MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Cooking Frozen Fish

11/4/18 @ 8:20 AM
INITIAL POST
Smallie Chaser
Smallie Chaser
PRO MEMBER User since 7/13/01

I breaded and froze some perch fillets. Now I want to bake them. Should I thaw them out first, or can I just put them in the oven frozen? Not sure how they will turn out.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts
12/18/18 @ 12:09 AM
alcrumpler
User since 7/19/09

Egg an ritz crackers crushed or egg an captain crunch crushed up or good ol shore lunch

12/16/18 @ 9:21 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Don’s Chuck Wagon batter, which I’ve only ever seen in Pick-N- Save. Mix batter with your liquid of choice (water or beer), add 1/2 a jar of grated Parmesan cheese and mix well. Dip fish to coat and drop in the deep fryer til golden! Nothing but compliments when I make my fish this way! I do also like Shorelunch and have never tried Andy’s, I’ll have to check that out. 

12/16/18 @ 3:50 PM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01

Dust in zatarains dip in egg,milk and then roll in Italian bread crumbs,deep fry. I alays let the drip on newspaper told it soaks up an residual oil

12/13/18 @ 9:32 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Marsh man you ok?

12/13/18 @ 5:38 PM
Marsh Man 2
User since 9/20/10

truly deeply love crushed cornflakes (no sugar coated so skip tony the tiger). Grind them up fine!

Dip fish in flour with black pepper, then egg and finally crushed cornflakes. By dipping in the flour first gives the egg something to grab onto which provides a great coating of cornflakes. Can't beat it!

12/12/18 @ 8:57 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Check Festival Foods for Golden Dipt.  I think I’ve seen it there.

12/12/18 @ 4:05 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Shorelunch and Andys are fine, but my #1 is Golden Dipt.  I have trouble finding it though.  Walmart has one under McCormick in a box but I usually get the 5 lb white bag that doesn't say anything about McCormick on it.  Not sure if its the same thing or not.  

12/12/18 @ 1:36 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

I’ve done this many times with perch and walleye and deep fried them at 350o.  No problem.         CARPIO 

12/12/18 @ 10:49 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

I always have used my own combo of flour, crushed saltines, season salt, and maybe another seasoning that varies based on my mood.  I soak fillets in a mixture of beer and milk for 15-20 minutes.  I always use a "good" beer for this.  

12/11/18 @ 9:34 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I like Andy’s. It’s got a great cornmeal texture and I like the spice.  I hadn’t had Shorelunch for years until I was in Canada last year.  I forgot how great that stuff is but you have to have a hot fryer of oil or it will be greasy.  I change up my breading and beer batters regularly so as not to get tiered of any of them. I even fall back on our old college recipe of crushed soda crackers and Old Bay seasoning. Still a great way to bread fish.

12/11/18 @ 2:24 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I'll add another vote for Andy's. We bought a bag on a whim since that's my name and tried it and now refuse to go back to anything else. We think the seasoning is fantastic. 

12/11/18 @ 2:11 PM
HotPockeT
User since 3/18/11

I'm not sure. I've only been using it for a few years. All I know is between family and friends it's always the winner, and now they all use it to. Lol

12/11/18 @ 1:43 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

When Andy’s breading was first available I tried it a few times. The seasonings in it were so strong and overbearing I threw out most of it. Those seasonings masked any flavor the fish had. Have they improved that since?

12/11/18 @ 11:41 AM
HotPockeT
User since 3/18/11

Dang it now I want some right meow!! 

12/11/18 @ 10:54 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Hotpocket - I 100% agree! I'm still a fan of shore lunch, but Andy's is my go to. I combine a pack of Andy's yellow, a pack of Andy's red and 1/3 - 1/2 a bag of Andy's Cajun. By far my favorite combination for a fish fry. I also don't use eggs or milk and I'll even pat try the fillets a bit. The breading crisps up nicely every time.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE