Pickled Eggs

10/17/14 @ 3:54 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Bazinga
Bazinga
USER since 8/22/10
Does anyone have a really good pickled egg recipe? We have 12 laying hens that are producing way more than we can eat. We made some with a recipe off the internet and they suck! Looking for a good tried and true recipe.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 36 Posts
2/21/17 @ 6:12 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I made two quarts about a month ago.  One jar is toast so I fired up another tonight.

Gotta have enough for the fishing opener with the hunting crew!

Post Your Comment
2/10/17 @ 7:59 AM
dsinwi
dsinwi
USER since 1/24/02
My son and I cracked the lid on the second batch of eggs this past Wed night. I believe that was 3 weeks if I'm not mistaken. They are delicious. Not as hot as I would like yet so I'll need to ramp it up as I go here. I may try cutting back on the sugar just a little. They won't last long when my vulture buddies stop over that's for sure.

Post Your Comment
2/4/17 @ 1:58 PM
arlo
arlo
USER since 9/29/02

Hopefully the last batch will last me till these are ready in 2 weeks

Post Your Comment
2/3/17 @ 1:35 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I'd try that recipe with the pickled beets.  I did a few quarts of beets last fall.

I fired up a batch of eggs with the recipe I posted a while back.  My wife laughs when she sees me taking off the cover and smelling them. Wednesday marks two weeks and then it's on!

Post Your Comment
2/3/17 @ 12:35 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06

I grew up in South Central PA and the only pickled eggs were called red beet eggs. We use vinegar, sugar, a few pickling spices, sliced onion, and sliced pickled beets. The eggs sit in the beet juice and are perfect at about 5 days. You want to have the egg whites red, and the yolk still yellow. Yum!!

If anyone wants the full recipe I would be happy to oblige in a message.

Jimmy

Post Your Comment
1/23/17 @ 7:52 AM
surf n turf
surf n turf
USER since 1/31/07

Yes the eggs are hard boiled.Lol

Post Your Comment
1/22/17 @ 1:02 PM
arlo
arlo
USER since 9/29/02

I went to Menard's of all places and found eggs for 58 cents a dozen, plus 11% refund. Bought 2 dozen for the next batch. I'm hooked on them !   Bugle-Trout your recipe rocks !!!

Post Your Comment
1/22/17 @ 10:30 AM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

Surf n turf....I would guess the eggs in your recipe are hard-boiled and peeled prior to pickling?  Don't mean to be picky, but someone on here would use raw eggs, unpeeled, I guarantee it.

Post Your Comment
1/21/17 @ 10:07 AM
missippimugs
missippimugs
USER since 9/14/16

The recipe below is great.  I just add a jar of beet juice.  Not the beets. Adds a little something.

Post Your Comment
1/21/17 @ 8:49 AM
surf n turf
surf n turf
USER since 1/31/07

Heres a recipe. Just ate the last of them. Pretty dam gd. 1 dz eggs, 2 cups vinegar, 1 jar sliced jalopenos including the juice.( 11 ounces), 1 onion finely chopped, 1/2 cup water, 1 T- tobasco, 1 T- salt. Boil all ingredients together for 10 min. Not the eggs. Let it cool. Put 6 eggs in each qt jar. I also sliced onions and added to each jar in between eggs. Pour brine over and let them sit in fridge. At least a wk, longer is better. I also spooned the jalopenos in each jar so they had equal amounts.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 36 Posts