Hanging Smoked Summer Sausage

3/20/14 @ 9:59 AM
ORIGINAL POST
fishinfool1
fishinfool1
USER since 3/14/10
I recently picked up my summer sausage from the processor. It is good but a little soft for my liking. Did any of you out there ever hang your summer to let dry out and firm up. Can this be done and if so how do you do it. Someone told me to hang it in a cool basement but not in the fridge. He said that after a few weeks of hanging the summer, it will shrink a little and that you have better summer sausage. Anybody ever try this, is this safe and did it work.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
4/27/14 @ 9:55 AM
Bazinga
Bazinga
USER since 8/22/10
Commercial sausage makers have amazing smokers. Some have humidity controls and can steam to finish the sausage. Have you ever noticed most commercial sausage has no rind (that's the little tough edge). Most likely from steaming or hot water bathing to finish. You can look these big smokers up on the net to see all they can do. I finish all of mine in the smoker and they always come out perfect, not to wet or dry. The convection fan I added to my new smoker cuts the time by 4/6 hours.

Post Your Comment
3/26/14 @ 7:17 PM
Hudson Hawk
Hudson Hawk
USER since 2/19/07
I always put mine on the bottom of the frig on news paper for a week or two whether I make my own or get it made. It really firms it up to where I want it. I like it when there is a dry hard ring around it. Yum yum

Wishing, at the meat market they weigh your meat up when they received it and not when they are done smoking it so it doesn't matter how much water they add. You pay for what you bring in and not the finish product.

Post Your Comment
3/25/14 @ 11:19 AM
eyesman
eyesman
USER since 1/7/02
As was stated that soft sausage has too much water added and then not properly dried during smoking process. Hanging at 40 degrees or colder but not froze will dry it down. A fridge will work as well. When making my own I hang in the cold garage for a few days and then vac-seal and freeze.

Post Your Comment
3/21/14 @ 8:59 PM
ronny g
ronny g
USER since 6/3/02
I always hang the the sausage in the basement for a week or 2. Firms it up ...plus the basement smells great for weeks!!!

Post Your Comment
3/21/14 @ 8:51 PM
gobbler
gobbler
MEMBER since 6/30/01
This is what house of homemade sausage told me and they make the best sausage around.hang until you v get the texture you like then freeze it or you can freeze right away,Unthaw hang till texture you like and enjoy.to freeze double wrap in newspaper.works great done this many years.

Post Your Comment
3/20/14 @ 11:53 AM
wishin4fishin
wishin4fishin
USER since 7/3/06
I've made a ton of summer sausage myself and mines never soft. The reason it's soft is because they are adding to much water and it never gets a chance to evaporate. You're paying for water and I would find another processor. Your refrigerator will take the moisture out as well, or hang them in your garage it should be plenty cold right now.

Post Your Comment