Canned Venison

10/24/15 @ 8:29 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Duck Dodger
Duck Dodger
USER since 11/5/09
I know a lot of people that can venison for later use. Figured we could start a thread to discuss what everyone does to it for canning and how they use it after. Most of the time I just heat it up and cover noodles or rice. Wondering if anyone has recipes that I could use it in a crock pot to feed a mess of people. At this point I'm thinking stew or chili but hoping others have some different ideas and suggestions.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 24 Posts
1/17/17 @ 1:37 AM
1/16/17 @ 3:52 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

Reeldrag,

I did a couple of jars of BBQ beef the last time I fired up the pressure canner.  It was great.  Do you brown your meat cubes before canning or do you just cold pack with the onions, garlic & sauce?  I cold packed with good results.

Didn't get a deer this year but I troll the bargain bin at the grocery store for meat that's about to exceed its Sell Date.  Good cheap way of getting meat for canning.

Post Your Comment
1/5/16 @ 6:12 PM
Todd Young
Todd Young
USER since 6/25/15
muskrat, sounds like you got some bad vennie or maybe you had more than a couple brews. HaHa!

Muddy Creek Fishing Guides
(724) 674-3839
Post Your Comment
1/3/16 @ 3:34 PM
muskrat30
muskrat30
USER since 10/14/01
Don't you normally need a pot close at hand 24 hours after eating that canned venny? It seems it could cause havoc with the bowels, especially if washed down with a few beers.

There was that time I ate to much venison chili before a deer hunt. It cost me about 30 minutes under a Hemlock tree in the swamp. I happened to have my coveralls on with about 6" of snow on the ground.

Post Your Comment
1/3/16 @ 1:45 PM
Todd Young
Todd Young
USER since 6/25/15
Have a jar planned for dinner tomorrow night. It does take a lot of prep work ie. Cubeing and pressure cooking but it is well worth it. Ended up doing 28 quarts this season and by late summer the family will wish I did more.

(724) 674-3839
Post Your Comment
1/3/16 @ 1:02 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
USER since 5/29/06
Holy crap this stuff I'd good, wish I would have tried it a long time ago. I'll use a little less better than bullion next time but otherwise it was amazing.

Post Your Comment
12/3/15 @ 4:36 PM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
I do both but for ice fishing bunny hunting ect I like to add before canning so I can just grab Coleman stove and buns and a couple jars we off to the races. There is so much that can be done with canned venni. I'm working on a new thing 2 qt jar 1 lb venison rest hen of woods mushrooms and brown gravy. Trying to make a jar that can be poared over mashed taters or rice. Not perfect yet but close.

Post Your Comment
12/3/15 @ 3:42 PM
Todd Young
Todd Young
USER since 6/25/15
reeldrag are you putting the bbq mixture in before you pressure cook it? I have always done just plain meat and add what ever I want when we use it.

(724) 674-3839
Post Your Comment
11/26/15 @ 6:44 AM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
USER since 12/20/12
Season not over yet but I have a half of deer from a buddy from bow season that is set aside for canning and the buck I shot on Sunday is getting canned other then back straps and the rear quarters everything else is going in jars. I just love canned venison. Most of it I do plain. But always a few jars with onion and garlic. But do about 10 jars with bbq sauce for ice fishing. It's the best pulled bbq sandwich you ever had. Chop onions very fine meat cut into cubes fresh crushed garlic about 1/4 cup of bbq sauce I prefer sweet baby rays raspberry and chipotle. Just awesome ice fishing on puck Coleman stove going the smell of bbq veni crown royal over lake ice doesn't get any better my friends!

Post Your Comment
11/24/15 @ 7:08 PM
Todd Young
Todd Young
USER since 6/25/15
Just finished up my first batch of the season. A friend just got home from IL with a nice buck and we got him processed. 14 quarts canned and about 20 pounds of ground meat.

(724) 674-3839
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 24 Posts