BBQ and Grilling

9/8/12 @ 9:43 AM
ORIGINAL POST
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01
I found a really neat BBQ shop down in Golden about a year ago, I understand they have been there for a few years prior. They have everything, rubs, spices, woods for smoking, grills, smokers, and tools. I love going there. There also have an education series where they bring in experts to teach. This afternoon / evening I am going down for their "Big 4" class; Chicken, Ribs, Brisket and Butt.. Really looking forward to it.. http://www.outdoorcooker.com/
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 79 Posts
9/5/18 @ 8:12 PM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

The post-cook "Cambrio" is essential, IMO.  It has always done wonders for my briskets.  I did a 5 lb flat weekend before last (small) and I kept it in a cooler as described and it was still smoking hot after 4-1/2 hours.  Great brisket, no bark though.  I'm convinced the cooler wrap period continues the breakdown of muscle tissues and sinew.

I stopped spritzing anything about a year ago.  Wrap the butts and briskets at 155F.

Now if I pop for a real smoker, I know the spritzing adds to bark, and I might have to change my ways...

Post Your Comment
9/5/18 @ 1:49 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01

I always do the foil and towel rap on Briskets, and place them in a cooler for a couple hours when they are finished smoking.. “faux Cambro”.. to rest it before serving.

I will use the Texas Crutch if I have time constraints, if time is not an issuer I prefer not to wrap it to get through the stall as I enjoy the "bark" formed when doing it naked.

Edited on 9/5/18 10:52 PM
Post Your Comment
9/5/18 @ 8:39 AM
kona77
kona77
USER since 6/20/13

12Pack- I never stepped a foot in a Costco store until I bought my smoker 2 years ago. They used to have "prime" grade for $2.99lb but that price has gone up the last year ($3.99/lb on my last visit) . You may want to check out Walmart if there is one in your area. Closest Walmart to me has "choice" full packers for $3.49lb. Big difference from what most local butcher shops can sell briskets for. Savings on a 15-20lb chunk of meat is pretty substantial.

The stall can be frustrating but it is just one of the variables I have learned to live with on briskets and butts. I usually plan a full 18 hours from smoke to table on full packer briskets. Have had briskets wrapped for up to 6 hours (foil and old beach towel) when they have finished earlier than expected.

Post Your Comment
9/4/18 @ 8:44 PM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

My local "high-end" butcher carries only "Select" grade briskets.  Full packer briskets, but only select.  Charges $6.50/lb too.  I kills me that Costco has "Prime" briskets.  I've never seen a prime brisket, and I've read that 99.9% of prime briskets are not available retail....they all go to wholesale markets (restaurants).

Closest Costco to me is an hour....too far for me to drive, then pay them for the privilege of spending money in their store.

I find most "Stalls" on even small brisket flats can extend your smoke by 4-5 hours.  I lost patience and I now wrap them when they hit 155F.  I have no idea how those professional smokers can spritz a brisket and ever get it to power through the stall (spritzing adds moisture, which cools surface temp significantly, like sweating).

I use an electric smoker anyway, so there is never much bark...(wrapping at 155 eliminates the formation of bark over the last 50 degrees).

Never heard of Waygu brisket.  I might have to hop on the next UAL flight from MSN and drop in unannounced....

Post Your Comment
9/4/18 @ 12:36 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01

Thanks 12pack.. I have many a electronic gadget... Some I have even made myself !..

It is amazing the cook time variance.. and the "stall" can be maddening..

I was unaware that Costco had all those various cuts of meats available.. It is over an hour drive for me but might be worth considering..

Edited on 9/4/18 12:40 PM
Post Your Comment
9/4/18 @ 10:05 AM
kona77
kona77
USER since 6/20/13

Good points from 12pack on the various smoke times you can get from different briskets, butts etc.. Most recommendations for Briskets (assuming you smoke at 225-235) is to calculate 1 to 1.5 hours per pound.  The brisket I smoked yesterday took 18.5 hours while the two previous briskets (same size) only took 13-14 hours. 

My smoker has a built in temp/box control and I run a meat thermometer thru the smoke exhaust port. Really nice tools to give you an exact temp reading. Sure beats opening the door to check the meat manually and lose all the internal moisture and heat. When smoking a full packer some folks will run a meat thermomoter to the flat and another to the point. I just always monitor the point and find that 195 is the magic number. I always wrap in foil and lest rest for 1-2 hours before serving (same on butts). This rest period does make a difference. 

Post Your Comment
9/4/18 @ 4:52 AM
12packabs
12packabs
USER since 12/19/06

Dave,

If you don't already have one, get a Thermoworks digital meat thermometer.  Cord is long enough to run from the probe in the meat and small enough to seal in the smoker's door.  Thermometer is the best (and only) way to ensure proper smoking.

I've had briskets take as little as 14 hours and as much as 24 hours.

If you can, get a two-probe unit, one probe for the meat, one for the ambient air temp of your smoker.  I learned my smoker tells me its at 275F when in fact it is at only 220F.  Makes a BIG difference.  Even better to get a 3-probe unit and place meat probes in two different portions of your brisket.

Good luck...and tell the lawyers that you support capitol punishment...should get you off jury duty if you are chosen for a trial.

Post Your Comment
9/3/18 @ 11:04 AM
kona77
kona77
USER since 6/20/13

Smoked a 15lb Prime grade brisket from Costco yesterday for a family event. Turned out great and it was the hit of the meal.  Everyone stated it was the best brisket they have had but I reminded them they tell me that everytime I smoke a brisket..

Have smoked several  briskets, ribs and pork butts (even smoked bear ribs) and now I want to try making some of my own bacon. I know Bugle Trout has a seperate thread on this topic and I am heading to Costco this week to look at pork bellies. Main reason we have our Costco membership is for their meat department. 

Post Your Comment
9/2/18 @ 1:41 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
MEMBER since 6/22/01

Going to stop at the Butcher today and get stuff for tomorrow and the rest of the week. I had originally planned to take off all week and work around the house. Got pegged for jury duty on Tuesday... 

Hopefully they settle and it is only a wasted Tuesday morning or nothing at all.. 

Edited on 9/2/18 1:42 PM
Post Your Comment
9/1/17 @ 12:41 PM
Formerly the big guy
Formerly the big guy
MEMBER since 10/3/11

Bought a Char Griller this spring. 1 side is gas and tne other side is charcol. Use the gas side mostly for brats, burgers and chicken. Charcol is reserved for steaks, chops, and pork steaks. Last night I bought 2 bone-in pork chops at Ski's in Point, marinated them in Lawery's steak and chop marinade. Started some lump charcol in the chimmey. After I poured it in the grill and closed the lid it took about 2 minutes to get over 400 drs. Only took 10-12 minutes to cook. Best chop I had all summer.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 79 Posts