Do you catch more pike in open water or on the ice?

12/22/16 @ 11:22 PM
ORIGINAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02

3 tip ups with stationary minnows? Or, 1 lure flying around covering a lot of area? When do you catch more pike per time out? 

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts
1/19/17 @ 11:21 AM
Fish4Musky
Fish4Musky
USER since 6/18/13

I've never ice fished for them. So yeah...more open water lol. 

Post Your Comment
1/3/17 @ 1:55 PM
Publiclandhunter
Publiclandhunter
USER since 8/31/11

What big musky said, only I prefer to use perch and creek chubs.

Post Your Comment
1/3/17 @ 12:51 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04

"3 tip ups with stationary minnows? Or, 1 lure flying around covering a lot of area? When do you catch more pike per time out?"

Neither - dragging suckers for pike in summer on weed edges has produced huge numbers of fish for me in the past.  I mean like 30+ pike in a day type numbers.   I can outproduce an entire ice season in one good day open water.  

Post Your Comment
1/2/17 @ 6:34 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02

I'm going to lean towards open water after the slow start to ice this year. 3 trips. 14 hours total maybe.....1 pike. Other years are much better. Just a bad start for whatever reason. I think sometimes I see more pike caught ice fishing and get the feeling that it's "better" since it's easier to fish with a group of people or the kids and just lay out boards, and see more pike in a day caught. While in the boat, I'm often alone or with kids or others fishing pan fish or bass. So, ice fishing seems more "pikey" to me, but if I isolate apples to apples, just my pike fishing, hmmm....not sure. I do have a log I keep for fun, would be nice to analyze it deeper. 

Edited on 1/2/17 6:40 PM
Post Your Comment
12/28/16 @ 2:31 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
USER since 6/12/10

It really depends on the day, lake, or season.  I'd say I'm 50-50.  I've had days where I catch Pike one after another while casting and others when I don't get a strike.  I'd say I might be slightly more consistent on the ice chasing flags as it seems like I never have a day without at least a couple.

Post Your Comment
12/27/16 @ 9:02 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06

On the ice as this is the only time I chase them. Spring and fall is catfish and walleye time. Summers are spent either fishing pannies or trolling for salmon. I love to eat fish. All legal pike I get through the ice come home basically, which is about 4-8 an ice fishing season. They get fried or pickled depending on the mood.

Post Your Comment
12/26/16 @ 4:46 PM
NPike_Guy
NPike_Guy
USER since 8/25/08

Always done far better in open water casting, trolling, or drifting suckers. Running for flags is fun but the lack of mobility and the fact that the pike can be anywhere in the water column under the ice makes it way harder to dial in a good bite.

Post Your Comment
12/25/16 @ 10:31 PM
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02

The more I think on this...I'd have to say all things equal with 100 focus on pike- it's slightly winter. However, there are times on rivers or backwaters, ditches whatever where my summer average easily outpaces winter. But summer can be really tough for me on big lakes unless targeting the small shallow pike. 

Post Your Comment
12/25/16 @ 6:32 PM
jaybeeturtle
jaybeeturtle
USER since 3/17/06

Its pretty close for me, but prolly a bit better success on the ice

Post Your Comment
12/24/16 @ 7:10 PM
dux42
dux42
USER since 10/30/11
Through the ice for me, I target pike more in the winter  but I still feel I have better success in the winter also.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 14 Posts