SEARCH
MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Never Had Venison

7/19/18 @ 8:20 PM
INITIAL POST
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

Cooking a meal for the in-laws who've never eaten venison. I had planned on making a backstrap. There will be 5 people. What would everyone recommend for a good recipe for first timers?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts
8/24/18 @ 10:42 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

For anyone interested...the final product was a cast iron fried backstrap, with a red wine and mushroom sauce. Family loved it. One remarked it was better than beef tenderloin.

8/9/18 @ 9:10 PM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

I had a trial run yesterday just to try some of the suggestions here. We did a marinaded tenderloin with the primary ingredient being soy, also including lemon juice, garlic and sugar. You'd have to ask my wife for the exact recipe, she "winged" some of it.

Fried in cast iron pan until medium rare, rest 5 minutes and served. Delicious! And tasted like beef. I think we will be doing something similar for the family. I'd like to add a mushroom-red wine sauce to add some extra flavor.

Edit: These are all really great suggestions keep them coming!

8/9/18 @ 3:59 PM
Bowhunting Guy
User since 5/22/18

I really enjoy serving venison or other wild game to people who “don’t like the gamey taste of wild meat”. I never mention what the meat is until their plates are clean. Then I disclose that it was actually deer, antelope, bear, wild hog, etc.

I have two theories on the “gamey” taste people refer to. One is that it could be taste that develops from freezer burn. We all know someone who has a 4 year old roast in their freezer and gives it to someone who “wants to try venison”. Due to inexperience in cooking this delicate meat, most people over-cook the hell out of it which brings out a freezer burned liver flavor. 

My second theory is that people’s palates have become trained to appreciate McDonalds burgers and gas station burritos. They begin to believe that is truly what meat tastes like. Meat that is probably inferior to mid-grade dog food and supplemented with chemicals and preservatives. Who would want to eat a deer when you have these options?

My wife’s ears bleed when I get on my soap box about this, so pardon my rant. I simply appreciate and take pride in knowing where my meat comes from. 

8/5/18 @ 9:17 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

I cut the tenderloin cross grain into little chuncks.I usually let everyone know they are chowing on Bambi. Bacon wrapped tenderloin pegged with a toothpick, grilled with mesquite charcoal presents a small piece they can try. Then the pieces just seem to disappear. Scorch the bacon and leave a pink center

7/27/18 @ 11:03 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Been doing this with backstraps for years and everyone loves it. Leave backstrap whole, trim off fat and silver skin, spread minced garlic from a jar over entire piece, sprinkle with Montreal Steak Seasoning then wrap in bacon and refrigerate a couple hrs. Charcoal grill works best here but gas will do. Depending on size of backstrap grill on the first side 9-12min, flip and do the 2nd side for 5-7min, let rest for 5 min, slice and enjoy!  Do not overcook!

7/27/18 @ 9:09 PM
Lastcastmaybeknot
User since 4/20/16

I usually mix my own rubs and seasonings but for those who don't.   Larwrys herb and garlic marinade is the ticket.     If you can use it on wood duck k breast cook it to rare on a campfire and find someone who doesn't like it I'd bet it's because u told them it was duck 

7/27/18 @ 5:08 PM
CatfishHunter47
CatfishHunter47
User since 1/16/07

Kind of off track but relates to the cooking of venison.

I acquired a sous vide cooking device a year ago and it has done an excellent job cooking wild game.  Super tender and evenly cooked through in and out.  Just have to sear everything on a cast pan or on the grill to at a little burnt edge to it.

7/27/18 @ 11:36 AM
fltlndr
User since 12/25/02

I marinate the butterfly chops for 6 hours to over night in french dressing. Gives them a good flavor.

7/27/18 @ 10:50 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I have not marinaded any backstrap to date, but I have mixed up some melted butter, soy sauce, and brown sugar for a mopping sauce to brush on while it's grilling.  It doesn't really permeate the meat too much, but it does give the outside a nice sweet crust. I really like it, but for whatever reason my wife and daughter don't. They're fine with salt and pepper.

Has anyone just used a can of coke with nothing else as a marinade? Or like a coke/brown sugar mix?  I like the sweetness of what I do, but think they'd cook better if I wasn't constantly opening the lid to brush it on. 

7/24/18 @ 3:48 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Scooter,

I'm going to try a little 7 up next time.

The only reason I marinate it that long or longer is, I can do it up the night before, throw it in the fridge and if I have work, fish or hunting the next day I don't have to prep mid day. Get home fire up the grill or smoker and cook for less than 2 hrs and ready to eat.

I found no difference from a 4hr to 12hr + marinate time either

7/22/18 @ 9:25 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

I butcher my own deer and turn everything (backstraps and hindquarters) that would normally be cut into steaks into fist sized chunks. I figure if I want steaks, I can cut them into steaks before I cook it. A vast majority of the time I take those fist sized pcs and season them with salt, pepper, garlic powder, rosemary and thyme. Place it in a ziplock overnight or even a day or two. Then hot smoke it with indirect heat at 250* until the internal temp is in the low 130*s. Tent in foil for 10-20 mins. It comes out med rare from the outside to the center. It is damn good. Leftovers sliced as thin as possible on a pretzel or rye roll with Swiss cheese and horseradish is excellent as well.

I also do nearly the exact same thing with wild turkey breasts. Only difference is to cook it to 148-150*. Tent in foil for 20 mins. 

7/22/18 @ 8:26 PM
--Scooter--
User since 8/8/09

Edge, 

i do do pretty much the same but I mix it with a can of Dr. Pepper or 7 Up or Coke in a big bowl and add the venison. This adds a certain sweetness you can't get from adding anything else. I had marinated it for 2-4 hours. Never made much of a difference leaving it in for any longer than 4 hours or over night. Works great with the "football" roast of the deer. 

7/21/18 @ 9:57 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

I'd go with one of the marinade recommendations. I use pretty much the same marinade as the first post and it turns out great every time. The gamey taste can be a little overwhelming to someone who has never had it before, wouldn't want to ruin the experience for them their first time trying it.

I'll definitely be trying the butterflied method with cheese and bacon though, that sounds delicious!

7/21/18 @ 8:07 AM
ayeFeesh
User since 5/17/11

Both the brine and butterfly methods sound interesting. 

Personally the cubed and fried sounds great, but I think I'll have to wait till their gone to try that one.

7/20/18 @ 7:58 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

The deer I‘ve Harvested for the last 30+ years have come from my uncle’s farm.  They dine on alfalfa, soy beans and corn.  The livestock are jealous.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE