Best and Worst Pike lures

4/2/11 @ 9:50 PM
ORIGINAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
USER since 4/2/02
Let's talk pike lures. What do you do well on? What do you feel is over-rated?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 98 Posts
7/12/15 @ 6:32 PM
wack'em & stack'em
wack'em & stack'em
USER since 3/13/10
Northern eat anything, best is shiners and smelt in the hard ice, spoons and blades in soft water

Post Your Comment
7/9/15 @ 12:00 PM
pike eyes
pike eyes
USER since 12/28/10
basic and cheap probably out fishes most. Pounded copper spoon. when they flutter through the water they are amazing

Post Your Comment
7/3/15 @ 3:54 AM
fisheswithU2
fisheswithU2
USER since 4/29/14
Ditto on the leader!

I find myself using different lures more than others every year. I always have certain staple baits like certain cranks and spinners but new lures to the market, different versions of lures I have, or lures I have used in the past but fell away from using them and then start again. My big one this year is plastics. Different jerks and straight baits I can Texas rig and use weightless have been my biggest producer. 75% of my fish have come on plastic this year which is really high. Most years it's maybe 25% for me. I think part of it is less active fish from being so cool at night. Before that we had all kinds of rain too.

Edited on 7/3/15 3:55 AM
Post Your Comment
7/1/15 @ 2:25 PM
JoeRye
JoeRye
USER since 4/24/14
I focus a lot on pike fishing in rivers. I have caught a ton of pike.

warmer months I go bladed...spinnerbaits or inline spinners. Inline spinners I make myself (5 to 7" long) and usually a #5 to #7 sized Colorado blade. Not a lot of options most Mepps are too small and Musky size inlines tend to be too big, so I build my own I could achieve various color patterns as some work better than others depending on the day and conditions. i tend to stick with more natural baitfish colors

colder months..late fall, early winter, winter, early spring, spring I tend to use floating or suspending stick baits in the 4" to 7" range. The colder the temps the slower I work them. Sometimes chromed flashy lures work better sometimes muted whites and pearls work better. Swim baits are good for colder months also, again stick with baitfish colors....

Now go get yourself some pike and always use appropriate leader for the fishes benefit.

Edited on 7/1/15 2:26 PM
Post Your Comment
6/24/15 @ 8:43 PM
Maashkinoozhe
Maashkinoozhe
USER since 6/18/15
The biggest floating rapala available is the bomb diggity

Post Your Comment
6/18/15 @ 9:15 PM
Willburr76
Willburr76
USER since 6/18/15
Best Bait for me has been a cheap 1/2 oz chartruose buzz bait. And Smithwick's Devils-horse. This year i had a big strike on Whopper Plopper 190 orange and black it actually wrecked the tail section of the bait. Oh and last but not least good old The Worm 6" black with red tail. Thats my go to bait if nothing else is working.

Post Your Comment
5/28/15 @ 8:46 PM
DOMINATOR
DOMINATOR
USER since 9/17/02
Work good on Muskies and walleyes too

Post Your Comment
5/28/15 @ 8:41 PM
DOMINATOR
DOMINATOR
USER since 9/17/02
Buck Perry spoonplugs and wire line

Post Your Comment
5/21/15 @ 11:08 AM
markrazzy
markrazzy
USER since 6/23/09
I thought real hard about trying to pull a flasher fly for pike. I mean, c'mon. The flasher has to bring them in; now would they hit the twirling fly...

Post Your Comment
5/19/15 @ 3:50 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
I can only think of one style bait I have not caught pike on and that would be a flasher and fly I use for salmon.

When it comes to pike, you just need a clean running bait in there strike zone

I think I might try trolling a flasher and fly on delevan this year to see what happens...

Edited on 5/19/15 3:53 PM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 98 Posts