Ground venison with beef fat

11/11/14 @ 1:34 PM
ORIGINAL POST
ditto
ditto
USER since 12/6/10
I've never added any beef fat to my ground venison but recently bought a grinder and would like to give it a try. How does one do this? Obviously they can't be ground different or they wouldn't mix together. Do you try to cut the fat into thin strips and put it and the venison through the grinder at the same time?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 21 Posts
10/26/15 @ 9:20 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
USER since 1/22/15
And if you don't have grinder and wanna give it a try. Bring meat & beer. I'll have some beer. I'll supply grinder

Post Your Comment
10/26/15 @ 9:16 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
USER since 1/22/15
Have had both. Like both pork and beef. If you don't have your own grinder. Invest in one. We'll worth it. Experiment with both. Find what you like. Make your own sausage and have fun. Good beer drinking activity with a buddy.

Post Your Comment
10/26/15 @ 8:57 PM
haf2fsh
haf2fsh
MEMBER since 6/23/01
I mix mine with pork sausage about 4 to 1 and regrind. It's excellant, been doing it for years.

Post Your Comment
10/26/15 @ 1:09 PM
ZTates
ZTates
USER since 5/23/08
I did mine last year with bacon. Around a 3-1 venison to bacon mixture. So far I've used it to make meatloaf and burgers and in each case I was happy with the results. At first I was worried that I'd end up with just a big pile of something that tasted like ground bacon but really it didn't over power the venny.

Post Your Comment
10/25/15 @ 6:50 PM
crawdaddy
crawdaddy
USER since 7/11/01
My buddy turned me on to what he calls "bronto burgers". 60% venison, 30% beef, 10% bacon. I like the idea of just using pork, but I really love this mixture.

Post Your Comment
11/30/14 @ 7:36 PM
Higgs
Higgs
USER since 1/14/13
We do the beef fat. Taste better. Never been a pork fan.

Post Your Comment
11/21/14 @ 10:39 AM
dsinwi
dsinwi
USER since 1/24/02
I grind two pork shoulders with every deer. Works out great. Not a fan of straight gorund venison but I can eat a burger ground this way.

Post Your Comment
11/12/14 @ 9:44 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06
http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm

Post Your Comment
11/12/14 @ 9:44 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06
Also, if anyone is looking for new or different sausage recipes, check out Let Poli's website. An unreal amount of sausages and we have liked every one we have tried. The liver sausage was amazing. It's a shady looking Web address but I promise it is legit.

Post Your Comment
11/12/14 @ 9:40 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06
Beef fat is considered a "harder" fat than pork and may not give you the juiciness that pork gives. If you go by the "rules" of sausage making, it should be minimum of 30% fat. I mix pork with all my venison so the pork butt gives it most of the fat it needs and I generally only have to add 10% more fat. If you know someone that is getting a pig butchered and the don't make sausage, ask if you can have the fat. Many times the processor keeps the fat for themselves unless it is asked for. We got about 30 pounds of fat from our neighbor this way. Vac sealed into smaller packs and frozen keeps it for a long time. The fat in ground beef is usually just the fat that is associated with what ever is being ground. Beef tallow and pork back fat are the excess fat off of the carcass. You can ask any Butcher for back fat and the will usually sell it for less than a dollar a pound but the may be a little reluctant thus time of year knowing they will be making a lot of sausage in the next few weeks.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 21 Posts