brown sugar, 1 oz. cure, 2 oz. crushed bay leaves wrapped in a tied off cheesecloth ball, 1 - 2 tablespoons crushed black pepper.

Edited on 3/25/14 10:14 AM
Post Your Comment
3/25/14 @ 8:09 AM
Foundry Rat
Foundry Rat
USER since 1/21/10
You do not need to crack the egg. An uncracked raw egg works fine.

Post Your Comment
2/23/14 @ 10:27 AM
huntfish
huntfish
USER since 6/16/03
A brine recipe if been using for mainly salmon, but could be used for panfish as well---cold water in bucket to desired depth, crack 2 eggs/do not break yolk, and add canning salt and slowly mix. When the eggs rise to the top of the water you have enough salt. Finger taste also to desired saltiness. Add/mix 1-2 cups brown sugar depending on how much fish you plan on brining. I cut my salmon in 2 inch chunks from back on down, or a whole fillet pieces. 24 hours for the chunks, 12 for fillets. Dry pat dry and smoke away!

Post Your Comment
2/20/14 @ 12:46 PM
luckyfish
luckyfish
USER since 1/19/14
Anybody smoke white bass fillets in a electric smoker? Brine,temp, how long? Thanks

Post Your Comment
3/6/13 @ 6:32 PM
utahman
utahman
USER since 3/9/03
A very good book is Home Book of SMOKE COOKING Meat,Fish & Game by Jack Sleight and Raymond Hill. This book pretty much sums up all the things that I learned on my own over the last 40 years.For fish, my one and only method is a weber grill, 12-14 pieces of charcoal,and cherrywood or apple chunks. start the coals, put on the chips or chunks, and keep the top all the way closed, and keep the bottom wide open. Stick with the basics. So "they say". Frozen or not doesnt matter. The hardest part is brining. It seems simple but if you do it wrong it will ruin all your efforts. I never brine for more than 12 hours. Always rinse and let the meat or fish "dry" or drain off on the racks for at least an hour or more. This drying is what forms what is called the pellicle.Recipes and seasonings are all up to you. This smoking method is also used to make what is known out west as fresh jerky, which is sold at roadside stands around utah. Take any meat cut into jerky strips, do NOT marinate, for more than an hour, otherwise the meat will taste "like liver". What I do is just mix the meat in teryaki, brown sugar,black pepper,and hot sauce. Smoke it like described above for about an hour. it is not like preserved jerky like jack links and all the rest. It is more like way overcooked steak, which is basically what it is. Dont use this method with the store bought jerky mixes that you would usually use to dry it in an oven or dehydrator

Post Your Comment
1/3/13 @ 9:58 AM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 33 Posts