Pickled Eggs

10/17/14 @ 3:54 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Bazinga
Bazinga
USER since 8/22/10
Does anyone have a really good pickled egg recipe? We have 12 laying hens that are producing way more than we can eat. We made some with a recipe off the internet and they suck! Looking for a good tried and true recipe.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 44 Posts
10/16/17 @ 6:01 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Pre-hunt jar of eggs were gone in an hour.  I have a request for 3 dozen for the gun season.  

Advantage: The deer!

Post Your Comment
9/24/17 @ 11:49 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Just did a dozen for pre-hunt, stand check weekend in the middle of October.

Post Your Comment
9/5/17 @ 6:56 PM
homewrecker
homewrecker
USER since 8/28/03

Mine cooled while I was peeling eggs.

Post Your Comment
9/4/17 @ 9:09 PM
6arrows
6arrows
USER since 8/30/17

Do you pour the hot brine over the eggs or let the brine cool?

Post Your Comment
6/25/17 @ 6:35 AM
homewrecker
homewrecker
USER since 8/28/03

Made my first batch can't wait. They will be ready for our 4th of July camping trip. Made one with the original recipe posted and added red pepper flakes and jalapeno peppers to a second jar.

Post Your Comment
3/6/17 @ 6:53 PM
dsinwi
dsinwi
USER since 1/24/02

My last batch was "done" SB weekend. They were good. I had a couple tonight as side with my KungPow chicken and they were excellent. I'm sure they can spoil like anything else but a month is better.... 

Post Your Comment
2/24/17 @ 7:23 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Don't rush it.  I posted a while ago that the eggs should soak a minimum of 2 weeks.  I tried one at exactly 2 weeks and it was OK.  I then waited another week and they were much, much better.  At a month, they are awesome.

I think you can safely pull them out of the frig at 2 weeks and store at room temp.  That was the whole point of pickling eggs back in the day.  Shelf stable at room temp.  I can't begin to estimate the number of pickled eggs that I ate at Chet's Friendly Bar in Point when I was in college and those were just on the shelf behind the bar.  And I'm still here!  The pickling would probably go faster at room temp.  I just have room in the beverage frig in the garage so that's where mine are.

Post Your Comment
2/23/17 @ 6:39 PM
zeplure
zeplure
MEMBER since 2/11/02

I am 6 days in and it is really hard not to dig in and have one. May need to form some kind of premature egg eating (PEE) support group.

Post Your Comment
2/21/17 @ 6:12 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

I made two quarts about a month ago.  One jar is toast so I fired up another tonight.

Gotta have enough for the fishing opener with the hunting crew!

Post Your Comment
2/10/17 @ 7:59 AM
dsinwi
dsinwi
USER since 1/24/02
My son and I cracked the lid on the second batch of eggs this past Wed night. I believe that was 3 weeks if I'm not mistaken. They are delicious. Not as hot as I would like yet so I'll need to ramp it up as I go here. I may try cutting back on the sugar just a little. They won't last long when my vulture buddies stop over that's for sure.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 44 Posts