Pickled Eggs

10/17/14 @ 3:54 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Bazinga
Bazinga
USER since 8/22/10
Does anyone have a really good pickled egg recipe? We have 12 laying hens that are producing way more than we can eat. We made some with a recipe off the internet and they suck! Looking for a good tried and true recipe.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 25 Posts
1/18/17 @ 7:05 AM
dsinwi
dsinwi
USER since 1/24/02

Put up another batch last night. Same recipe as the last with the addition of two Habanero peppers and a few sweet peppers.

Edited on 1/18/17 7:06 AM
Post Your Comment
1/17/17 @ 4:42 PM
arlo
arlo
USER since 9/29/02

I pickled a dozen of these on New Years Eve day  Sampled my first ones this past Saturday and I am hooked on them. I am going to do 2 dozen the next time. I am thinking of adding a couple tablespoons of horseradish to the brine for a little more kick. Has anyone tried adding it to the brine?

Post Your Comment
1/17/17 @ 10:34 AM
dsinwi
dsinwi
USER since 1/24/02

The entire gallon jar of eggs was consumed by our guests after the Packer victory this past Sunday. I think I need to get 2 jars going this time...

Post Your Comment
1/11/17 @ 4:46 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Yes the brine will yellow or brown over time.  That hasn't changed the flavor in batches I've made.  We've even had them around for a few months.  I forgot to mention that my mom made a batch one time with some fresh dill.  Those eggs were really good as Bloody Mary garnishes.

The guys at deer camp have gotten very creative when "dressing" the eggs.  We started with Tabasco and salt.  These days we have the culinary geniuses slicing them for crackers and topping them with smoked fish, Kim Chi, smoked oysters and horseradish.  No wonder we don't shoot any deer!

Edited on 1/11/17 4:46 PM
Post Your Comment
1/10/17 @ 7:44 AM
dsinwi
dsinwi
USER since 1/24/02

My eggs from BT's recipe are getting a real nice flavor to them now after a full 4 weeks in the brine. Still not hot enough for me but a little hot sauce takes care of that. The brine is turning a little darker and the eggs have a brown color to them on the outer layer now. Still taste fine. I assume the vinegar turns color over time, not sure. I suspect I'll have a jar in the fridge pretty regular now.. Thanks again for the recipe. 

Edited on 1/13/17 9:05 AM
Post Your Comment
1/4/17 @ 8:05 AM
waltereye sr.
waltereye sr.
USER since 6/25/01

Another way that is SUPER easy, is to take brine from pickled Polish sausages you but in a bar. Poke your boiled eggs with a fork and put in bar. Can eat in (5) days. Can fit (23) in bar. Have to pour off some brine. Also juice from cherry bell peppers works.

Post Your Comment
12/27/16 @ 6:59 AM
dsinwi
dsinwi
USER since 1/24/02

My son and I sampled the eggs this past Friday night. 2 weeks in the brine. They are excellent. The addition of the sugar cuts the acidity of the vinegar very well. My son thought they were a little hot. I could just taste a hint of heat from the hot pepper. My FIL tried one one xmas eve and he thought they were hot enough as well. In another week or 2 they should be great!

Thanks for the recipe BT. I'll be making these again for sure.

Post Your Comment
12/26/16 @ 4:34 PM
by the finn
by the finn
USER since 9/4/01

go to the Michigan Tech alumni website. There are some amazing pickled egg recipes. The B & B is the one I use.

Post Your Comment
12/15/16 @ 5:36 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Im looking for feedback on the recipe. It was my grandma's passed from her mother, to my mother and to me. Everyone at deer camp always eats the heck out of them. Just wondering what you think.  A lot of pickled eggs are sour IMO but the sugar in this recipe seems to counter that.

BTW, I like the addition of the jalepeno in a previous post!

Post Your Comment
12/15/16 @ 8:04 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
USER since 1/19/02

gunna put up  a batch this weekend i reckon!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 25 Posts