Master Built Smoker from Fleet Farm

4/15/16 @ 8:41 PM
ORIGINAL POST
dodger
dodger
MEMBER since 9/3/01
My bride bought me a Master Built 30" Electric Smoker. (not the one on sale but the one up from that one, because it had the cover, sausage and rib rack) I have smoker whitebass on an old Big Chief smoker with great success. I'm looking for some help with other items I can smoke on the new smoker. How long do I smoke, brine and what temperature. I have a 4 lb. boneless pork tenderloin in the refrigerator. I can't wait to try smoking it. Hey, I'll even share with you and have a cold beer to go with. Thanks !
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 21 Posts
1/30/18 @ 7:58 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
USER since 1/22/15

I use my smoker for meat and fish and cheese and vegetables 

Post Your Comment
1/30/18 @ 5:57 PM
duckeyes
duckeyes
USER since 12/17/08

I'm new at this. I got the same smoker for christmas this year. I heard that you should not use the same smoker for fish and meat. Any truth to this.

thanks,

Post Your Comment
9/5/17 @ 2:40 PM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

I posted this on the smoking thread, but it fits better here.  I have the 30" digital, 13 months old now, and the water bowl just developed 2 rust holes.  Likely caused from not cleaning the bowl enough, sometimes leaving water in it for a few days.  Anyway, they want $50 for a new bowl.  It's a stamped pot-metal pan...lot of money for a little cheap part.  If I could weld, it would be an easy fix...I guess I'll line it with foil now.  Too cheap to buy a new one (at least for $50).  Might also look for an aluminum foil bowl at the grocery to set on the floor of the smoker...maybe that will work?

Anyone else use a different type of bowl/pan for water in this unit?

Post Your Comment
5/1/17 @ 9:35 PM
double lung
double lung
USER since 1/9/09

I wrote a good review on this smoker about a year ago. Well, this weekend went to plug it in and it would beep but not turn on. Had to take off the digital temp and timer on top and giggle the wires around to turn it on. Had it for about a year and a half and used it maybe 15 times. Haven't called the factory yet, but you'd think you would get a lot more use for it before problems like this. 

Post Your Comment
5/1/17 @ 6:25 AM
Dan E
Dan E
USER since 4/29/17

I have the big, glass front masterbuilt as well. Really pleased with it for ease of use. Only thing I can add here is that I like heavy smoke on some items and just purchased the A Maze Ing smoke tray (for pellets).  Fits like a glove in bottom left corner of the unit. Works incredible and I don't need to even add wood ,,, ever. Set the temp and walk away. Such a huge improvement. 

Post Your Comment
9/29/16 @ 4:43 AM
zeplure
zeplure
USER since 2/11/02

12 pack, I noticed the same thing. I also cut in extra vents because there wasn't enough flow of smoke. The meat would have the bitter dirty smoke taste. 

Post Your Comment
9/2/16 @ 7:49 AM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

My wife just got me the 30" digital electric Masterbuilt last week.  First thing I noticed is the drip deflector funnels all of the drippings directly in to the water pan.  You should NEVER have drippings go in to the water pan, otherwise the water will not evaporate, and it can cause sharp, acrid flavors.

Anyone else with the Masterbuilt notice this design flaw?  Anyone have a fix?  Gotta figure out how to re-fabricate the internal parts to fix this elemental error.

Regards to adding anything but water to the water pan, don't bother....nothing you add to the pan will do anything to impart flavor to any smoked meats.  It only will make the smoke smell better coming off the machine.

Post Your Comment
5/27/16 @ 10:14 PM
Tim Zwieg
Zwiegs
USER since 1/10/12

Pulled pork is awesome. Buy a pork button or shoulder, season with seasoning  of choice  in fridge over night. Smoke at about 210-225 temp. Pull pork off smoker at 195 internal temp. Pull meat  with two forks. I use Von Hansens seasoning.

Post Your Comment
5/8/16 @ 9:08 PM
dodger
dodger
MEMBER since 9/3/01

Here is my fish smoking experience 

DAVE'S BRINE(I found this recipe in Dad's things after he passed away )

3 cups of brown sugar

3 Tbs Peppercorns ( Ground )

4 Bay leaves Crushed

3 Tbs Whole Cloves ( Crushed )

1 Tbs Thyme

Boil 2 gallons of water for 5 minutes, add ingredients, ( Cool )

Add 4 cups of pickling salt

Stir until salt is dissolved

Soaked 16 White Bass for 12 hours in our extra refrigerator set at 34 degrees in a clean white 4 gallon bucket without a lid. 

Rinse the fish thoroughly.

I set the smoker to 200 degrees and 3 hours on the timer with Apple wood. Hung the fish by the jaws with a S hook giving enough space between fish. 

The fish were done thoroughly and the taste was amazing. Can't think of anything better than sharing some fish and a cold beer.

Edited on 5/13/16 6:43 AM
Post Your Comment
5/6/16 @ 9:01 PM
dodger
dodger
MEMBER since 9/3/01

I have smoked whitebass in a Big Chief smoker in the past. I have 40 going into the smoker on Sunday. It has always gone well, I can't wait to share pictures next week.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 21 Posts