inexpensive panfish rods

2/6/15 @ 8:40 PM
ORIGINAL POST
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
OK. I have a good friend who has a little 14' boat that we fish bluegills with spring to fall. I have my own boat, but we go in his quite often when we target gills. I have to lay my rods on his boat floor because he has no rod locker and I DO NOT WANT my good St. Croix Avid rods to get broken/stepped on. Anyway, I am looking to purchase 2 matching 5'-5'6" UL rods strictly for slip floats and they need to be under $40 each. I do not want fiberglass, and something that is fun to use and durable. Any suggestions?
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 Posts
2/11/15 @ 10:11 AM
eyeslayer007
eyeslayer007
USER since 1/27/14
When i was a kid biking all around my father would buy me cherry woods from the age 6 to 9 I broke 3 of them. They can take some abuse trust me, We would use them for catfish and the med heavy rods worked great.

Post Your Comment
2/7/15 @ 6:55 PM
grizwald
grizwald
USER since 2/6/09
i second the cherry woods. good cheap rods. only st criox I've broken is the one i through on the floor cuz i was pissed at the wind one spring. boy that was dumb. got me a new one though cuz of the warranty. Wink

Post Your Comment
2/7/15 @ 5:30 PM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
Thanks for the suggestion on the cherrywoods. I will check them out.

Post Your Comment
2/7/15 @ 3:38 PM
goju
goju
USER since 12/30/10
Try the Berkeley Cherrywood rods. They run around $25 andhave good feel and action. I prefer the longer ones. The 7'6" light action will throw ultralight lures farther with less effort than any 5 or 5 6: ultralight rod I have tried. They handle the light weight lines - under 4lbs - very well.

Post Your Comment
2/7/15 @ 11:53 AM
svitreum
svitreum
USER since 8/29/06
Well.......................because there is literally no-where else to put them, literally. Guess you would have to see his boat. He has 2 seats that are centered in the boat. Putting them "between the seats" equates to "being on the floor". The boat is old and narrow. Maybe 5' wide.

Post Your Comment
2/7/15 @ 9:35 AM
CBQRR1
CBQRR1
USER since 4/4/06
First question is why would you lay them on the bottom of the boat? I have a 14' V haul and it has three seats in it. I lay my rods between the seats. I have never once stepped on or broken my St. Croix rods. If you want a good cheap rod try Ugly Sticks.

Happy Fishing!

Cool

Post Your Comment