status of bluegill spawn

6/7/14 @ 6:57 AM
ORIGINAL POST
land man
land man
USER since 9/12/06
Where in the state are the gills spawning right now? I don't just mean in the shallows, but actually bedding. I have not seen any beds yet in the Wausau area.
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts
7/13/14 @ 9:20 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
I can say that the Lakes I went to July 4th weekend and following week, the Gills have not went into their summer spawn yet. Oneida co. Water temp is not warm enough, and will not be anytime soon. I'm guessing Mid to end of August if the weather cooperates. This is just a small sampling of lakes in that area, and I realize some lakes may spawn earlier. Just not on the 4 or 5 lakes I am familiar with. When they start hitting, you will definately know it. Crappie were very active but didn't have any eggs. Every year we can't wait for the summer spawn.

Post Your Comment
7/11/14 @ 8:59 PM
TKfishes
TKfishes
USER since 8/23/09
I don't think its always the case that females are best to be kept...but in most cases it is. There is a few places I have managed to keep bullgills and not hurt size structure and population.

Post Your Comment
6/29/14 @ 5:19 PM
land man
land man
USER since 9/12/06
I was up in Mercer, and there are some gills still on the beds in the larger lakes.

Post Your Comment
6/29/14 @ 4:29 PM
denesox
denesox
USER since 2/1/06
For the good of the population, hit up the females and release the big males, big males are the most important fish in the system when it comes to gills Wink

Post Your Comment
6/23/14 @ 9:49 PM
TKfishes
TKfishes
USER since 8/23/09
This is the week to hit them males just starting to make beds on on most UP lakes

Post Your Comment
6/17/14 @ 12:35 PM
kyl_me
kyl_me
USER since 7/21/08
Lectro - Congrats on finding some on the lake! I was out Saturday from 5am until about noon and only found a few gills in 12 FOW, could not find any beds (active or otherwise). Warmest water I found was 69. Glad I pulled the boat out Saturday rather than Sunday...that wind was brutal Saturday night and Sunday! Saw one pontoon had broken free from one of its ties Sunday and going into the rocks. Looked like the owner or some neighbors got there to tie it back off.

Post Your Comment
6/16/14 @ 9:45 PM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
USER since 11/19/09
There were a few active beds on Lake Camelot. Don't know if this the beginning or the end.

Post Your Comment
6/16/14 @ 7:51 AM
land man
land man
USER since 9/12/06
I caught some males with hard milt still in them on a 1000 acre lake in Vilas county this past weekend. I think they are not done yet in Vilas, at least on the larger lakes.

Post Your Comment
6/16/14 @ 7:46 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
USER since 1/19/02
their done, imo atleast in central part of the state.

Post Your Comment
6/7/14 @ 9:41 PM
grizwald
grizwald
USER since 2/6/09
bluegills sitting on beds in the hayward area right now. Smile

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 13 Posts