fishing for pike in canada

1/5/16 @ 11:05 PM
ORIGINAL POST
narbars
narbars
USER since 4/24/13
I am going to Canada in may to fish for pike and walleye. Don't really fish for either one. looking for any advise I can get. line to use and possible lures I should get. thanks for any help.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 Posts
11/29/16 @ 11:51 AM
NRAguy
NRAguy
USER since 6/17/01

I've fished God's Lake (1978!) and more recently the English River system near Ear Falls Ont.  Red eye spoons were the ticket.... but to tell you the truth....an aluminum can with treble hooks could have worked well.  The northern fishing was nuts! 

Post Your Comment
11/25/16 @ 8:00 PM
tomasz20
tomasz20
USER since 11/25/16

where exactly are you going ?? Im a guide on Gods lake in Manitoba. I guide guests and fish for big pike and i suggest 30lbs braid minimum and big spoons and top waters and bucktail spinners. but it depends on where yu go but they should be shallow still. 

Post Your Comment
1/14/16 @ 1:20 PM
Timmothy A
Timmothy A
USER since 5/17/09
The depth to fish may depend on the water clarity. We go to Wabigoon, the water is a darker color, so we fish 1-5 ft deep in and around rocks, bars, weeds, points and bays and slay the pike on mid-sized inline spinners and spinner baits. Color does not seem to matter, orange, chartreuse and black all work equally well. Naturally we tangle with some muskies as well doing this/. 8-0 to 9-0 rods, 80# powerpro, single strand leaders. We just fish rock humps with live bait for eyes.

Post Your Comment
1/13/16 @ 10:42 PM
Todd Young
Todd Young
USER since 6/25/15
In line musky sized spinner baits are hard to beat. Pike can't resist them and in Canada should be an easy target. Fish the deep weed edges with larger lures to find the biggest pike.

Muddy Creek Fishing Guides
(724) 674-3839
Post Your Comment
1/9/16 @ 8:52 PM
JQuinn
JQuinn
USER since 1/9/16
I echo using a super line. I prefer fireline and nano.

With pike, go with what many call cheater lures... Lipless crank baits/ rattle traps. Have a range of sizes from 1/2 to 1 ounce. Even a 1 1/2 ounce larger trap is sometimes crazy effective.

I also echo using spoons. 3/4 ounce to 1.5 ounces.

I also love big stick baits like x-rap 12.

Good luck

Post Your Comment
1/6/16 @ 4:47 PM
lvtofish
lvtofish
USER since 2/2/05
depends on how much pressure the fish see. We do a fly in and use could get away with casting anchor rope and still catch fish. if it is a lake, like eagle lake, that sees plenty of fisherman, then lighter lines and flouro leaders become important.

another question on the northerns is to you want to have to battle the fish or just be able to horse them in.

I would use a 10lb diameter superline ( i like fireline).

I don't bother with a leader...that heavy of line won't get snapped or cut.

i like safety pin style spinner baits....you can work those through the thickest weeds.

spoons are good too.

I also really like zip lures...the bigger the better. work those and in deeper water and you will catch both northerns and walleyes.

Post Your Comment
1/6/16 @ 12:01 PM
eyeslayer007
eyeslayer007
USER since 1/27/14
moving baits on braid with a leader can't go wrong with the old spinner bait.

Post Your Comment