MORE
Panfish Fishing

Unscented bait

5/21/19 @ 1:42 PM
INITIAL POST
Hrud
Hrud
User since 11/25/07

I'm going to be up in the Sylvania Wilderness next month and they have pretty strict regs when it comes to bait.  "Live bait, dead or preserved bait, organic or processed food or scented material may not be  used or possessed at any time..."

That being the case, what do you all recommend for panfish considering those limitations?

TIA,

Joe

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
5/28/19 @ 7:54 PM
Pontoonguy
User since 2/11/19

I would definitely try mini mites and the strips of Chino Bait on ice fishing jig

5/26/19 @ 9:02 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

There are some huge bass in some of those lakes. Many are so clear you wonder how much life the water can support. Still not all are short on fish. Casting a diving plug in a small side lake had hits from huge perch. The same rules apply in Quetico provincial Park, so I'm familiar with no-scent, no lead restrictions. Once we paddled into a lake just out of the park and did well on blugills using up bait we had before entering the park, then ate the fish camping in the park. We tried deep jigging spoons for lakers with no success. You'll figure it out . Have fun paddling and bring DEET; the black flies can be really bad in the spring.

5/24/19 @ 8:48 PM
crawdaddy
User since 7/11/01

I’ve caught thousands of bluegills on these.  I use a fly rod.  You can also use a bobber for weight and tie one 3’ behind it. Fun to see the fish hit.

5/23/19 @ 7:23 PM
SkiLLz4GiLLz
SkiLLz4GiLLz
User since 2/4/09

Small split shots and flies 

5/23/19 @ 1:06 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Don't forget it's barbless hooks too, which you probably already knew...

We did a trip there 2 summers ago in mid June and had zero luck with panfish, threw a lot of soft plastics (a lot of store bought plastics do have a scent on them which are technically not legal, but there are plenty that are scentless), spinners, rapalas and top-waters at them primarily. The water is so clear we saw a ton of HUGE bluegills and crappie and could get them to chase but not commit. Hope you have better luck than us.

Smallie fishing was unreal for us, some lakes we were catching them on every cast. Those lakes they weren't too big but we broke the 20" mark multiple times on the bigger lakes. I think all 4 of us in our group landed at least one over 20". Green yamamoto crayfish plastic out-fished any other bait by far.

Beautiful area, have fun!

5/21/19 @ 4:36 PM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

Check out the crafts and sewing dept at Walmart. All types and styles of ribbon tape and yarns can be found there. Pair it up with small ice fishing jigging spoons under a bobber --- you're now in business. 

5/21/19 @ 2:48 PM
Hrud
Hrud
User since 11/25/07

Thanks Shadling.  Any suggestions on types or brands?  I haven't fished much for panfish with plastics.

5/21/19 @ 2:05 PM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12
Sounds like your fine with regular plastics. Also hair jigs sound ok too.
Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE