Cast iron dutch oven

10/3/18 @ 12:33 PM
ORIGINAL POST
dsinwi
dsinwi
USER since 1/24/02

I recently acquired a DO. It appears to be an Ozark brand and was never used by the looks of it. It has a rough finish to it I don't care for but am interested in learning more about this type of cooking. I have cast frying pans and am familiar with the cooking and care of those.

So far I've done a couple simple desserts in it, apple\cake mix, on a resent camping trip using coals from the camp fire. They turned out good and everyone seemed to enjoy them.

I'd like to do a stew or perhaps a roast in one at the cabin this fall. What have you cooked in yours and how did you do it?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 Posts
TODAY @ 1:50 PM
dsinwi
dsinwi
USER since 1/24/02

PP

That sounds really goo actually. Will have to give it a try.

Post Your Comment
11/6/18 @ 7:02 AM
Paddle Power
Paddle Power
USER since 1/6/17

My wife will make beef stew or a venison stew in ours but she will finish it off by placing biscuits, like the Pillsbury Grands, on top of the stew then replace the cover and let them form a crust like a pot pie. Not really a game changer but different non the less, and delicious of course.

Post Your Comment
11/5/18 @ 11:10 PM
crawdaddy
crawdaddy
USER since 7/11/01

All sorts of cobbler.  Love peach cobbler.  But, cherry and blueberry are pretty good too.  Have made roast chicken, pork roast, usually add some carrots, celery, onion, etc. 

Post Your Comment
10/3/18 @ 7:33 PM
Edge
Edge
USER since 2/28/07

The best cornbread you ever had. 

Post Your Comment
10/3/18 @ 5:36 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

We made this once.  Turned out tender and tasty...

Post Your Comment