preparing flathead catfish

1/4/16 @ 11:19 AM
ORIGINAL POST
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
Hey guys and gals. I have a dilemma. I am currently sitting on about 30 lb of vacuum sealed flathead fillets from the fall flattie smackdown. Normally I just bread and fry it up and it is astonishingly good this way, however, I am combating bouts of acid reflux lately and need an alternative. Quite frankly, deep frying kills my stomach, so I have to try something else. I will of course try fish soup, jambalaya, etc, but need some other ideas. Has anyone ever smoked flathead before? The meat texture is nothing like channel or bullhead so I am hesitant to try without some positive comments from others. The fish is divided up into (6) 5lb bags unfortunately, so when I thaw a bag I need to know what I am going to do with it so I do not waste any. So, if you have any suggestions for eating up this wonderfully flavorful fish and/or you have smoked flattie before I would love to hear about it. Thanks so much!! Jimmy
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 Posts
1/5/16 @ 8:18 AM
Badgerloader
Badgerloader
USER since 4/10/11
Smoked catfish is excellent!!!

Post Your Comment
1/5/16 @ 7:55 AM
eyesman
eyesman
USER since 1/7/02
Baking the fish would be easier on the stomach. Place fillets on foil in a baking pan, add a little butter, season to taste, close foil and bake 30 - 45 minutes at 375 opening the foil for the last 5 - 10 minutes. Leftovers could be reheated better than deep fried ones.

Post Your Comment
1/4/16 @ 9:16 PM
migr8r
migr8r
USER since 2/8/11
Blackened catfish is hard to beat! I blacken my fish in a cast iron skillet on a gas grill, it'll smoke you out of your house otherwise. Eat the fish plain with black beans and rice or on a baguette with whatever fixings you'd like. Blackened fish tacos are hard to beat too.

Blackened fish

Other times I use the same prep as above but place directly on a clean, HOT, well oiled grill. Place it on the grill and don't touch it until the outside edges start to look cooked. Then flip. It won't stick if the grill is hot and you let it cook until it releases itself. Serve like above. Both work great with just about any kind of fish.