Giant panfish lakes in Wisconsin

9/8/15 @ 5:52 PM
ORIGINAL POST
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Echo Lake, Burlington, Wi. Weed line off boatlanding and drop off before Dam!
Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 44 Posts
2/13/17 @ 12:21 PM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

Mud lake , Bass lake .  Long lake .  Silver lake.    Eagle Lake

ALL have giants.

Edited on 2/13/17 12:24 PM
Post Your Comment
2/9/17 @ 5:36 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04

example - I fished three new lakes a total of 6 times this year before I finally found a pattern on big gills.    So that is 5 trips that were worthless or about 200+ holes.   

Post Your Comment
2/9/17 @ 2:01 PM
jaybeeturtle
jaybeeturtle
USER since 3/17/06

I Agee totally with the previous comments by the legendary Cds. I don't think most people have any idea about the wealth of info on this site alone. I have done hrs of research on LL and found lakes with huge panfish just by doing that. I won't be telling anyone what lakes they are, but you can do the same things I did. Disclaimer: unless there is a pic with a ruler, the fish are usually an inch less than reported. So I factor that into my research. The other thing that Chris mentioned, is that you gotta keep moving. In open water , I never stop moving unless I'm catching gills over 8 inch and perch 9 inch. I typically cover a huge area to catch 3 to 6 gills 9 to 11 inch in a day. Ice fishing, I'm drilling 60 to 80 holes a day, but it's harder, most days all the gills are under 9 inches. Usually, if the first half dozen fish I catch are under 7 inch, I move to another hole even tho they are still biting

Post Your Comment
2/5/17 @ 1:09 PM
river_chaser
river_chaser
USER since 10/3/12

For anyone looking for abundant and giant pannies go to Mud Lake. Awesome experience, 10 inch bluegill, 13 inch crappies and 20 inch bass.

Post Your Comment
2/3/17 @ 10:57 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

Thanks to this site there are too many naive people that actually think we care what you catch.  However,  we'll fish your spots when you are dummy and post them.  Oh the old days were so much better when the lazy people would just stay home and the people that actually know how to fish go out and fish.  GIANT panfish lakes don't exist in wisconsin.  Giant to me is 9.5-10.5 inch gills,  you'll be hard pressed to find a lake in WI that you'll see many 10's on a regular basis. MN, Iowa, ND, SD is a different story.  They have giants all over.  wisconsin fish is the same as it's hunting.  Over harvest.

Post Your Comment
2/10/16 @ 5:45 AM
guttersnake
guttersnake
USER since 9/15/05
What about Mendota deep flats in the summer should be good there.

Post Your Comment
2/5/16 @ 9:49 PM
TKfishes
TKfishes
USER since 8/23/09
What CDs said is highly accurate.. If you don't enjoy the search for big gills you will simply never find them. I love big bluegills they are by far imo the hardest fish to catch...now anyone can go out to the local meat hole and load up on 7 inch bluegill but it takes dedication and lots failing to be able to find them 10-12 inchers...I personally am on the hunt for a 13incher. Lakes with poor access are best however lakes with great access but not lots of fishing going on on them are good to. Forage water quality dissolved oxygen cover and the presence of a predator fish are key elements to look for with no one thing more important than the other.

Post Your Comment
2/1/16 @ 10:45 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
MEMBER since 12/22/04
that does not translate in populated areas because they are usually pounded through ice.

Post Your Comment
1/31/16 @ 2:44 AM
rottenfisher1
rottenfisher1
USER since 11/8/10
Look for lakes that have terrible boat landings. The biggest bluegills I have caught came from a 20 acre lake with poor access.

Post Your Comment
1/6/16 @ 5:23 PM
scmuskies
scmuskies
USER since 10/14/03
Going by the title, it all depends on what size lake you consider giant. There's only one true giant lake in WI with panfish, and that's Winnebago. Now, some of the flowages may be considered big/large/huge, but not quite giant sized like Winnebago.

As for lakes with giant panfish in them...

sc

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 44 Posts