home made kraut

7/8/14 @ 10:55 AM
ORIGINAL POST
jiffysteve
jiffysteve
USER since 1/14/08
I can't wait to start a new batch of kraut,anybody make their own? Beats the heck out of the store bought crap.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts
6/26/17 @ 8:50 AM
Fish-see22
Fish-see22
USER since 6/21/17

Do you guys have some other tips for storing home made kraut?

Post Your Comment
3/2/17 @ 12:38 PM
zeplure
zeplure
MEMBER since 2/11/02

Made a batch last fall. I like it with a touch of Caraway and some shredded carrots mixed in.  

Post Your Comment
2/28/17 @ 1:50 PM
wini
wini
USER since 3/27/06

Just found this relatively old post. I make my own, but I use one large 2-3 gallon container-easier to do. I let ferment for 1-3 months. If you want to win converts to sauerkraut,  when done fermenting , change it to Bavarian  style. Bacon pieces, sherry, brown sugar, carrots, dried mushrooms etc. More tender and a little sweeter. Purests might object, but my family and friends love it. Lots of recipes on internet. I do not can, but it freezes very well.

Edited on 2/28/17 1:54 PM
Post Your Comment
10/15/14 @ 4:56 PM
ThreeFiftySeven
ThreeFiftySeven
USER since 3/14/03
Great advice for anyone with muscle issues Casting...thanks. The kraut is not the recipe from my relatives, but close enough. Pound that salted cabbage with your fist if needed (get down and dirty with it until the salt is evenly distributed) and have an extra jar or 2 on hand depending on the size of the cabbage heads. I suppose be a little gentler with the cabbage if you're looking to keep somewhat of a crunch...

Post Your Comment
10/15/14 @ 2:12 AM
ThreeFiftySeven
ThreeFiftySeven
USER since 3/14/03
Ended up with 5 wide mouth quarts...don't fill jars over the shoulders and try to use a heavy weight in the smaller packing jar. A plate or something to catch possible overflow during fermentation may be a good idea. It's all good except this shoulder that's keeping me up all night. Ugh

Post Your Comment
10/14/14 @ 3:34 PM
ThreeFiftySeven
ThreeFiftySeven
USER since 3/14/03
Lasts for months btw...

Post Your Comment
10/14/14 @ 3:30 PM
ThreeFiftySeven
ThreeFiftySeven
USER since 3/14/03
Ill be making 4 quarts tonight in mason jars. 1 medium head of cabbage per quart, 1 1/2Tbsp of Kosher salt per quart. Slice the cabbage, throw it in a large bowl, add correct salt and massage/squeeze it into the cabbage for 5-10min (I'll add some caraway seed now), pack the salted cabbage into the mason jars and take a smaller sterile jar with weight inside and place it into/over the larger jars to pack it down. For the next 24hrs, push down on the smaller jar to pack every few hrs (when you have time). If the liquid hasn't risen above the cabbage after 24hrs (it should), dissolve 1tsp salt in warm water and let cool down to cover the cabbage completely. Next, just throw some cheesecloth or other breathable cloth over the jars and rubber band shut. Store in a dark cool place and start tasting after 3-4 days. When it reaches the desired taste, remove cloth and put the regular screw on lid over the jars and refrigerate. Quick and simple...ENJOY!

Post Your Comment
7/27/14 @ 4:07 PM
swamp people
swamp people
USER since 5/14/12
never tried this, i would like too, anyone have a recipe to share, i also will check the internet thanks

Post Your Comment
7/22/14 @ 12:01 PM
RiverGuy
RiverGuy
USER since 6/20/03
I've had fishhooks kraut and it's excellent. Baggs also makes a great kraut have had that on brats too.

Post Your Comment
7/8/14 @ 11:57 PM
ThreeFiftySeven
ThreeFiftySeven
USER since 3/14/03
I've watched family do this for years...chalk it up to one more "must do" this year! Never thought about spicing it up like that....awsome!!

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 15 Posts